• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronious45

Master
    Whatever happened to the fella on here that got in trouble for selling at a gun show??

TraderDan

Master
    If they want you they will get you. you get tired of trying to sell a gun, at a price you can make a little off the top, and the smooth talker shows up and talks the talk and drops a hint , you better close the trunk and roll on. They will do their jobs and bust all they can. It might be hard to turn down that 500.00 in your face, but after he says I,m from ??? or couldn't/didn't want to do paperwork ?? better be on your toes and JUST SAY NO! You get the feeling in your stomach and the hint will be dropped, the rest is up to you. Deal or No Deal ? This ain't 1985 anymore Dorathy.

Idoono

Master
    I know one of those guys. He is a former law enforcement officer so I am curious to see if their charges stick. As for people making a few dollars off their guns, that is not illegal as long as they are selling private owned firearms and are not making their livelihood off the sale of such. I have several guns I plan on selling for more than I paid at sometime in the future. I will enjoy them and if I can make money then so be it.

Maybe the ATF agents time would be better spent chasing the guys who let "Fast and Furious" occur. They are the real criminals.

Idoono

TraderDan

Master
    At what point do you become a dealer and not a private citizen liquidating his collection?

Rick

I think it is more of a who did you sell to and not as much how many is what they are busting folks for, the law doesn't have a number,, but common sense would figure in here too. 1 everyday or 3-4 a week or maybe even 1 a week or flipping them on a regular basis , could be construed as a business ?? They are the Game and we the players, who has the rule book?

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Well I see Frank is on his you got'a be a dealer again. He must be slow because this has come up a bunch of times. Guess he needs to apply for his lisence before he sells that 308 Ar.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    sorta like so many here buying and selling on a weekly basis living in the "gray" area?

What grey area? The law is pretty clear on what constitutes engaged in business as a dealer.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...f6158555c733&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&rgn=div8

Dealer in firearms other than a gunsmith or a pawnbroker.A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

It's not hard to establish you're devoting time, attention and labor with the objective of livelihood and profit if you'r renting space at a Flea Market on a regular basis to sell guns.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    ^What he said. From everything I have read the number is one. If you buy a firearm with the intent of selling it for a profit you have just broken the law unless you have an FFL. Buying a gun deciding you don't want it and then selling seems to be ok, even if you do make a profit. Do this more than once or twice in a short period of time and it gets harder to explain.

joe

Master
    Donr101395 got it right if you selling at both at a flae market it would be hard to say your not doing it for profit. Also it mentioned that some of the sellers where convicted felons.

Why any law abiding gun owner would stick up for people purposefully selling guns to felons is beyond me. I know people want to believe that the sellers where tricked into selling the guns to felons but sadly that is likely not true. How hard is it to ask are you a convicted felon? I personally prefer if they have CCP even though thats not fool proof. To each their own. Not worth it for me.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

I just still can't believe someone would be so stupid to do that out in the open anyway. And one of those guys was former LEO? Maybe more like arrogance than ignorance.

I,.for one, having nothing to worry about. I sure has hell have never made a nickle profit on this hobby.

TraderDan

Master
    I'm sure everyone who has run for sale ads over a period of time, has had the approach fron ATF weather they realized it or not. The phone call or once they meet, "I'm #%&*&, and live in &^%# , is that going to be a problem?" or They will tell a story that might include why they can't go to walmart because they #&&%#@ and spent 9 years in prison. lol

Top Bottom