• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone experimented with Fiber Optic Back Up Iron Sights? Got any that are worth mounting? How about those that didn't make the grade. Thanks for the input.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Anyone experimented with Fiber Optic Back Up Iron Sights? Got any that are worth mounting? How about those that didn't make the grade. Thanks for the input.
    Glow in the dark model paint works pretty good. Use a toothpick as an applicator. Keeps the dots small enough

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glow in the dark model paint works pretty good. Use a toothpick as an applicator. Keeps the dots small enough
    My eyes are Old, tritium still works in the dark but it's during the daytime that I'm losing the classic sight picture. In a fight all I need is the front sight, but on the range I need a little assistance keeping the ghost ring at the proper level for elevation. Vertical Stringing. Hope I communicated that understandably? But I use an NVS in the dark nowadays.

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 51
    Last edited:

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've bought two separate sets of fiber buis.

They look nice and they are easy to see.
    Neither set I bought were of good quality and didn't lock up well. Ultimately I put the better sights on a DPMS BB gun.

If you can find some made by a reputable company instead of a Chinese sweat shop I think anyone would like them.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    HIVIZ makes a fiber optic front post. As for rear sights, I don't know of any quality pieces.

With "old eyes," you might want to look into an optic with an etched reticle instead of irons. This is a good option if you're on a budget.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    HIVIZ makes a fiber optic front post. As for rear sights, I don't know of any quality pieces.

With "old eyes," you might want to look into an optic with an etched reticle instead of irons. This is a good option if you're on a budget.
    ACOG's and some of the cheaper ACOG clones have sights on top of the scope body, and some of those are fiberoptic. Just a thought. And there's no buttons to push or thingamabobers to flip up to be able to use those sights. Just look over the top of your scope and you're already ready

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ACOG's and some of the cheaper ACOG clones have sights on top of the scope body, and some of those are fiberoptic. Just a thought. And there's no buttons to push or thingamabobers to flip up to be able to use those sights. Just look over the top of your scope and you're already ready
    Sounds like a rather short sight plane. Kind of out of the box. But it's worth a look. Thanks.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sounds like a rather short sight plane. Kind of out of the box. But it's worth a look. Thanks.
    Plenty of handgun shooters can make hits at 50 yards with a short sight radius, without the benefit of a stock or forward grips like you would have on the rifle. A man size target at 100 is very do-able

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plenty of handgun shooters can make hits at 50 yards with a short sight radius, without the benefit of a stock or forward grips like you would have on the rifle. A man size target at 100 is very do-able
    Somehow I've got that Old school 25/300 or 50/200 iron sight dogma stuck in my head. Planned on mounting the 4 x 16 Vortex Diamondback, not sure if I should use Warne QD rings or the Badger EBR's that are currently in use. Since it's setup as a REPR It should usually be shot prone off the bipod so the BUIS should actually be back ups. I'm just attempting to aid my Old eyes if I should need to use them for an emergency. I'm finding that this rifle has grown to heavy for me to use it comfortably standing unsupported at the 200 yard KD line, and I don't run & Gun anymore. So it's just going to be a target range rifle. Pondering the New Ruger SFAR that will need BUIS and an LPVO. So since I'm R&R ing the current glass for the Vortex, figured I'd try mounting a pair of fiber optic BUIS to give them a try before installing the Vortex. If they help? Perhaps I will need a little more indepth research if I find the SFAR at the LGS. Can't hurt to give them a try? Or can it?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Somehow I've got that Old school 25/300 or 50/200 iron sight dogma stuck in my head. Planned on mounting the 4 x 16 Vortex Diamondback, not sure if I should use Warne QD rings or the Badger EBR's that are currently in use. Since it's setup as a REPR It should usually be shot prone off the bipod so the BUIS should actually be back ups. I'm just attempting to aid my Old eyes if I should need to use them for an emergency. I'm finding that this rifle has grown to heavy for me to use it comfortably standing unsupported at the 200 yard KD line, and I don't run & Gun anymore. So it's just going to be a target range rifle. Pondering the New Ruger SFAR that will need BUIS and an LPVO. So since I'm R&R ing the current glass for the Vortex, figured I'd try mounting a pair of fiber optic BUIS to give them a try before installing the Vortex. If they help? Perhaps I will need a little more indepth research if I find the SFAR at the LGS. Can't hurt to give them a try? Or can it?
    There's plenty of people using railed scope rings also, for mounting mini reflex red dots as a backup

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feyachi Fiber Optic metal BUIS $27. Amazon. That's cheap enough to give them a try. If they are junk at least I didn't lose much.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Buis are not worth while in my opinion.

We are not in a war zone and if I am in a situation where my optic is so screwed that I cannot see through it then I can still be minute of man to 50-75, maybe 100 yards with just the rail. I used to shoot my 30-06 out to 150 yards with empty scope rings.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buis are not worth while in my opinion.

We are not in a war zone and if I am in a situation where my optic is so screwed that I cannot see through it then I can still be minute of man to 50-75, maybe 100 yards with just the rail. I used to shoot my 30-06 out to 150 yards with empty scope rings.
    But when you pay the airfare, out of state hunting license fee, and the baggage gorilla cremates the optic glass sitting above the top level of your firearm The time has come to prove your marksmanship to the high priced guide you had to hire in order to make that once in a lifetime hunting trip that it took ten years worth of scrimping and saving to afford. Now the only times I was in War Zones Uncle Sam picked up the check. But most folks don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what Uncle Sam issues them. It's more like take it or leave it, and if you leave it you ain't getting anything else. LOL.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    But when you pay the airfare, out of state hunting license fee, and the baggage gorilla cremates the optic glass sitting above the top level of your firearm The time has come to prove your marksmanship to the high priced guide you had to hire in order to make that once in a lifetime hunting trip that it took ten years worth of scrimping and saving to afford. Now the only times I was in War Zones Uncle Sam picked up the check. But most folks don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what Uncle Sam issues them. It's more like take it or leave it, and if you leave it you ain't getting anything else. LOL.

I take multiple guns with me on hunting trips. I don’t want to be taking a bull elk at 300 yards with irons (not that I get to hunt bull elk or do big hunting trips with young kids taking all my time)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I take multiple guns with me on hunting trips. I don’t want to be taking a bull elk at 300 yards with irons (not that I get to hunt bull elk or do big hunting trips with young kids taking all my time)
    We share a love of Grandkids and a loss of free time accordingly. But each and every rifle taken on that trip is constructed as if it was the only one, otherwise it would be a preplanned failure. JMHO.

Top Bottom