• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Milesvdustin

Expert
    My wife is needing to apply for her concealed carry license, and I called and made an appointment at FWB today. July 2nd!!!!! Damn thats a long wait! Will it be faster for her to get her prints electronically at the escambia sheriffs office and mail the forms in? They said they only charge 5 bucks for the prints when I called them on the phone.

Ken232

Marksman
    faster to mail them from what I have been told

steponapoptop

Expert
    Funny, it took me forever when I did mine by mail earlier this year. My wife went to Ft Walton and got it back in 2 weeks. I was told the complete opposite at the fairgrounds by the CCW instructor. Guess word is out and people are going the in-house route now? Miles, wonder if they have a "waiting list" for last minute cancellations where you could jump in? Probably not being government run....

Milesvdustin

Expert
    I asked about a waiting list and they didn't have one. I think I will just go ahead and submit the paper copy for her. Seems easy to just get the prints done here without that long drive, and send em 70 bucks and be done with it.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Sending in the paperwork is quicker right now if you do the electronic prints and they are not rejected when they come to your application.

steve

Marksman
    If you mail paperwork in expect a long wait to receive your license. A few months ago the wait time for appointments at Ft. Walton was about one to two weeks and you would receive your license in one week. Now it takes about three to four months just to get an appointment. Also a few months ago if you mailed in paperwork you would receive your license in four to six months, now the expected delivery is one year. This is info I've gathered from recent CCW applicants so don't bash me if you have different info!

poff09

Marksman
    Got mine done in ft walt office last year..license came within 2 weeks..unfortunately no wait list..but they told us they have cancellations all the time..they told us to just call every couple days to see if anything opens

Robbie2883

Expert
    when you mail in it's a 6-8 week wait and any errors get kicked back and slow things down even more. if you go into fwb office they do all the pre-screening, background check and check for errors so a lot of the work is done ahead of time and that's why those come back so quick.

steve

Marksman
    Good point poff09, I forgot to mention that. They will not schedule an appointment in a cancellation spot; you go to the end of the list. You have to specifically ask if there are any cancellation spots available.

wildrider666

Master
    Did mine at the a regional office because paper ink prints are often rejected. I got my CCW in five days. Thought it was so quick due do my background but then I spoke to my buddy (we had back to back appts). He just had a DD214. He got his at the same time. This was long before the craziness. PD's doing electronic prints is really nice. I had not heard that was being done. Also not sure if all PD's do it now. If your PD does ink and standard print card I recommend you find a PD that does electronic prints or schedule a Appt. with Fl, DOA Lic Div to submit a package.

PDs with electronic print capability must sure make floaters easier (Only if it is a portable system as they ain't letting the big zip lock in the building).

Scrooge

Marksman
    I would go with the regional office FWB - less chance of screw ups on prints, form, ect.... my gf made her appt in Feb - the paat time given was 16 May. PPD here (Pens) is backed up 6 - 8 mos.
    Regional office is your best bet. Calling weekly to ask about any canc is a good idea....

steve

Marksman
    Just a quick note... If someone is considering getting their CCW it's rather simple. First, take a CCW or some class that meets Florida's requirement (Like the ones I give!). Make an appointment at the Dept of Agriculture 850 833-9146 111 Racetrack Rd Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. Bring a copy of the certificate, Florida ID (DL), and a check or money order for $112.00 and they do the rest; fingerprints, photo, background check etc.

Patoz

Marksman
    As a reference, I just renewed mine by mail and got it back in 18 days. You can also pay online for renewal now which will speed things up some too. However, mine was a renewal and not a new application, so basically I was already approved.

To pay online for renewal go here: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/payments.html , and scroll down to 'Concealed Weapon License Renewal - Florida Resident' or 'Concealed Weapon License Renewal - Non Florida Resident' and go from there.

Robbie2883

Expert
    Just a quick note... If someone is considering getting their CCW it's rather simple. First, take a CCW or some class that meets Florida's requirement (Like the ones I give!). Make an appointment at the Dept of Agriculture 850 833-9146 111 Racetrack Rd Ft. Walton Beach, Florida. Bring a copy of the certificate, Florida ID (DL), and a check or money order for $112.00 and they do the rest; fingerprints, photo, background check etc.

very good point. everyone has to have the class no matter what. they don't do that at the regional office.

Telum Pisces

Master
    As a reference, I just renewed mine by mail and got it back in 18 days. You can also pay online for renewal now which will speed things up some too. However, mine was a renewal and not a new application, so basically I was already approved.

To pay online for renewal go here: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/payments.html , and scroll down to 'Concealed Weapon License Renewal - Florida Resident' or 'Concealed Weapon License Renewal - Non Florida Resident' and go from there.

Also, the wait time (line) to renew your license is shorter than the wait time for a new license. I renewed mine about 2 months ago at the Ft. Walton office. Had an appoitment 1.5 weeks after calling and walked out with my new printed license.

wildrider666

Master
    very good point. everyone has to have the class no matter what. they don't do that at the regional office.

Incorrect. Everyone does not need the "class". There are several documents that are acceptable without having to attend a CCW Class from an instructor certified by any organization. A sample is if you have a DD-214 Military Discharge form. That is all you need. If you go to: icgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html You can find all the info you need.

Signal25

Master
    Made my appointment in Nov '12. Appointment was Feb 8th. Check cashed on Feb 15th. Got my card today.

steve

Marksman
    Good information Signal25. Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom