• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBtown

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey fellas,

I'm looking into biometric safes for a night stand. I have kids so I need to keep it locked up, but also want quick access if needed. I've never used them and I'm looking for user advice. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks guys,
    Will

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't help you with the safe, mine are grown and gone and I when the were young everything was locked up in a gun cabinet. I did and do recommend that you start educating them on gun safety, work to eliminate the curiosity that will drive them to pick up, play with or otherwise handle if for any reason they do discover it. Of course the education has to be age and maturity appropriate and the safe securing of the weapon is an immediate priority.

GBtown

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Everything is locked away in the safe now and they get educated often. They like to shoot and are curious, and are great learners. Thanks Famine

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the 9G Imprint bio safe. Opens in less than a second and is VERY secure. I locked some candy bars in mine and gave it to my grandchildren to see if they could open it. They gave up after several hours. Yet it opens reliably for myself and my wife. My son and daughter have one of their own in their homes too. They have enough room inside for a loaded double stack 1911 and an extra mag.

Personally, I have little to no faith in education as a stand alone safety measure. Sure, I show them what a firearm can do, how it hurts your ears and what to do if they come across one unsecured but I still keep the weapons locked up and sleep well.

http://9gproducts.com/products

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I thought the Hornady was VERY impressive, until it locked up a $2500 handgun. Luckily, it didn't happen when I really needed it. I had to cut the cable and take it to a locksmith, who destroyed it to get my gun out. NOT impressed.
    All together, I'd skip biometric, or keypads for that matter, too much to go wrong. The failure rates are too high for such an important job. Go with a small safe with a mechanical lock, and each night, set it to the penultimate number, and install a dial light ($30), and give it a good spin in the morning. JMO, YMMV, etc...

GBtown

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate it. I've read quite a bit about failure rates and that is definitely a concern based on the circumstances for when it would really be needed. It's fast, unless it fails.... Fort Knox and V-line are a couple I've read about with high marks. The GunVault SpeedVault SV500 is also highly recommended from articles. Take it for what it's worth. Anyone recommend a specific make and/or model? Thanks!

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Good input Dan1612, nothing replaces owner responsibility. Easy is almost never the right way; be it leaving a gun in a car/truck, or in a special safe place coded by science. Behind a good mechanical lock is safest, and it takes discipline to develope the habits that keep firearms secure and not accessable for kids.

I agree training kids alone is not the answer, kids are too inquisitive. The owner is responsible. Even with just me and the wife in the house, my night time pistol goes into the safe before I leave the house, leaving only the wife's house pistol out and not secure.

Top Bottom