• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recondo 101

Expert
    Took my 20ga and 28ga guns out to a bird shoot yesterday. The triggers and safety were a bit sticky. Apparently the oil had got to be more like varnish than oil. Hard way to find out, but my Wheelie Bird was down so did not get to throw a few clay bids the day before.
    Saw a half dozen folks at the shoot with sticky safeties, extractors, pumps, etc., that had multiple function problems. Including myself. Best to check to make sure that those guns that have set up for months will still function in all respects before you take them to the field.

Good guns that still need a bit of care and the result was 100% my fault.

Welldoya

Master
    Always keep a can of WD-40 in your truck.
    I once bought a semi-auto 20 gauge and didn’t shoot or clean it before going out to shoot quail . Jammed like crazy.
    I took the fore end off, turned it upside down and sprayed the heck out of it with WD-40.
    Worked fine after that.

Boogan1

Master
    WD-40 is one of the worst things you can spray in or on a gun. That stuff turns to varnish quicker than anything. I don't know how many guns over the years I have seen that were so gummed up they wouldn't work and the owner used WD-40. I have used G96, which is the original CLP , for over 50 years. I have guns that have sat in the safe for over 10 years that I cleaned and lubed with G96 and when I take them out they function like new. No gumming or varnish.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Please use G-96 as a spray, not WW-40. My Dad was a WD-40 guy and everything he owned was gummed up bad, after he died. I had to soak every gun in a parts washer to get it off. You can order it, not many stores carry it.
    I carry a can of G-96 with me all over the world, for my rifles and shotguns. It displaces water and dissolves fouling, including old oil, in shotgun bores, spray shotgun bores, let it set muzzle down in a garbage can for two hours, bore snake then will clean the bore out like a mirror, including plastic shot cup residue.
    But putting a bit of fresh, thin gun oil on the safety and operating it, the pump slide/mag tube and working it, the action, including the bolt, etc, does a lot to stop the sticky function from long term setting up.

BluesBrother

Master
    WD-40 is one of the worst things you can spray in or on a gun. That stuff turns to varnish quicker than anything. I don't know how many guns over the years I have seen that were so gummed up they wouldn't work and the owner used WD-40. I have used G96, which is the original CLP , for over 50 years. I have guns that have sat in the safe for over 10 years that I cleaned and lubed with G96 and when I take them out they function like new. No gumming or varnish.
    I have had great luck with Ballistol as well.

Welldoya

Master
    I’m not saying use WD-40 as a permanent solution. I’m saying in a pinch to cut the crud, then clean and oil as normal when you get home.
    It saved my quail hunting that day and the gun was just fine until I sold it back to the original owner.
    I mostly use Breakfree CLP but I always have a can of WD-40 in my truck toolbox.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom