• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TURTLE

Marksman
    I just saw a huge very cool looking vehicle turn down Doolittle here in Mary esther. It was like a panel van pulling a large race car trailer with some awesome graphics on the whole thing. Had a few soldiers with weapons on it . Do you troops still carry the 92fs like I did or have the military switched to Glock like everyone else?

bronxbomber252

Shooter
    Military still issues the M9 (92FS with minor tweaks) as the standard sidearm. DOD special agents (OSI, CID, NCIS) and Navy SEALs carry M11's (basically a Sig P226). Some MARSOC (USMC Spec ops) units carry modernized 1911's. Finally I have heard rumors that some spec ops units have on occasion been issued Glock 19's, but this is not the norm.

There was talk for a while about switching to the S&W M&P, but that fizzled out.

I am not sure what this "everyone else" you speak of means, at the federal level most LE agencies carry Sig's, and many foreign militaries carry other sidearms, the french and swiss carry Sigs, IIRC (someone correct me if I am confused) the germans carry HK, the israeli's actually ditched their Glock 17's for a indigenous pistol (the Jericho), just to name a few.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Military still issues the M9 (92FS with minor tweaks) as the standard sidearm. DOD special agents (OSI, CID, NCIS) and Navy SEALs carry M11's (basically a Sig P226). Some MARSOC (USMC Spec ops) units carry modernized 1911's. Finally I have heard rumors that some spec ops units have on occasion been issued Glock 19's, but this is not the norm.

There was talk for a while about switching to the S&W M&P, but that fizzled out.

I am not sure what this "everyone else" you speak of means, at the federal level most LE agencies carry Sig's, and many foreign militaries carry other sidearms, the french and swiss carry Sigs, IIRC (someone correct me if I am confused) the germans carry HK, the israeli's actually ditched their Glock 17's for a indigenous pistol (the Jericho), just to name a few.

The everyone else I was speaking of was directed at the Local, State, and City LEO's I see. Looks like most carry Glocks. I could be wrong and it may be just the ones I see. It's nature that I always look at a weapon if it's being open carried and I see alot of Glocks. Don't have much experience with any Fed agencies other then the Spec ops here at Hurlburt and the OSI. They all carried the 92fs back when I was in. Hell I still have mine with one of my mags that have the white armory mark on it to match with my chits, lol

bronxbomber252

Shooter
    Maybe, not entirely sure, all I get is an M9, even then only for deployments.

As for LEO's and Glocks, I believe the statistic is 60% of LEOs carry Glock. Much of that is a combination of 3 factors. 1) Glock flooded the LEO market when they first showed up with cheap bids. 2) Glocks have a good reputation for reliability, 3) they are really simple which is good for PD's since many many cops are not actually gun people and will only shoot/train as much as is required of them. I don't honestly believe that the Glock is inherently any more combat effective than any other high end handgun (i.e. Sig, Beretta, HK, Walther, S&W, etc...)

Staff online

Top Bottom