• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaterSalad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First post. Hello everyone!

I'm thinking about a 308 for my next purchase and wanted to get some insight from more experienced shooters.

Contenders I can think of are:
    AR-10 Platforms
    FAL
    SCAR 17
    M1A

Some considerations I have are:
    Which has best accuracy?
    Most reliable?
    Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades?
    Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Most customizable would be the AR10 for sure, though I don't know it's the best. All the platforms aside from the M1A have seen a great deal of military/LEO service. The M1A/M14 had a rather short stint because it's just so damned heavy and complicated. The FAL has a proven track record. There's also the Tavor 7 is about to go into IDF use if it isn't already, and packs full power 308 in a very compact package suitable for CQB. If I had to choose a .308 rifle to take into battle, it would probably be the DesertTech MDR, but I don't think it's in any military service currently.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Typically, when one talks about a .308 Battle Rifle, they are generally talking about the M14/M1A and FAL/L1A1. You could include the SR-25/M110. Personally, when I think of a .308 Battle Rifle, I immediately think of the FAL/L1A1 platform. There are enough aftermarket accessories to support the customization of this platform to make it useful for defense and for hunting. You can do fixed stocks or folding stocks. Various barrel lengths also available. DS Arms is the premier FAL source and make great FALs (SA-58).

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1. Which has best accuracy? Non-budget AR10s and SCAR17
    2. Most reliable? Non-budget AR10s and SCAR17
    3. Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades? Non-budget AR10s and M1A
    4. Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally? Ah, no idea
    I have a Colt CM762 (AR10 pattern rifle) and its a great rifle, shooting PPU M80 ball very accurately (at 1.5 MOA out to 400 yards). So much so that I don't shoot anything out of it anymore. SCAR 17 is accurate as well.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1. Which has best accuracy? Non-budget AR10s and SCAR17
    2. Most reliable? Non-budget AR10s and SCAR17
    3. Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades? Non-budget AR10s and M1A
    4. Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally? Ah, no idea
    I have a Colt CM762 (AR10 pattern rifle) and its a great rifle, shooting PPU M80 ball very accurately (at 1.5 MOA out to 400 yards). So much so that I don't shoot anything out of it anymore. SCAR 17 is accurate as well.
    What would prevent them from being able to hunt whitetail legally?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Welcome.
    For the money I find my SIG 716i is hard to beat. It's the lighter DI version of the piston. Has alot of AR15 parts and feels like an AR15 in the hands. You don't have a whole new manual of arms to learn either. It's the new Indian Army main rifle I've read, so it's seeing service and will be around for a while I think. If ya can find one used it will likely hold its value more than a custom build too. Its cheaper than a SCAR and more reliable than many other 308 options. Comes out of the box with not much that needs changed. Seems like a nice choice for the money

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hands down the AR10 version is the best. Accuracy- check; Modularity- check; Functionality- check; Ergonomics- check; Economics- check; Self Maintenance- check.

FN-FAL variants- heavy with shit ergonomics and so-so accuracy (standard configuration) with little to no modularity.

HK/PTR91- same but heavier.

It’s not hard to build an MOA capable AR10 type rifle that’s not overly heavy and can be changed to meet operational goals... all while being affordable and user friendly.

I had a Gun South import FN-FAL para and a HK91 back in the day, zero regrets selling them.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Hands down the AR10 version is the best. Accuracy- check; Modularity- check; Functionality- check; Ergonomics- check; Economics- check; Self Maintenance- check.

FN-FAL variants- heavy with shit ergonomics and so-so accuracy (standard configuration) with little to no modularity.

HK/PTR91- same but heavier.

It’s not hard to build an MOA capable AR10 type rifle that’s not overly heavy and can be changed to meet operational goals... all while being affordable and user friendly.

I had a Gun South import FN-FAL para and a HK91 back in the day, zero regrets selling them.
    Typically, FALs are good and accurate out to around 600 yards. I know a little about these as I used to own four variants. They shot amazingly well.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    What would you consider using in your term a "battle rifle" for ?
    Best accuracy , at what distance ? **
    Do you reload ?
    There are 3 different patterns that large frame AR's are built for. They are not like AR 15's where all after market items fit everything. Only one of the large frames come close to that, and that is DPMS type.
    ** ALL rifles have a certain accuracy capability , meaning if , for example an M-110 shoots 1 MOA at 100 yds. then it will shoot 1 MOA at 1000 yds.
    IT is the "master trigger linkage" ie; the person behind the rifle operating the trigger that determines the actual accuracy of any weapon

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    First post. Hello everyone!

I'm thinking about a 308 for my next purchase and wanted to get some insight from more experienced shooters.

Contenders I can think of are:
    AR-10 Platforms
    FAL
    SCAR 17
    M1A

Some considerations I have are:
    Which has best accuracy?
    Most reliable?
    Most support for aftermarket parts/ upgrades?
    Can it be made to hunt whitetail legally?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
    @M118LR - I'm sure will have some advice on this topic.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Welcome.
    For the money I find my SIG 716i is hard to beat. It's the lighter DI version of the piston. Has alot of AR15 parts and feels like an AR15 in the hands. You don't have a whole new manual of arms to learn either. It's the new Indian Army main rifle I've read, so it's seeing service and will be around for a while I think. If ya can find one used it will likely hold its value more than a custom build too. Its cheaper than a SCAR and more reliable than many other 308 options. Comes out of the box with not much that needs changed. Seems like a nice choice for the money
    Ahh, it's an AR 10 with SIG! pricetag. $1,700. Nope! Fine weapon I'm sure, just not for me to drag around and ding up. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the C308 for deer or cannibal looters. Plus no hk slap!

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    DSA once offered a “Grey Wolf” which I would assume was capable of MOA performance but I never actually bought one... that I would have liked to try.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ahh, it's an AR 10 with SIG! pricetag. $1,700. Nope!
    Only other ready "out of the box" AR10 that I've heard of yet that's in this weight class is the Ruger model. It's handgaurd sucks tho I've heard and some saying it's got issues. Haven't chased the AR10s topic much as once I got this one I haven't had to study AR10s since tbh. I do know what I had years ago prior was a SAIGA 308. People rave about it but I don't miss the weight none at all lol. No regrets lol.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Only other ready "out of the box" AR10 that I've heard of yet that's in this weight class is the Ruger model. It's handgaurd sucks tho I've heard and some saying it's got issues. Haven't chased the AR10s topic much as once I got this one I haven't had to study AR10s since tbh. I do know what I had years ago prior was a SAIGA 308. People rave about it but I don't miss the weight none at all lol. No regrets lol.
    They are heavy just like the hk91, fal, cetame etc. Unless you build it lighter then you get more 308 bump. But you have lrbho unlike the other rifles. After shooting them for awhile, you know when its empty. I like the cetame style rifles. Hk, l1a1 etc.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    They are heavy just like the hk91, fal, cetame etc. Unless you build it lighter then you get more 308 bump. But you have lrbho unlike the other rifles. After shooting them for awhile, you know when its empty. I like the cetame style rifles. Hk, l1a1 etc.
    Yeah and no CH in way and able to mount lights, lasers, FLIR, 2 turntables and microphone, and midget with a colt 45 on to the end, ya know... the basics lol

Top Bottom