Patriot Mobile

Anyone using the Lee 125 gr RFN .357 mold?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Was reading some posts on cast boolits about the fact this bullet can do double duty...its a Lee 2 banger 358-125-RF mold, can be used in both a .357 and also sized down for 9mm. Anyone have any experience with this bullet...looks like a good one...As of right now only have a mold; .158 gn WC mold for the .38 reloads I'm going to do for the .357 GP100 I just picked up.

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You got my attention, so I just ordered one of the molds from Midway.
    I have been casting some 358-158 RNFP and really like the way they look and perform. I will try these lighter ones and also size some for 9mm. BTW I have been powder-coating these recently instead of lubing.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used it in both .357 and 9mm. Works well in both. Ric if you want to try some come and get'em.

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently received my Lee 125 RNFP mold and got some bullets cast and powder coated. I still have to find time to load and test them.
    Here are some pics of the bullets after sizing to .357, along with some of 158g rnfp sized to .357.

I really like using the powder coated lead bullets because i don't like to work with the lube process. so far, I have had no problems with fowling using them.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't taken the PC plunge yet but thinking of trying it. Those are some good looking bullets. Where do you get the chrome PC?

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Eastwood Company. It's more expensive but much better quality than the Harbor freight stuff. I use the "shake and bake" method. Not perfect, but it works and doesn't waste the powder.

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finally got some time to reload some of the 9mm cast-powder-coated bullets as shown in my previous posts. I will post some pics soon of the loaded rounds.
    I measured about 1115 fps from an EAA 4.5" barrel, using a load just under max for w231 with a 125g bullet. The bullets came out ot 128g after coating and resizing to .356.
    I could see nothing inside the barrel after shooting 15 rounds, not even a speck of powder. In the next few days, I plan to do much more testing with what I have loaded. Then I have to start casting again, as I only made about 100 bullets from the 125g mold.

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are the pics or the loaded ammo. Second pic: On the left is the .358 rf 125gr resized to .356. On the right is the lee 125gr tc, also sized to .356. In the background are 40 s&w 180gr tc.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Red bullet blue bullet, cool.

I need to get a 125Gr RN for loading 38s, I think the 158s are a bit too heavy.

So you're sizing right down to .357 for 38s?

Rick

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I usually go to .358 for lead bullets. But yes, you could resize to .357. For my use, I think the powder coated bullets are equivalent to the fmj ones as far as loads and sizing goes. I have not done as much testing as I would like, but plan to in the near future. I was even thinking of enlisting some help from others with the testing.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And you're shaving the 125 grainers down to .356 for 9mm? Are you able to take that much lead off a .358+ bullet in one step?

A little more info on the chrome coating too please, I likes it !!!

RH

Last edited:

namvet44

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, no problem sizing to .356. I don't have very hard lead, just stuff I collected and some I bought off ebay. I would even try some at .355 but don't know where to find a sizer that size except special order.

On the powder coating, I like the chrome best. The first few batches I made came out good-looking, but lately, I have been getting all frosted. I don't know what changed in my setup.

What I do is put a couple of teaspoons of powder in a small container and put 50 or so bullets in there and shake moderately, moving in all directions. Then I use a kitchen strainer and pour the contents out into the strainer while holding it over a larger container (peanut butter jar). Later I pour the powder from the larger container into the smaller one using a funnel. This saves the powder for the next batch.

Next is the tedious part, I use very small needle-nosed pliers and pick each bullet from the pile in the strainer and place it on a perforated aluminum sheet, standing up. If you touch the powdered bullet, the powder will come off. Then very carefully, I place the sheet full of bullets in a toaster oven at 400-415 degrees for 15 minutes.

As I mentioned, I have to recheck my temperature and time because the latest batches have been disappointing.

More later....

Latest posts

Top Bottom