• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is my first post here so let me start by saying Hey Everyone! I got into reloading back in December and have really enjoyed it so far. I built me a nice bench after learning for a few weeks on a sheet of wood sat on top of two saw horses. Anyway, I wanted to post the difficulty I had trying to get a Browning A Bolt in 308 to hold a pattern. This was the case since I bought the gun and I never felt comfortable with it so I usually grabbed by trusty 243 when hunting. Even factory ammo would produce 5" groups, no better.

So, after finally getting some brass (New Norma), my quest was to get the Browning accurate. I really like the Sierra Gameking 165Gr bullets and was able to get 400 of them. I tried BLC(2), H335, Varget, CFE223 and H414 and couldn't get much better than the factory ammo. The H414 was the best but still only a 2.5" group at 100 yards.

I tried various loads of all the powders listed above but hadn't changed the bullet, case or primer. I thought maybe there was a problem with the gun and had the scope checked but nothing seemed visibly wrong. Got a wild hair and decided to hit Bass Pro to see if they has any different bullets and powder. I was able to get some Barnes TSX in 150Gr and 165Gr and lucked up on someone putting a can of IMR4064 on the shelf. I went home, loaded up 50 rounds with different combos and hit the range the next day. WOW!!! All bullets grouped great with the IMR4064 and some were even touching each other.

I went back to the range the next day after reloading several in the best load from the day before and I was able to find what the gun likes. Basically 42.5gr of IMR4064 with a Sierra Gameking 165 Grain SP ended up being the best. Avg speed is 2632FPS.

I have attached the details of what I found in testing so maybe it can be useful to someone else.

Attachments

• chart..jpg
      chart..jpg
      317.8 KB · Views: 153

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Welcome. I'm glad you finally found a load that works well. I've been working on building a precision rifle in 308 that will mainly be used for hunting and I'm about to start loading for it. I've got some 165gr Hornady SST's and a couple lbs of 4064 that I'll probably use. Maybe it's my computer, but I can't read any of the text of the chart you posted. It's too small and I can't seem to zoom in on it.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure, it looks OK on mine but who knows. I can upload the excel file if you want but I'd have to change the extension and then you'd have to change it back since this forum doesn't allow me to upload spreadsheets. Or I can email it to you if it would be of any help.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Can't seem to see it on my Mac either. Toooooo small.

Depending on what you will be hunting, give some of the lighter bullets a try. Specifically the "no lead" variety. The Barnes TSX and the TTSX shoot extremely well in most 308Win's,30-'06's and even the 300Win Mags. You will find that they are longer than the lead make-up bullets of the same weight but the added velocity will gain you better trajectory's.

My bullet of choice coming outta my 16" 308 is a 125gr NosBalTip at 2850. Another great powder for the 308 is 748. This is what pushes most any load out of any 308 that I own. --- SAWMAN

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome.

Hmm. I can see his table just fine. Maybe 'cause I'm running winders. Don't know nuttin' about no macs.

You seem to have your loads down. Don't forget there are tweaks you can try with the rifle itself to really tighten them up. Bedding and various ways of floating the barrel or putting pressure points under the barrel.

I have been reloading since the 70s but .308 is a new caliber for me as far as reloading goes. Both 4064 and W748 have worked good for me so far. I'm loving the Barnes TSX bullets.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got my best accuracy with 40.5 grs 4064 and 168gr Matchkings. This load shot one ragged hole at 100 with a 700 Varmit. The powder is a bitch to throw though, like loading with macaroni.

Rick

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I do plan on tweaking the loads some more with seating depth. I have the OAL gauge and have the measurements to the lands but I wanted to get a load that was close to start. I didn't feel 6"+ groups would really be a good starting point. I also plan on learning more about the gun and what can be done to help it our, like bedding and so on.

I like the Barnes too, only shot paper with them so far though and man are they expensive compared to the Sierra.

Here's a link to the file. http://i.imgur.com/DU0Op3h.jpg The Sierra's are 2145 and the Barnes are 30843 and 30841.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got my best accuracy with 40.5 grs 4064 and 168gr Matchkings. This load shot one ragged hole at 100 with a 700 Varmit. The powder is a bitch to throw though, like loading with macaroni.

Rick

It did OK in my Lee powder drop, but it handles "macaroni":smile: powder pretty well and only crunched a few times. I measure all hunting loads so I drop them a little light and top them off with a trickler.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey SouthBound, I see you live in Cantonment. I have various powders that are suitable for either heavy or light bullet usage in 308Win loads. You are most welcome to give them a try. Bring an appropriate small container(s) over and I will GIVE YOU enough powder for 5 loads or so to try out. This might save you from having to buy a can that you end up not using. (ALL my powders are treated/stored correctly.) PM me if interested or if I can help in your reloading practices/procedures. I reload for several 308Win's. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom