• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOOKING FOR MILITARY PULLED AND OR TRUE AP (TUNGSTEN) HEADS IN THE FOLLOWING CALIBERS,CASH IS IN HAND,PM'S ONLY PLEASE..I assume they are legal as I saw them selling in 30-06 at the last pcola gun show,and the place was infested with atf..I will buyjust the bullets themselves or complete cartriges. here are the calibers I am needing (WOULD BE HAPPY WITH 100 OF EA.."

5.56/.223 black tip not green please
    5.7 AP
    7.62X39 API
    THANKS,AWAITING YOUR PM,
    MATT

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh the things we would do differently.

Back in the 70s a friend of the family gave me a sealed ammo can of black tip .30-06. A buddy and I shot a few (scary what they will go through). I pulled the bullets on the rest and re-sized to .25-06. LC 59 was the head stamp. I can't find but six or so bullets now. A bunch of them I twisted apart at the cannelure to get the core out. Makes one helluva center punch.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    LOOKING FOR MILITARY PULLED AND OR TRUE AP (TUNGSTEN) HEADS IN THE FOLLOWING CALIBERS,CASH IS IN HAND,PM'S ONLY PLEASE..I assume they are legal as I saw them selling in 30-06 at the last pcola gun show,and the place was infested with atf..I will buyjust the bullets themselves or complete cartriges. here are the calibers I am needing (WOULD BE HAPPY WITH 100 OF EA.."

5.56/.223 black tip not green please
    5.7 AP
    7.62X39 API
    THANKS,AWAITING YOUR PM,
    MATT

The bullets are legal to have...the 30 cal AP bullets you saw being sold are being sold for me by a friend that puts them out on his table. We share the profits. He just sold 500 more for me on Gunbroker and got 12 cents each more than what he was getting at the show. These are pulled 30/06 163gr AP bullets. I find them more accurate than M2 ball bullets in 30/06.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Is there a difference between the black tipped and the green tipped?

The black tipped 5.56mm bullets (USGI) have a shaped tungsten core. Green tipped have a steel core. Green tipped are not officially considered armor piercing. Never seen blacktipped 5.56 for sale other than onesy-twosy as collector ammo. I'd beware of people painting the tips of loaded ammo black.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "swamped" Milsurp stuff the JJ and I cleaned and shot last week was British black tipped ammo. We did see a few rounds "burn" into the manhole cover we were hitting at 200+ yards...

image-1845646661.jpg

Attachments

• image-1845646661.jpg
      image-1845646661.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 282

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The black tipped 5.56mm bullets (USGI) have a shaped tungsten core. Green tipped have a steel core. Green tipped are not officially considered armor piercing. Never seen blacktipped 5.56 for sale other than onesy-twosy as collector ammo. I'd beware of people painting the tips of loaded ammo black.

You nailed it with all of the above.I was hoping to pick up5-10 here and there to fill a pmag over time.There is literally TONS of B.S. blacktips out there like you said(and I did in the tittle of the post).I have ran into a couple but were outrageously priced at 10.00 per round. Wish we could get incendiary or wpap in Florida...

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright F@S you an Jerome found ma stash, I almost let it sit fer a little spell to long HUH??? LOL.. Its amazing that stuff will dig in deep hitting steel plates, Thats a right nice box o beast feed there. It would be like jj to touch off a few on a inocent manhole cover,, LOL I have had the older good stuff back awhile would go in an make a turn like a U an come back out of the cover if it was leaning in a angle. I Know ( keep it at 90 o Tom,,, LOL olecarver

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We shot some of this at 1" steel plates a ways back, to test the penetration, that old goat herder Daezee was in on it too. Very few completely penetrated at 100 yds but all went in far enough to dimple the back side. We also found a bunch of the penetrators, still needle sharp, laying on the ground BETWEEN us and the target. So, use utmost caution when blasting away at steel with these puppies, they will rebound.

Also, while wondering just what these were made of I did a little research, mainly because I too thought they were tungsten. Tungsten is non-magnetic but these penetrators are. Research told me they are made of steel, a very, very hard steel but steel none the less.

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I all my years of shooting I have never seen a AP 7.62 NATO, nor a blacktipped 5.56. The 5.56 SS109s had green tips and have a steel penetrator core. We tested these on the 1" steel plate too, not very impressive. They made about a 1/4" dimple in the steel while the US 30 cal APs damn near went through, several actually did.

I know there's 7.62 NATO APs but I've never seen any, especially for sale. Could it be using the exact same bullet as the US 30 cal? They did this on the US 30 cal M-72 match and the 7.62NATO M-118 long range match rounds, same exact bullet.

Rick

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    APIs are a whole different animal, make a pretty flash on target. Good for lighting up fuel tanks. Silver tips in 30 cal.

Rick

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I all my years of shooting I have never seen a AP 7.62 NATO, nor a blacktipped 5.56. The 5.56 SS109s had green tips and have a steel penetrator core. We tested these on the 1" steel plate too, not very impressive. They made about a 1/4" dimple in the steel while the US 30 cal APs damn near went through, several actually did.

I know there's 7.62 NATO APs but I've never seen any, especially for sale. Could it be using the exact same bullet as the US 30 cal? They did this on the US 30 cal M-72 match and the 7.62NATO M-118 long range match rounds, same exact bullet.

Rick

7.62mm Nato AP M61 uses a bullet around 150.5gr, not the same as the 30/06 USGI AP. The reason for the lighter, shorter bullet is so the 7.62mm Nato can get the bullet going fast enough to penetrate better. The 30/06 AP bullet shot out of the 7.62mm Nato round can't get going super fast.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I guess that's why the Garands were making deeper holes than the 163grs I loaded in 7.62 ammo the day we did all the testing.
    Glad you're here to keep me straight !

Rick

Latest posts

Top Bottom