• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recently, I started acquiring parts for an AR15 pistol build. Last night I assembled the lower and now its time to start ordering parts for the upper. But as my wife says "a little at a time." Hah, now that the lowers done, she wants new tables in the living room...WTF IS SHE THINKING!!!? lol

Lower goes as such
    Palmetto State Armory lower
    PSA Magpul MIAD lower parts kit (PSA lower parts, Magpul MIAD grip, Magpul trigger guard)
    Magpul ASAP sling adaptor
    KNS anti-rotation pins
    PSA pistol buffer tube
    standard carbine buffer and spring

also ordered 3 different mags just for fun.
    1 Lancer smoke clear
    1 (more) Magpul Pmag w/ window
    1 Magpul 20 rnd Pmag

Going to be building a 7.5" 5.56 upper. Nothing too fancy here. 7.5" barrel, 7-8" rail (I want the muzzle device to be the only thing seen, I dont want the barrel poking out past the rail), Noveske flaming pig, Magpul AFG and Magpul sights. Will add a sling and light eventually.

I will post pics of the assembled lower here soon.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell yea,nice! I am always intrested in A/R build pics! I was thinking of doing a pistol build myself, not sure exactly what I want to do yet,but def doing to do something completely different myself. I am leaning twords a 7mm-08 pistol.....just finding that barrel short enough without wrecking a new full sized..

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    7.5" barrel is really going to talk! My 10.5" guns sound like artillery. :D

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OH, I keep getting confused w that, I need a 6.8 pistol! Thanks
    Frank cutting a 6.8 barrel would have me in tears..lol I am tring to find a distributor of a/r wildcat pistol barrels
    I actually will be slow to building this one, I will be working backwards on this build as it is not a neccesity at the momment and still have to build up a few for my brother and friends,I hink a side charge upper is what I will go with.I wanna see some ballistics of various rounds from various length barrels before I etch the caliber in stone..

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sticking with 556 although it will suffer with velocity due to barrel length. I don't intend to hunt with a7.5"barrel...although legally you could, or at least i'm told. I'm constructing this as more/less a pdw (personal defense weapon". Its not intended for extended ranges, hunting, or any other fabrication one would come up with for needing one. To be honest, i'm just doing it for the fun of the build and because I can.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ian i've seen research done with a DB meter placed near shooter ear level showing only a 2DB increase on a7.5" v. a 16" AR. lots of percussion is perceived a noise as noted by the research. That being said 3DB is an audible double multiplication of sound. So 2DB is still significant, maybe just not as much as most perceive it to be. But I will definitely be wearing ear protection. :)

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ian i've seen research done with a DB meter placed near shooter ear level showing only a 2DB increase on a7.5" v. a 16" AR. lots of percussion is perceived a noise as noted by the research. That being said 3DB is an audible double multiplication of sound. So 2DB is still significant, maybe just not as much as most perceive it to be. But I will definitely be wearing ear protection. :)

I can tell you for sure, that the perceived difference between my 16" Sig 556 and my 10.5" Sig 556 is HUGE. I don't have a DB meter though so I don't have any quantitative data.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you for sure, that the perceived difference between my 16" Sig 556 and my 10.5" Sig 556 is HUGE. I don't have a DB meter though so I don't have any quantitative data.

My Keltec PLR16 is the 2nd loudest gun i have ever shot. Plus shoots a @foot long flame. So yea I would say what yall r talking about will be nasty loud?

Rebuilt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Kenny whats you opinion thus far on the psa parts kit? As good as dpms or rockriver? As soon as the wedding passes I'm ordering some parts for that lower in my safe.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    without shooting it, everything assembled well. The trigger feels a little gritty but a polishing stone and some free time should be able to take care of that. All in all, its mil-spec, hah. Nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Most of my experience has been DPMS parts kits up to this point.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Didn't want to say to much before I heard back from the seller but tonight i'm ordering a WOA 7.5" stainless barrel in .223wylde, a low pro gas block, noveske flaming pig flash hider, and pistol gas tube.

Yay

Top Bottom