• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stay safe out there people. https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/forums/general-gun-talk.2/

Authorities Say NY Man Dead in Accidental Gun Club Shooting
    Authorities say a 67-year-old man has been killed by an “accidental discharge of a firearm” at a western New York gun club.

PENFIELD, N.Y. (AP) — A 67-year-old man was killed by an “accidental discharge of a firearm” at a western New York gun club, authorities said.
    Deputies were called to the Genesee Conservation League in Penfield at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said.

Sgt. Ken Weber told the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester that the man was shot at the club's indoor range. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. His name was not released.
    Wayne Cichetti, the president of the club's board, said in a statement that the man was a member of the club and a certified range officer. Cichetti said the man was serving as a safety officer in a United States Practical Shooting Association competition and was struck with an accidental discharge from a competitor’s gun.
    “Since the League’s formation in 1925, safety has always been our most important priority,” Cichetti said. “This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we are grieving the loss of a devoted member and friend.”

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: New York, Associated Press

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    moms demand B.S. will love that one. Drop the L.E. are the only people trained enough to own, carry and use firearms. Oh, never mind; they jumped in bed with the burn, loot, murder mob three months ago and now want to disarm cops too.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why in the hell would the "Clubs President" use the term "accidental discharge"? Obviously, an attempt to avoid Club and shooter liability. We know he should have said negligent discharge but lawyers can smell the word negligent from a thousand miles away and that sells like money! If a projectile goes "down range" ricochetes and hits someone/thing that's an accident and the range needs to be reevaluated. Gun KaBooms aren't accidents either, something failed that someone should have prevented.

We'll just need to wait till the info surfaces.

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why in the hell would the "Clubs President" use the term "accidental discharge"? Obviously, an attempt to avoid Club and shooter liability. We know he should have said negligent discharge but lawyers can smell the word negligent from a thousand miles away and that sells like money! If a projectile goes "down range" ricochetes and hits someone/thing that's an accident and the range needs to be reevaluated. Gun KaBooms aren't accidents either, something failed that someone should have prevented.

We'll just need to wait till the info surfaces.
    I don't know why that range or newspaper used that language. I know that at Southern Tactical Range, we use the phrase "training accident" to get the ambulance sent ASAP and not just the shireff sent to investigate. Numnber 1 priority is to get the injured treated.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is from an email newsletter I get from DUF Digest (DUF = Defensive Use of Firearms). Take it for what you will.

Regarding the fatal shooting of a range officer in New York, a list member shared this report:

The match was an IDPA [sic] match. The competitor was carrying a tricked out CZ race gun. His holster was a race holster to draw forward for as faster draw. After firing the competitor reholstered. Either his holster failed or he failed to insert the pistol properly. The pistol fell to the ground and discharged. The race timer behind the shooter was hit and killed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is from an email newsletter I get from DUF Digest (DUF = Defensive Use of Firearms). Take it for what you will.

Regarding the fatal shooting of a range officer in New York, a list member shared this report:

The match was an IDPA [sic] match. The competitor was carrying a tricked out CZ race gun. His holster was a race holster to draw forward for as faster draw. After firing the competitor reholstered. Either his holster failed or he failed to insert the pistol properly. The pistol fell to the ground and discharged. The race timer behind the shooter was hit and killed.
    Sounds quite possible. Too many competitors use gimmicks that are not safe. There was a similar shooting, but no one died to an IDPA shooter at what is now the ERGC. IIRC it was not during a match. He dropped a glock during what I remember while in practice with tricked out trigger that defeated the glock internal safeties. Practice quick draw with the internal deactivated to gain a fraction of a second in time is just not wise.
    I do not know how to stop people from doing unsafe modifications.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sounds quite possible. Too many competitors use gimmicks that are not safe. There was a similar shooting, but no one died to an IDPA shooter at what is now the ERGC. IIRC it was not during a match. He dropped a glock during what I remember while in practice with tricked out trigger that defeated the glock internal safeties. Practice quick draw with the internal deactivated to gain a fraction of a second in time is just not wise.
    I do not know how to stop people from doing unsafe modifications.

actually that dumbass REMOVED the internal Glock safety as he thought it was messing him up.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    actually that dumbass REMOVED the internal Glock safety as he thought it was messing him up.
    The glock striker block does have a spring. Removing it will reduce the trigger pull for sure.
    It is part two below
    1605062494547.png

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The glock striker block does have a spring. Removing it will reduce the trigger pull for sure.
    It is part two below
    View attachment 97273

Yes - but if you drop it then it will fire.

only a dumb ass would remove it.

I can bet that the person who removes it to increase their time has much bigger problems than the safety.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If above is true, fumble fingers could be Charged with involuntary manslaughter and a Civil Suit. I'm pretty sure CZ Shadows and TSO don't have a firing pin block safety in standard factory configuration. Some lawyer will smell money and try to sell the grieving family on Law Suit against CZ. If "other modifications" were made to the gun, and can be argued to have contributed to the discharge: they may seek damages there also. Speed holster is fair game too.

The Event could also be used as an example to support the State of CA who are being sued over the restrictive "List of Approved Guns" and State mandated testing methods.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My Glocks all have the OEM striker block and spring.
    The bearing surface of the block has been polished and block and spring is extremely lightly lubed with grease.
    Part of MY - -> 25 cent trigger job. ---- SAWMAN

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If above is true, fumble fingers could be Charged with involuntary manslaughter and a Civil Suit. I'm pretty sure CZ Shadows and TSO don't have a firing pin block safety in standard factory configuration. Some lawyer will smell money and try to sell the grieving family on Law Suit against CZ. If "other modifications" were made to the gun, and can be argued to have contributed to the discharge: they may seek damages there also. Speed holster is fair game too.

The Event could also be used as an example to support the State of CA who are being sued over the restrictive "List of Approved Guns" and State mandated testing methods.
    I own two CZ TSO and use it for USPSA match. It is unwise to use it as an IDPA match (i.e., not a practical self defense pistol or a carry pistol). It is a USPSA Limited class pistol, and match ready out of the box. The safety operates like a 1911. Personally, I would not make any modification to safety mechanism or have any local gun smith mess with it. It is best to send it to Cajun Gunworks or CZ Custom.

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thank you good to know, I'll be sure to pay extra attention to competitor with raise holsters. Key point for competitor is to never do anything at firing line before Range Officer given commands.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My Glocks all have the OEM striker block and spring.
    The bearing surface of the block has been polished and block and spring is extremely lightly lubed with grease.
    Part of MY - -> 25 cent trigger job. ---- SAWMAN

I polish all the Glock trigger parts. Easy upgrade that the factory skips due to added cost/production time. A little grease on that spring is a good idea.

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Thank you good to know, I'll be sure to pay extra attention to competitor with raise holsters. Key point for competitor is to never do anything at firing line before Range Officer given commands.

The firearm was dropped while being put back into the “holster”. I don’t think a command would do anything to stop it.

I would get rid of the speed holsters in competitions.

A lot of places don’t allow the serpa holsters that I love because some idiots out there have no trigger control and shoot themselves in the leg.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom