• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you purchase/take delivery of multiple firearms from a licensed dealer at the same time, can they all be cleared by the same background check, or is a separate check needed for each. If you pass a check for a given firearm, is there some period of time that passed check could be applied to subsequent purchases, or is it a one off? Thanks in advance.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You can transfer any number of firearms on one background check. ***If there's more than one "handgun" transferred on that check or in a 5 business day period, paperwork will be sent to the ATF for a "multiple handgun sale"***.

Once you leave the shop with X number of firearms, that background check is done and can not be used on subsequent purchases.

If you show up, fill out the paperwork, then end up leaving before you get approved... the background check is good for 30 days from the approved return time. If you get delayed more than 30 days picking up the item that the original check was ran for, you will need another check done.

This is for FL.

PS if you have different info for FL, please provide links/documentation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is there special significance, or consequence to "paperwork will be sent to the ATF for a "multiple handgun sale"***" beyond the obvious one of being on yet another list or report? Does it trigger any ATF action? Again, thanks for your input.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Multiple handgun sales paperwork gets 3 copies made. One stays with the 4473, one goes to the local LEO, one to the ATF. It will have your identifying information along with what you took posession of (make, model, SN, caliber etc). You can buy as many long guns or "other" as you want without the extra paperwork but anything over 1 handgun in a 5 business day period, the FFL has to generate the paperwork and send it off in the mail or electronically. Action by the ATF is up to them. If you're buying 20 glock 19s, you may get a phone call. If you pick up a couple different models, it probably gets filed for later reference. No clue what the LEO does with them or if they care. I'm sure it's dependent on the specific locale.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After consulting a few other sources, other FFLs, etc, there appears to be no agreement on the real world consequences of the additional form to LEO. I did discover that the FFL is not required to advise the buyer of this form requirement, and is in fact discouraged by ATF from sharing the requirements or pending filing. Are there any LEO members who can weigh in on the impact and whether it even matters? Thanks in advance.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Discouragement to ffl was to advising people to spread out purchases to more than 5 days to avoid the paperwork. Which also ties in to FFLs reporting buyers they think are doing something illegal.

I don't think the ATF would advise FFLs to withhold information about paperwork requirements. That just seems kind of, I don't know....disingenuous.

FWIW. There's also a multiple long gun requirement for the southern border states.

As long as you aren't doing anything illegal it shouldn't matter, right?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Is it multiple handgun 4473 at one dealer or any dealer? If I buy 3 from you[Nate] and 3 from another source, does the system know? Does it tell the FFL to fill out paperwork?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Copy of form is 2nd link.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LJG, thanks for the advice. My snarky reply is something along the lines of “If you have nothing to hide ….” You know the rest. The most applicable comment I got was “It depends on how you feel about local LEO having your name, all your info, and what you just bought on the (LEO)’s desk”. I want to think it’s academic, and doesn’t matter, but we have ERPOs, don’t we? Obviously, if the FFL knows about the multiple purchases, there is not a lot of latitude on their part, or so it seems. So, thanks all for the inputs and the guidance of the group. Much appreciated.

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I get a copy off all of them in my county. I read over them just cause I’m curious if anyone is buying anything fun or if I’m missing a sale. I shred them after as I don’t feel it’s anyones business what you bought and how many as long as you aren’t a criminal or buying them for criminals. Form 4’s the same way. We shred it all.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Discouragement to ffl was to advising people to spread out purchases to more than 5 days to avoid the paperwork. Which also ties in to FFLs reporting buyers they think are doing something illegal.

I don't think the ATF would advise FFLs to withhold information about paperwork requirements. That just seems kind of, I don't know....disingenuous.

FWIW. There's also a multiple long gun requirement for the southern border states.

As long as you aren't doing anything illegal it shouldn't matter, right?
    Except being a white, straight, christian, male is illegal.
    I've been told not to mention "multiple handgun purchase form", so I figured it throws a red flag. Which if you are the above demographic would bring you problems sooner or later. It's 100% all about getting you logged in, catagorized, on a list, and tracked nowadays.
    You can only beat a dog so much until it is scared of everything.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    LJG, thanks for the advice. My snarky reply is something along the lines of “If you have nothing to hide ….” You know the rest. The most applicable comment I got was “It depends on how you feel about local LEO having your name, all your info, and what you just bought on the (LEO)’s desk”. I want to think it’s academic, and doesn’t matter, but we have ERPOs, don’t we? Obviously, if the FFL knows about the multiple purchases, there is not a lot of latitude on their part, or so it seems. So, thanks all for the inputs and the guidance of the group. Much appreciated.
    ERPOs were the game changer for me. Illegal as hell and doesn't work. All of this year's "mass shootings" prove that. Also prove that government agencies aren't interested in that type of demographic. All of the recent shooters were already on watch lists. What happened there?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You can twist this however you want, to fit your agenda, but, the rule was most likely enacted to let local LE know when a legal buyer was getting 5 Saturday night specials, and there just happened to be some trouble brewing in his neighborhood. Then, local LE could check to see if the buyer was a nice person, arming his nice family, or a person who had 5 bad friends with felonies, that needed guns for the weekend.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The rules don't work, for the thousand or so people they are probably watching so let's make more rules so millions can't do it either.
    Criminal don't follow rules. It's that simple. That is usually why they are criminals.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can twist this however you want, to fit your agenda, but, the rule was most likely enacted to let local LE know when a legal buyer was getting 5 Saturday night specials, and there just happened to be some trouble brewing in his neighborhood. Then, local LE could check to see if the buyer was a nice person, arming his nice family, or a person who had 5 bad friends with felonies, that needed guns for the weekend.
    It doesn't make sense to aquire guns that you plan on using in crimes the legal way (4473). Paperwork, cameras multiple handgun purchase red flag, & ERPO (red flag) laws. Seems like it would make being a criminal very obvious.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    It doesn't make sense to aquire guns that you plan on using in crimes the legal way (4473). Paperwork, cameras multiple handgun purchase red flag, & ERPO (red flag) laws. Seems like it would make being a criminal very obvious.
    But palmetto had free shipping! Hahahaha

Top Bottom