• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigD

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just finished my ar15 build and want to put some optics on it. I will be shooting targets and would like some input on this. Dont want to break the bank but dont want something that will fall apart. My ar15 has rear flipup and a fixed front sight.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What is your price range? When it comes to optics breaking the bank is a relative term!

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the Aimpoint PRO deal on here.. $365 shipped is a great deal. Ive heard that Vortex has nice red dots in your range as well, but ive never used them

RedcedarHunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Depends...magnified or red-dot? Magnification wise I seem to get the most versatility out of the 1-4x models. In that price range check out the Burris TAC30, Millet DMS-1, Leatherwood Hi-Lux, etc. All decent glass. Higher end wise you'd be looking at Vortex Viper PST 1-4x, Trijicon TR24, NF 1-4x, SB Short Dot, etc. If you want to drop some more $, the Leupold MK8 CQBSS is next on my list!

Red dot wise, hard to beat Vortex at the price point. Awesome quality, decent battery life, great value for the $. But i will agree with fupagunt, nothing touches an Aimpoint. I love the T1s.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with redcedarhunter, but would also add the Primary Arms optics to the list of cheap but decent red dots.

You can also find the old trijicon reflex II sights pretty cheap used, I have seen them go for 200 on more than one occasion, pretty much indestructible, I have one with a chevron and love it.

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure if you want red dot or scope. If you are considering a scope, check out the Nikon P-223. It is $199.00 at academy. Have one and love it. It has the BDC reticle so you can shoot out to 600 yds.

Gentle Wolf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Vortex strikefire and its been awesome!

I just put a strikefire on one of my ARs. I haven't had it on the range yet but it seems to be a well made scope for the money. I ordered mine from PSA when they through in a free Magpul folding rear sight.

ReelGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have any of you guys ever handled a C-more red dot? I have heard pretty good things about them but have not had the chance to shoot with one. There are a couple in the mid 200 dollar range.

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have the Vortex Sparc on my AR and Vortex Strikefire on my AK and both are great for the price. Paid about $150 for the Strikefire and $170 for the Sparc. One of the AK's I took on trade had ITAC RDS-1 and it's okay, butI like the Vortex's better.

Ted

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    your friend is like Sherlock Holmes! great detective skills.

Although he could have just went to vortexoptics.com

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    btw, thats a horrific a2 mount. That produces what looks like a bottom of chin weld on the stock. The optic has be to 4-5 inches abover the bore axis. Not knocking the sight, definitely knocking the mount.

BigD

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    your friend is like Sherlock Holmes! great detective skills.

Although he could have just went to vortexoptics.com

at the time he found this i he was not just looking for a vortex he was looking for a price range.

PJOHNB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in the same boat been looking at optics for the ar,the one I think I'm going with is the Burris ar-332 prism but it cost a little than the vortex so if anyone has any input on it good or bad I'd like to hear it.

BigD

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in the same boat been looking at optics for the ar,the one I think I'm going with is the Burris ar-332 prism but it cost a little than the vortex so if anyone has any input on it good or bad I'd like to hear it.

Thats funny, When I was at the range there was a guy that had a burris close to the one you are looking at(not sure on model#) and he had the AR-QD mount. He let me mount it on my ar and I think it is a good choice. The one he had was around the $450 range. The optics were very clear and I liked the ar-qd mount(around $100).

PJOHNB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been looking at cabelas the ar-332 is a 3x w/ a close quarters reticle but has bullet drop compensation for .223 for long shoots it goes for 350$ but they also have a nice package deal w/ a tac 30 scope the ar qd mount that you are talking about and it's topped with a fast fire ll red dot it goes for 499$. Its definintly down to these two but i keep leaning towards the ar 332 it seems to get great reviews all over the web.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom