• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Gentlemen….
    lately I have been thinking of the benefits of “sprays” for self defense….
    not even only for people either….pit bulls, or other loose dogs as well…(for example)….but most certainly for any encounter that might need it….Is there a situation where you could see needing a spray instead of using a concealed weapon? My main question for you guys is what you think about spray, pepper spray, self defense spray…. And is there a spray that you would recommend that works really well?
    what are your thoughts on this?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    What I really think about using for sprays ain't legal unless it's the apocalypse, so no I'm not going there. Super Soakers full of gasoline come to mind... that might marginally be legal... if you happen to be able to prove in court that you just happened to have a Super Soaker full of damn gasoline already in your hands legally at the time of an altercation... so no, of course it's not legal. Anything less is pretty ineffective in that there's just not enough spray available in such a small little can... and the short effective range means you just pissed off something big close enough for it to retaliate. I have seen fire extinguisher size cans of mace for riot control, though. LEO had it on my bus ramp after school after being outnumbered one too many times. I never saw him use it though. Rules of engagement. Can't hose people down just because you know they deserve it. That's a shame

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Florida does impose a capacity restriction on self-defense chemical sprays. Any spray carried on or about the person may not contain more than 2 oz. of chemical total. E grade" seasoning on bears is considered animal abuse or something. So, yes, depending on your jurisdiction, if you can use OC on people, Bear Spray is just as “legal" as a large canister of self defense OC. But don't use your self defense OC on Smokey, because that is illegal and animal cruelty. This next quote is from a FL Lawyer... "My understanding is that self-defense chemical sprays (i.e. devices carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical) are permitted by section 790.001. I am not 100% sure but I think that you need a permit to carry 7.9 oz."

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Look into POM self defense sprays, they are compact and simple to use. Most come with a water based trainer canister as well so you can work on aim.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Personally, I am huge proponent of OC sprays. I used to moonlight as a bouncer in a very busy and rowdy military bar. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have used OC sprays on hundreds of people over the years. Out of those hundreds of people, I can only recall one time when it was not effective. As an LEO in my daytime job, I was also trained and maintained annual qualifications on pepper spray.
    There are many situations where pepper spray is the best less-than-lethal tool. It takes the fight out of 99% people. If you can’t see, and you have trouble breathing, you can’t fight effectively. Most people have never been sprayed before, and go into complete panic mode when sprayed, and all they can think about is trying to escape after being sprayed. It is also very effective against groups of assailants. With alternative less than lethals, such as tasers, they are only effective against one person, and after the initial use, the assailant usually becomes violent and dangerous again. Pepper spray can be effective for much longer.
    The main considerations with pepper spray is that it is fairly short range, and can potentially incapacitate others in the vicinity, including yourself, especially if the wind is not in your favor, lol. And if used indoors, it will clear out a building, lol.
    For brands, our department issue was Sabre Blue. For personal use, I used a brand called Police Magnum OC-17. The Police Magnum OC -17 was cheaper and more effective than the Sabre Blue, and is what I used most of the time.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Florida does impose a capacity restriction on self-defense chemical sprays. Any spray carried on or about the person may not contain more than 2 oz. of chemical total. E grade" seasoning on bears is considered animal abuse or something. So, yes, depending on your jurisdiction, if you can use OC on people, Bear Spray is just as “legal" as a large canister of self defense OC. But don't use your self defense OC on Smokey, because that is illegal and animal cruelty. This next quote is from a FL Lawyer... "My understanding is that self-defense chemical sprays (i.e. devices carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical) are permitted by section 790.001. I am not 100% sure but I think that you need a permit to carry 7.9 oz."
    Interesting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Personally, I am huge proponent of OC sprays. I used to moonlight as a bouncer in a very busy and rowdy military bar. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have used OC sprays on hundreds of people over the years. Out of those hundreds of people, I can only recall one time when it was not effective. As an LEO in my daytime job, I was also trained and maintained annual qualifications on pepper spray.
    There are many situations where pepper spray is the best less-than-lethal tool. It takes the fight out of 99% people. If you can’t see, and you have trouble breathing, you can’t fight effectively. Most people have never been sprayed before, and go into complete panic mode when sprayed, and all they can think about is trying to escape after being sprayed. It is also very effective against groups of assailants. With alternative less than lethals, such as tasers, they are only effective against one person, and after the initial use, the assailant usually becomes violent and dangerous again. Pepper spray can be effective for much longer.
    The main considerations with pepper spray is that it is fairly short range, and can potentially incapacitate others in the vicinity, including yourself, especially if the wind is not in your favor, lol. And if used indoors, it will clear out a building, lol.
    For brands, our department issue was Sabre Blue. For personal use, I used a brand called Police Magnum OC-17. The Police Magnum OC -17 was cheaper and more effective than the Sabre Blue, and is what I used most of the time.
    Very good info thank you

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bear spray is less effective and just shoots farther. It has less of the chem in it than the personal self defense ones do. I just saw a video of someone using an oc gel instead of spray and it shoots like silly string and is supposed to be more sticky.

Top Bottom