• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • signal 0

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    looking at getting a blackgun in 7.62x39, due to all ready having rifles in this chamber....what do ya'll think. is it better to build one, or buy one?

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buddy, I have spent HOURS of time completing my Due Diligence....I am in the same boat, got a nice SKS with tons of ammo...YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER UPPER FOR A BETTER PRICE- If you do, I'll buy you a six pack.... The ONLY issue with this cal, is that SOME lowers don't have a strong enough firing pin spring to set off SOME of the Mil Surplus ammo...SOME... Check SOTA below, they have basic for 449, I got the quad for $529...these are complete with BCG and charging handle- Good luck - Clay

http://sotaarms.com/component/jshopping/complete-ar-15-upper-units?Itemid=0

SOTA.JPG

Attachments

• SOTA.JPG
      SOTA.JPG
      84.7 KB · Views: 270

signal 0

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input guys...with the AR in this round, how is the recoil? Also whats the issue with the mags, would it be something I can fix with a file or would it be a ammo issue?

dragon26

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are some old preband 30rd mags out there that work but they run from60.00 -80.00
    Each work great called frankinmags.its a akmag with the top of it cut off and a cut 223mag
    tigwelded on i it. I own three they work greet use them in my colt with a slide solutions bump
    fire stock.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I say get a SKS or AK for the price and not worry about the x39 upper...but then I have been known to do crazy things, you want a pray and spray x39 get a Ruger mini 30.

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive actually been looking into this lately, and if I were to choose a .30 cal AR platform, I'd go for the .300 BLK.

What got me interested was when I saw a Sig 556 in 7.62x39. Not the same gun by any means, I know, but it got me looking at some of the things they are doing with the AR guns lately.

6.5 Grendel looked ok too, but you can't carry as much ammo in the mags. Both rounds fit in the standard AR mags.

Now, I also realize that for cheap neither of those rounds, or any of the others that they seem to be working with come anywhere near how cheap it is to shoot 7.62x39 out of anything.

I should also note that I have handled none of these rifles patterned in any of these calibers. I'm going off what I have read and seen in magazines/Internet.

The nice thing about some of these newer caliber combinations is that you only need the new upper, and you already likely have a .223/5.56 AR in the closet. IMHO, I'd rather just buy a new upper, than a whole new rifle that is built differently from other ARs.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it would be in the aplication of the gun and its intended purpose. If you are using it for home defense and/or a plinker at the range thae 7.62 is an ideal cartrige choice because you are packing some power at closer ranges and still staying economical in respect to the price of rounds.You are not going to be too accurate if shooting far out targets.

I think the 6.5 is also a great hunting round if shooting out past 250. It carrys similar charichteristics of the 6.8 out further and flatter shooting,but giving up some energy on target.Since this is a hunting round,ammo price is not a factor as you will only put probably 3 boxes tops through the gun each year,and if you reload then there is def. no worries,the same for the 6.8.

The 6.8 in my eyes is the golden round for around here. You get 80% energy transfer when put it up against a .308, but again can be used for anything from CQC to hunting. The round is effective for past 300 but I would try to keep all shots within 250 as this is where the noticeable drop comes into play. This round does the deed quick and well.

.300AAC = crap round in my eyes. Expensive to shoot with similar balistics of 7.62. Only advantage is suppression capabilitys. Unless you plan on shooting silenced,go with the 7.62,it will be far cheaper to feed and has easy to locate ammo.

This is my opinion of the rounds and how I select them,yes others see things differently,but this is how these are weighed when I buy a new caliber.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The stated energy levels of the 6.8 as compared to the 308Win seems to be creeping up like the price of gas. Some say it has 80% of the 308,some say 70%, ....... for me it is 70% >MAX<. A hand loaded 308Win will bring these "magic" percentages down to 60-65% IMO. AND....nobody ever talks about the bullet weights. Load up some 175-190gr in that 24" 308Win and the % would probably amaze some of the 6.8/6.5 guys. Some people are attempting to shoot the 140's out of their 6.8's. This is probably for the same reasons that some men drive Hummer's and we all know why that is......... The "normal" bullets for the 6.8 and the 6.5 are <121grs. AnyHOO...nuff about that.

Depending on the application...... ever thought of a Ruger MINI 30. They will eat any ammo. Mags are as cheap,if not cheaper,than a the AR mags in X39. It is as accurate as any AR that is intended to be a SD/HD gun. With open sights,old eyes can punch holes all day long in a pie plate at 100yds. AND....a man sized target out to.......?.....waaaaay out. Easily scoped or red dot. Trigger is fairly easy to do yourself. If nothing above the bolt,comes apart rather easily for cleaning. Aftermarket sights available. Muzzle brake/flash hider available(for the Tacti-Coolness).

If you do not try to buy new I have seen them for $550-$650. This is for the ALL stainless with plastic stock version. (Did they ever come any other way ??)

Personally...I will take a pass on the 300BO also. Doesn't spin my prop in the least. 'Bout the best looking little AR chambered in X39 is the OLY ARMS K30's. Heavy 16" bbl, short OAL. Great looking little gun. (Picture it with out that fuglie mag thingy)--- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Try the SOTA or JSE Surplus for an AR upper is x39, some have no problems but most seem too. I was thinking of getting one but have given up. The 6.8 is as good an all around AR as you will find.

Well I can only talk about the Mini 30 I had and got rid of but it would NOT eat any ammo, you got hardened primers like the Tula and you have more than 50% FTF. You make the mini fire them with a heavier spring and you break the firing pin. You try to get one from Ruger and they will not send you one and you have to send the rifle back to them. So in closing I got the Golden Bear to shoot 100% out of the Mini and the Corbon at $33 a box. That and the inaccuracy, after the 5th round fire in a battle I don't think you would know where the bullets would go. If you can cool the barrel 3 minutes between shots like we did at the range you will stay fairly accurate with good brass American ammo. I would prefer to have a SKS ok AK, at least they shoot every time..

The Russian ammo will change every round in powder and bullet weight in a 20 rd bx. Here is what a fellow hunter found:
    First I pulled the Russian bullets, they had a weight variation of about 3 grains from low to high. Very few were of the same weight, lots of variation, not too suprised by that. Next I weighed a bunch of the charges, they had a spread of about 1.5 grains of the lot that I weighed.

signal 0

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alot of great input here...Thanks. My reasons for wanting a AR in 7.62 are, I have a couple of 'commi' rifles and a stock pile of ammo, I feel the AR is more accurate in rapid fire shoot (the AR seems to shoot a better group), The reload is quicker with the AR. My biggist concerns is misfires...as stated above, it seems the AR platfrom in this round may be picky as to what it will shoot...as the AK will shoot darn near anything... Ever heard of wanting the best of both worlds...lol

Top Bottom