• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    A buddy asked my opinion on the best AR-15 right now for around $1000. I have not really been keeping up lately so I figured I would ask here. Let’s assume at least a factory built complete upper and lower. Not a pistol, so carbine or mid-length. I said the first question that stands out to me is do you want standard “mil-spec” style setup or free-float.

My initial thought was PSA and a case of ammo but that was not the question. My suggestion was look at Aero Precision.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here’s a few ideas on good solid basic AR-15 choices…
    all prices ballpark from gun deals (dot) com. Good choices, good price points. A Colt 6920 may be found for around this price also if you look hard.

FN FN 15 Patrol Carbine $ 870
    S&W Volunteer XV $ 900
    Ruger AR-15 $ 680
    PSA PA-15. $500

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Unless your buddy is squared away in optics and ammo, I'd drop money on this and spend the rest on mags, ammo, optic, etc.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Did you ask him BEST FOR WHAT ?? What is his intended use ? Did he factor in the cost of optics in that $ 1000.00, Ect.ect.ect.ect.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aero M4e1 receiver set with whatever furniture you want, decent handguard, nitride bcg, ambi charging handle and a "good" trigger is easy enough to build under $1k with money left over. If you wanted it all in the gun, you could probably get a CHF barrel and still be under $1k

Misfeed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Larue's ultimate upper kit, and if you like things to match, his billet lower. Last one I bought was right under $1k for a complete rifle. Comes in a couple calibers and barrel lengths. Finding it in stock these days is the issue.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May not be exactly in his price range....save a little more and I'd look very very hard at LaRue Tactical.

hkrandomnes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would say if he was going to buy an AR in which he wanted premium options without changing a thing, saving up a few hundred more for the LWRC IC-DI is probably the best option. Best bang for your buck out the box, full ambi lower and not a single thing you'd really want to upgrade or change. Slap an optic and light on that thing and you're good to go. If he is the type to go down the AR rabbit hole like most of us are, starting with the AERO M4E1 Upper and Lowers is your best bet.
    For an AR right out the box under that $1000 number, the IWI Z-15 is probably the best sub $750 gun that has literally all the basic upgrades you would want/need and still gives you enough spending money to get a romeo 5 and streamlight and be ready to go under $1000.

Kowpot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just makes it under the $1000.00. But I like the Springfield Saint. I have one and I am very happy with it. It's the only AR I own that I didn't build myself.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I have a saint I've never shot and a saint edge. The edge has never hiccupped or failed with any ammo. Very little to no recoil for a pistol and the factory flip ups are more accurate than I can shoot. I always grab the edge for it's Gucci look. I need to shoot the std saint to see if I can tell any difference.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I started with a Ruger.
    I've seen diamondback ARs with a lot of features at a value price.
    I'd advise a free floating upper, adjustable stock.
    Besides the shooter, two most important parts that effect accuracy are the barrel and trigger. I've had great, good, and bad milspec triggers. Barrels- I'm less informed about. But i think chrome lined barrels and thicker profile barrels will generally give greater accuracy and longevity.
    That FN upper that stage20 has for sell is sweet!

Artemus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Build your own. My first was under $500 with a Palmetto blem lower to start. Built all ambi and it runs.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Colt isn't what it used to be. There's clear evidence that they're either farming out the lower parts or at the very least cutting corners on the CR6920s vs the the old LE6920s. The triggers especially.. Not saying colt is no good just be aware that things have changed if your used to the LE rifles. I'd build it or buy an Aero and shoot the hell out of it and then upgrade the stuff you don't like. If you do go the build your own route you will become addicted and build more.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like Aero Precision stuff for 'inexpensive' ARs.

I tried PSA and while they are functional, the little extra for Aero is worth it IMO.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    +1 for PSA. ~$550 will get you a modern flat top MLok AR and you can use the leftover cash for a nice optic and ammo. S&W are also quite nice for the price, and Windham Weaponry are also an honourable mention for excellent quality.

In regards to Colt; the Colt brand has been bought and sold maybe a dozen times within the last century. Colt now is definitely not Colt circa 80s and 90s, and 80s and 90s Colt was not 1800s Colt. Their brand name has run the gambit of quality from great to crap, and has been owned by people who care and literal Wallstreet sharks who buy companies to milk the value. The recent CZ purchase points to Colt being a better quality version of itself again but it's still too new to tell. The new production Colts I've handled feel fine, but honestly I was more impressed by PSA and Smith and Wessons.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom