• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hawkeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I haven't shot in awhile but went to the range the other day and had several casings fail to eject from my 92. Granted it was cold, but the pistol was clean. The rounds were reloads and I'm not sure of the load specs.

What is the consensus on dependable ammo for this app? Feel like I might need to bump up to 125 grain for cleaner action?

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Where did you get the rounds? They can certainly be the reason for the failure. Spring reaction has to be in a range for everything to work as it should. 92s are pretty versatile. Mine eats everything.
    Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My beretta always ate anything I fed it, from factory to reloads of all flavors. Only thing I say is maybe step up the powder charge a bump? The biggest benefit of the open top slide is that there's not much to get in the way of ejection. Either your extractor isn't doing its job or it's not cycling the action hard enough to eject the spent shells. My most accurate homebrew loads were with 135gr DGBullets and unique, but it shot 4.2gr of bullseye under 124gr fmj really damned well, and for hollowpoints, 124gr speer gold dots were like laser beams.

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    If it hasn't been shot in a while, you might want to break it down and give it a good cleaning before taking it out. Old oil and cleaners can thicken up and get gunky, especially if you use a lot before long term storage. Mags too, which some people never clean.

My 92s usually have no problems with any loads.

hawkeye

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the replies. My late father loaded the ammo I shot. He was very precise, but I don't remember the load he used. The weapon hasn't been shot in awhile, so a thorough breakdown and cleaning is probably in order.

My dad and I used to shoot quite a bit together at the local club. When he passed away it wasn't quite the same, but I'd like to get back into shooting more frequently again. Marksmanship is a perishable skill, after all.

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd change the magazine springs if it sat a while. I've seen that cure the issue more than anything else. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 92/96 are very forgiving pistols of ammo variability and limp wristing of those I own or have owned. So first up try other ammo, but unless the ammo you used was powder puff girly weak I doubt it was ammo. A thorough clean and lube is a good idea.

I never had ammo fail to feed, fire, extract, or eject in a Beretta without some sort of issue as the root cause like a recoil / main spring, mag springs, or dirty chamber, which most often cause fail to feed, while recoil / mainsprings shouldn't cause ejection problems unless the springs were overpowered while a weak extractor spring or failing extractor could. Weak main / recoil springs are more likely to make empties fly into the next county.

One weird thing on older Beretta's (or newer models with replaced parts) is locking block cracking. Look at the area in the pic I pointed to in red. Older blocks do not have that radius in the corner, they have a straight 90 degree angle which are prone to cracking there. Everyone who owns a Beretta needs to know and inspect for this issue.

Funny AFAIK, Taurus did not use a block with the radius and I have never seen, read or heard of a Taurus with the problem.

Here's a decent trouble shooting guide to the 92 (9mm) / 96 (.40) platform.

Attachments

• beretta_locking block.jpg
      beretta_locking block.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 16

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't shot in awhile but went to the range the other day and had several casings fail to eject from my 92. Granted it was cold, but the pistol was clean. The rounds were reloads and I'm not sure of the load specs.

What is the consensus on dependable ammo for this app? Feel like I might need to bump up to 125 grain for cleaner action?
    Hard to know without knowing everything about the ammo. My 92 eats everything I've fed it. Including a variety of my personal reloads.

Top Bottom