• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Theres so many different ak rails by different manufacturers idk where to start. Could someone point me in the right direction as far as which one would be ideal for a red dot or prism scope? Thanks
    Flow

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    At one point I would have said RS Regulate, but, now I am partial to this -

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At one point I would have said RS Regulate, but, now I am partial to this -

Does it hold the optic center over the dust cover? I think I read somewhere that it holds it a little off center but it could be the midwest industry one I'm thinking of. Did you get the full rail or the rear biased? I would hate to get the rear biased then want to put a scope on or get the full rail and never use the front half lol.

Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with the rs regulate after some investigation and suggestions on this forum and its done me good on a sam7sf. Installation is easy and it seem very solid. No complaints at all though I can't say I put it though any torture tests. I put one of the aimpoint clone type of holosun on it.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The thing that drives me crazy about the rs is its like 200 bucks for top and bottom mounts...I could get a lot nicer prism sight for the extra dough. And theres so many configurations it's hard to know which I would prefer. Is there a place in town that sells the rs mounts to make an exchange easier? That's the other thing good luck finding an rs mount lol

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does it hold the optic center over the dust cover? I think I read somewhere that it holds it a little off center but it could be the midwest industry one I'm thinking of. Did you get the full rail or the rear biased? I would hate to get the rear biased then want to put a scope on or get the full rail and never use the front half lol.

I bought the full rail - have it and not need it vs need it and not have it mentality and the optic is centered.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most AKs when mated with the most common ammo out there are not tack drivers. I never saw the need for magnification and figured a co-witnessed red dot was enough. I am seeing at best a head at 100 yards and hitting an upper torso at 200 yards. I will concentrate optics spending on my ARs that are more accurate.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most AKs when mated with the most common ammo out there are not tack drivers. I never saw the need for magnification and figured a co-witnessed red dot was enough. I am seeing at best a head at 100 yards and hitting an upper torso at 200 yards. I will concentrate optics spending on my ARs that are more accurate.
    But you like to mount your red dot in a scout like position? I was thinking an etched reticle 2x or 3x prism sight might be nice on an ak

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just bought a magnamatic sight tool. I'm going to perfect iron sights first then I'll probably try a red dot or prism hence my asking about rails. I would want something with quick release to be able to get back to iron sights quickly and something that doesn't have to rezero

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ultimak and don't look back.
    I am able to have a red dot with lower 1/3 co-witness with factory iron sights.
    Optics on a dust cover never seem like a good idea to me.
    The downside to the ultimak is that you can burn your fingers on it. I found rubber-plastic thingies that attach to the picatinny rail that help prevent burning my fingers.
    I suspect that the ultimak might improve the accuracy of the AK barrel, but I have not preformed any critical testing to find out.

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The downside to the ultimak is that you can burn your fingers on it. I found rubber-plastic thingies that attach to the picatinny rail that help prevent burning my fingers.
    I suspect that the ultimak might improve the accuracy of the AK barrel, but I have not preformed any critical testing to find out.
    I've run the snot out of it and never noticed a heat issue, but I also run a full length Zuchov forend. (And often wore gloves, Back when i could spare enough ammo to be concerned with heat issues)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've run the snot out of it and never noticed a heat issue, but I also run a full length Zuchov forend. (And often wore gloves, Back when i could spare enough ammo to be concerned with heat issues)
    I have a mak 90 with the ultimak replacing the upper forearm of the stock. I never wear gloves. i train with the same clothing I would be wearing out on the street or at home. I would grab the AK and stick an extra mag in my pocket. I will not be grabbing gloves. I purchased enough steel case in past years for moderate shooting for training.
    Does not take too many rounds to burn fingers

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    RS regulate is the way to go.

Anything that goes over the gas tube is a bad idea. They get hot and can cause optics to drift and lose zero. Also it feels much more natural to aim from where the RS mounts with a front biased.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I have a mak 90 with the ultimak replacing the upper forearm of the stock. I never wear gloves. i train with the same clothing I would be wearing out on the street or at home. I would grab the AK and stick an extra mag in my pocket. I will not be grabbing gloves. I purchased enough steel case in past years for moderate shooting for training.
    Does not take too many rounds to burn fingers
    If you're aiming like you should be (unless you're facing down a whole platoon of North Koreans in WW3) you'll never heat up a rifle hot enough to require gloves. Any rifle. Unless you're a sissy. :) I've caught Romanian AK handguards on fire with three back to back drum mags, without gloves on, and was just fine as long as I stayed on the handguards. My first AK was a Saiga that didn't have an upper handguard, and I burned the crap out of myself. All it took was once.... and even then, it wasn't so bad as too require any kind of response other than a few choice words.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're aiming like you should be (unless you're facing down a whole platoon of North Koreans in WW3) you'll never heat up a rifle hot enough to require gloves. Any rifle. Unless you're a sissy. :) I've caught Romanian AK handguards on fire with three back to back drum mags, without gloves on, and was just fine as long as I stayed on the handguards. My first AK was a Saiga that didn't have an upper handguard, and I burned the crap out of myself. All it took was once.... and even then, it wasn't so bad as too require any kind of response other than a few choice words.
    The ultimak is metal and not a handguard and replaces the gas cylinder and is clamped to the barrel. Have you used an ultimak. The upper hand guard is removed and replaced with the ultimak.

Typical AR15.com post on the subject.
    [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Ultimak upper rail gets HOT. Anyone have a solution?

Posted: 8/27/2010 9:05:48 AM CDT

After about a mag through the gun, I found myself burning the tips of my fingers on the sides of the upper rail. I'm not doing some high-speed AFG-type grip or anything, just the typical support hand on the handguard.

Aside from wearing gloves, is there a solution for this? I had considered applying some kind of insulating material to the rail's edges, but I'm not sure yet.
    Plastic strips help a little.
    1617196886854.png

1617196510316.png

1617196413398.png

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    If you're on a budget, I was really happy with my cheaper UTG pro side rail mount. Got it shipped for less than $45 from opticsplanet and it is USA made. Always returned to zero after removing and installing. That way you can take the money you saved and get a swankier optic!

The AK gets an unfair rap for accuracy. It may not have 300 locking lugs like an AR but I never find myself not hitting what I'm trying to.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're on a budget, I was really happy with my cheaper UTG pro side rail mount. Got it shipped for less than $45 from opticsplanet and it is USA made. Always returned to zero after removing and installing. That way you can take the money you saved and get a swankier optic!

The AK gets an unfair rap for accuracy. It may not have 300 locking lugs like an AR but I never find myself not hitting what I'm trying to.
    The steel combloc ammo is part of the problem. If you load it yourself your accuracy may improve. Make sure of course that the flash hidder is tight. A rack grade AK should have the same accuracy as a rack grade M1 Garand. About 3 MOA with decent ammo.

Olopez

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just got the rear biased master mount and it’s pretty damn solid and low profile. They offer a full rail as well, highly recommend

Top Bottom