• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bruce and I headed out for a quick night hunt. I've been seeing a lot of signs lately of recent hog activity so I was confident it would be a good night. We staged in an area about 8:30. After 30 minutes we started hearing some noises. Eventually, Bruce picked up a couple images on his thermal that appeared to be deer. I just bought a night scope and was eager to try it out. I'm happy with the clarity but of course it doesn't compare to a thermal. Around 10:00, Bruce spots an image in the distant and decides to try and grt closer. I stay back thinking it was probably a deer and continue scanning. After about 5 min I hear a few shots. Well I wasn't sure what he shot, but my thought was it was probably a coyote. I started walking towards Bruce. When I met up with him, we walked about 50 feet and saw a real nice male hog. I was really happy for him and glad I could share the experience with him. I walked back to my house and grabbed the atv and loaded him up. Bruce took it to his house to clean. Now it's my turn!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      313 KB · Views: 362
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      334.4 KB · Views: 478

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I had spotted SOMETHING in the p-nut field to our left and felt maybe 55% sure it was a hog from seeing no head sticking up. Seconds later I spotted what I first thought was a deer to our right about 100yd. I told Chaps about the "deer" to our right, but he was in the middle of changing batteries. As I looked at the "deer" and the way it moved, I realized it was a coyote much closer when I saw it's tail. Naturally, it heard us talking and left. I couldn't safely shoot until it was about 150yd away due to a house about a half mile away, but then thought about the something in the field to our left and didn't want to scare it with a shot at a running coyote.

I looked back at the something, and it was a little closer and maybe a bit more hoggy, especially it's movements. I told Chaps I was gonna get closer and stalked towards it. Pretty quick I realized it was a hog. Now, I'm not a veteran of many hog kills, and in each of those 3, I only had a few seconds to see the hog and shoot. This time I had plenty of time for my heart to really get thumping and the adrenaline going. I got around 50 or so yards away and took a kneeling position to calm down and steady myself and turned on the red center dot of my scope. My aim was to hit the heart/lungs, and the bullet may have went a touch high for the heart or maybe it got a high hit on the heart, but it went through both lungs for sure. In the bottom pic of the hog in the p-nut field, see the bright red spot on the shoulder. That's where the bullet hit. The hog was at a slight angle to me, not completely sideways, and the bullet went through both lungs and stopped under the hide on the right side behind the shoulder. I'll post a pic of the bullet and the hog in my driveway later today. We both heard the first hit (supersonic, but my rifle had a suppressor on it), and the pig started running. I fired 3 more times, and on the last shot it flipped and stayed down. As best I can determine, the 2nd and 3rd shots nicked a hind leg and nicked one of his testicles. The last shot hit both front legs lower than the first shot and broke them both, which is way he flipped; it may have hit the bottom of the heart too as the bottom of his chest between the front legs was open. As I took the 4th shot, he was slowing down.

Now I don't know if he would have made it out of the field, as the first shot was certainly terminal, but not knowing exactly what was beyond the woods at the edge of the field, I took no chances and fired till he dropped. Our guestimated weight was 90-100lb. His shield was 7/8" thick and tuff. No wonder the bullet didn't penetrate both sides. Sawman and youtube videos make it look so easy to clean a hog....Ha! I got the front quarters, hams, and backstraps finally off and cooling on salted ice, taking about 4 times as long as Sawman and others take. That one cleaning used up a razor blade in my cleaning knife.

300BLK short bbl AR, Nivisys UTAC-32M clip-on thermal, Leupold Hog scope, hand loaded Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip bullet, Gemtech Quicksand titanium suppressor.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Congratz on the kill Bruce. That litle guy will be some fine eating. The backstraps will eat like ...... buddah. --- SAWMAN

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good job Daezee!i can't wait to shoot another hog with my 300 blk.i like the 125gr nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

The bullet made it through about 16" before it stopped on the opposite side under the gristle plate under the hide.

I took the shoulders, hams, and backstraps. They are soaking for a few days in Sawman's ice kosher salt slurry he taught me. dead-bird will be given a shoulder or two to smoke and make pulled pork from. My wife wants at a least one whole ham to cook in her crock pot. Backstraps will be cut in two to make four meals. He wasn't the "giant" hog I saw Tuesday night (decided not to shoot, as I didn't have a plan on how to move it...but now I do!), but nice sized, and I'm pleased as can be. Now if I was shooting from a static position (inside a shooting house or stand) where there wasn't as much walking, I'd probably take a longer barreled, heavier rifle with a touch more power (my 6.8 w/suppressor).

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How fast was that 125 going when it struck the hog ?? That seems to be adaquate expansion from the bullet ?? Did you happen to weigh it ?? --- SAWMAN

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How fast was that 125 going when it struck the hog ?? That seems to be adaquate expansion from the bullet ?? Did you happen to weigh it ?? --- SAWMAN

Bruce might of weighed him but he was about the size of my boxer and she weighs 100#.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    At 50yd calculated mv is 1977fps. Bullet weighs 109.5gr. Expansion looks like the picture on the bullet box of the 1900fps one. The shoulder plate must have slowed it down, as a side shot on a deer would have not stopped the bullet in my experience.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A real plus for the NosBalTip's is the extra thick base of the bullet. In your bullet pic,it extends up past where you see the lands have scored the bullet. These bullets are much better at the slow end of "optimal" than at the high end or above. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    dead-bird delivered the pulled pork he made from the above hog's shoulders. I just finished eating a sandwich from same...Delicious! I put a little Jack Daniels BBQ sauce on it, otherwise plain. I think my wife will love it...she likes pulled pork (her brother has a pulled pork BBQ place in Tennessee, and she brings some back whenever she visits). Last night my son and daughter in law had me over for dinner and served pulled pork (domestic pig). Each of the two had different flavors as they were prepared/cooked differently, but both were awesome. The wild hog was not hard to chew, about like what my wife brings from Tn. Eating this pulled wild hog pork was a GREAT MOTIVATOR TO GET ANOTHER HOG.

dead-bird says he thinks he can do better the next time and has some ideas to try. Two other guys at the range where dead-bird and I met this morning tried some samples. Both liked it, and one doesn't like to eat pork.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Took pork sample to Uber's today when I picked up my Ruger single-seven .327 Magnum...it was a BIG hit...you'll probably hear about it on your next visit there.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom