• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Earlier I posted about getting ready to do this build and asked about magazines. Well I have now completed it and I have been to the range with it 3 times. Daniel Defense pistol upper 8.5" barrel, JoeBob unfinished lower. Hyperfire gold trigger. El Cheapo 26 rnd mags from Sportsman's Warehouse.

First and 2nd time at the range I had about 20% failure to load. Shot well, very accurate, etc.

After doing my research on the subject and even talking to a friend or two about 45acp issues I decided that most likely my issue was buffer weight and too much return too quickly. So I ordered a 10oz buffer weight. I also finally noticed (no idea why I didn't see this at first) that the barrel has no ramp or even a chamfer to any real extent. I could see where the copper was starting to show at about 7 o'clock on the bottom edge. Wondered why not 6, why no ramp, etc. Decided that it needed a little help so I took off just a little bit of the lower edge of the barrel from 8'oclock around to about 5 o'clock. Not much, just enough to remove the corner.

At the range this morning everything functioned just like it should. Good combination of parts. All is well and it's a blast to shoot. Put a chrono on the loads and they averaged 1029. Load is 6.5g Ramshot Zip with Nosler 185 JHP competition bullet. Small primer hulls and small rifle primers (because I can't find small pistol primers anywhere)

Attachments

• AR-45.jpg
      AR-45.jpg
      4.2 MB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Did you have to lower the powder charge since you were using SRP?

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Did you have to lower the powder charge since you were using SRP?
    I did lower it a bit, but only because I was trying a new powder that I didn't know. My research has led me to believe that there is not really much difference in primers other than wall thickness, but I'm not an expert in that. This worked nicely though. No stress on primers and everything ejected nicely. 1029 seems to be fairly medium to just a bit hot load.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sorry, I just had a senior moment :) Hope this helps. Picture attached. OBTW, Custom paint job by "me" using Brownells Alumina-hyde and baked in 200 deg oven for 2hrs
    That's a nice looking build for sure! Glad you were able to troubleshoot the issues.
    FWIW, pics aren't required in this section but it sure helps.
    How do you like the Hyperfire Gold?

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I did lower it a bit, but only because I was trying a new powder that I didn't know. My research has led me to believe that there is not really much difference in primers other than wall thickness, but I'm not an expert in that. This worked nicely though. No stress on primers and everything ejected nicely. 1029 seems to be fairly medium to just a bit hot load.
    Hey, as long as its not splitting your cases and you are getting good velocities, It must work. lol

Cool build, I'm partial to shockwave braces myself. :)

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That's a nice looking build for sure! Glad you were able to troubleshoot the issues.
    FWIW, pics aren't required in this section but it sure helps.
    How do you like the Hyperfire Gold?
    Its really sweet. 2lb pull but a bit long on the travel. I think that there is an adjustment screw that will do something about that but its on the underside of the body and not accessible without taking the trigger back out. I decided that it was ok with the extra travel (extra to me because I always set my rifles up with as close to zero as I can get it) because it has such a light pull. No roughness in the travel at all. Break is clean and crisp. Only my 2nd drop in trigger, but I certainly do like it.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hey, as long as its not splitting your cases and you are getting good velocities, It must work. lol

Cool build, I'm partial to shockwave braces myself. :)
    As to the brace, I'm not nearly as comfortable with this one now that I have shot it a bit as I thought I would be. This is quite a little "thumper" and the recoil is noticeable. I'm going to be checking out others that might have an actual pad on the back end :)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Very, cool. Love the paint. I gave up on the ar45 idea and got a g21 and stuck it in an mck with giant mags. Best brace for that would be the orginal ugly sb15. More rubber and more surface area. I'm using the sb4 on my 450 bushmaster pistol and need to get one of the sb15's.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Very, cool. Love the paint. I gave up on the ar45 idea and got a g21 and stuck it in an mck with giant mags. Best brace for that would be the orginal ugly sb15. More rubber and more surface area. I'm using the sb4 on my 450 bushmaster pistol and need to get one of the sb15's.
    Appreciate the tip on the SB

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    On the brightside they are not "cool" so they are cheap. If ya get one I'll tell ya a trick to keep it from sliding.
    I'm a "fixer" from way back. Years and years of doing everything myself. I looked around in my shop and I found a new, in the bag Pachmyre waffle shotgun pad. I'm going to use my CNC to machine a complex grove in the hard plastic backside and custom fit it to the hard plastic end of the "pistol" stock that I currently have. I think that will work nicely, and of course I'll cut it down in size. if that doesn't work, I'll definitely be back in touch. Thanks again for the tip.

FLcracker

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Covington GA, previously, Tallahassee, FL
    Had a similar issue. Went with an 8.2 ounce buffer, which was plenty, but also discovered, just as you did, that the barrel chamber is pretty severe in transition from barrel face to chamber. Had to dremel a small ramp in the lower 6 o"clock and that did the trick.

I think the barrel makers need to start "rolling" the edges of the barrel face to chamber transition more.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Had a similar issue. Went with an 8.2 ounce buffer, which was plenty, but also discovered, just as you did, that the barrel chamber is pretty severe in transition from barrel face to chamber. Had to dremel a small ramp in the lower 6 o"clock and that did the trick.

I think the barrel makers need to start "rolling" the edges of the barrel face to chamber transition more.
    Glad it works for you appreciate the feedback. Mine is still fine now on# 2

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I'm a "fixer" from way back. Years and years of doing everything myself. I looked around in my shop and I found a new, in the bag Pachmyre waffle shotgun pad. I'm going to use my CNC to machine a complex grove in the hard plastic backside and custom fit it to the hard plastic end of the "pistol" stock that I currently have. I think that will work nicely, and of course I'll cut it down in size. if that doesn't work, I'll definitely be back in touch. Thanks again for the tip.
    Be careful with that. I've heard from several FFL's that any modification of a pistol brace is a felony

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    One way to gain weight in the buffer is with a Law tactical folding stock kit. Bonus is you get a longer length of pull and it folds. Not sure about pistol applications.

Top Bottom