• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know what the cost/hassle is for buying a used car out of state and registering it in Florida?

Does vehicle age make a difference?

Rick

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe a VIN inspection needs to be completed in addition to all normal registration fees. When I registered my car from PA it was around $350 if I recall. I believe it's based weight and type of vehicle and then there is tax on the purchase price. Ask Stanley or Ian, they both should know for sure.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If yer buying out of state, you have to take vehicle to tax office for vin id. You pay Florida tax on ammount of vehicle when you register it. Don't pay tax in another state.

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If yer buying out of state, you have to take vehicle to tax office for vin id. You pay Florida tax on ammount of vehicle when you register it. Don't pay tax in another state.

This is all I had to do with my truck I bought in Mobile last year. Make sure to bring the bill of sale with you. Didnt pay tax at their lot but paid the Florida tax at our tax office.

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FL is going to charge you $225.00 extra for first-time registration in the state. It's in the link above under "new wheels".

Is this if you have never registered in Florida before? They didnt charge me that but I am a FL resident and have had several vehicles already here. The tag I transfered from my other truck so it wasnt a new tag so that might be why.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this if you have never registered in Florida before? They didnt charge me that but I am a FL resident and have had several vehicles already here. The tag I transfered from my other truck so it wasnt a new tag so that might be why.

It's waived if it's a replacement vehicle i.e. you're transferring a tag.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, this one's not going to be a replacement. Hopefully I can find what I want in FL but there's some great specimens in AL, GA and MS.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's waived if it's a replacement vehicle i.e. you're transferring a tag.

I'm pretty sure the waiver does not cover a vehicle never before registered in FL unless you dispose of the first vehicle. Disposed like scrapping it. I know that 12 years ago when (living in FL) I sold a vehicle, then bought a used vehicle in AL that FL charged me the fee even though I was transferring a tag.

"Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, provides for exemptions of the $225 Initial Registration fee. For example: when the vehicle being registered is a replacement vehicle for a vehicle that has been disposed. If the fee is not paid at this time and the owner decides to reregister the old vehicle, this will be an additional vehicle registered because the owner now has two vehicles registered instead of one."

Then again, I'm no lawyer.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so its not any different than buying in FL. U dont pay double tax thats a scare tactic from Fl dealers. U pay tax only for the state ur gonna register it.

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But Sam Elliot is as close as it gets without actually being one. That is why he is such a bad ass. I think a movie with the leads being Sam Elliot and Samual L. Jackson would be an instant hit. Two guys tough as nails that will take care of some business.

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't realize dealers used that line lol. What total BS. It would be funny to be in the situation for a salesman to ise that on you and be able to call him on it.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I recently bought my truck in AL, I paid AL sales tax and they deducted that percentage from my FL sales tax when I registered it. AL was like 2. something % and that was deducted from my FL sales tax. You just have to pay the full amount of sales tax where it is registered. I don't remember the exact numbers but if AL is 2% and FL is 6.5%, you pay 2% when purchased and 4.5% in FL when registered. I did transfer a tag before the tag was due so no extra charges but a transfer. If you are getting a new tag then you will be charged for that in FL no matter what. Hope this confusing paragraph clears something up lol.

For another hypothetical example, if you by in a state that has 10% sales tax on vehicles you will pay that at the time of purchase and you will not pay sales tax on the vehicle in FL. The Gov already got their taxes since FL sales tax is lower. They won't double charge you.

I bought from a dealer so it may be different if it's a private sale. If it's private and you get the title, I think you'd just pay FL taxes plus a title transfer and new or transferred tag fees.

Call the tag office and ask them, they will have no problem explaining it to you. That way there is no guessing.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm pretty sure the waiver does not cover a vehicle never before registered in FL unless you dispose of the first vehicle. Disposed like scrapping it. I know that 12 years ago when (living in FL) I sold a vehicle, then bought a used vehicle in AL that FL charged me the fee even though I was transferring a tag.

"Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, provides for exemptions of the $225 Initial Registration fee. For example: when the vehicle being registered is a replacement vehicle for a vehicle that has been disposed. If the fee is not paid at this time and the owner decides to reregister the old vehicle, this will be an additional vehicle registered because the owner now has two vehicles registered instead of one."

LOL, probably like every other government office, it depends on who you get. I've never been charged it and I've register two vehicles bought out of state in the last couple of years.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom