Anybody still shooting 38 S&W, not Special.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    1726711916595.jpeg

Here you go a S&W Model 2 in .38 S&W, Break Top, 5 shot, single action no trigger guard, fully functional.

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Ive heard the old timers loaded wad cutters backwards to make it more lethal before and around the time the special came out
    Yes indeed they did , only you must've meant *semi wads . Full wad cutters are identical on both ends . The Semi wads turned backwards , had no advantage , as they stll had the flat side now leading out front . I know kind of confusing even to me

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    I enjoy the old stuff. Looking at a 32 sw revolver, top break, hammerless. I really like the top break stuff. Don't know why they still don't make em. The old S&W some had a grip safety, pretty cool.
    Interesting ! I don't think I ever saw a top break and hammerless also . Mine is a nickel 38 S&W break top , auto eject but with full hammer as shown in post # 21 .

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Im guessing break opens dont have the strength and structural rigidity to handle the +p or magnum loads today as solid frames with top straps. Even then, companies like S&W “waaaaa .357 too strong. It break our guns” Break opens have little chance
    Yes absolutely not strong enough to handle anything even close to those pressures . Remember the metallurgy wasn't even close to the later models and integral strength .

Eagle Eye

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Wooo. There's alot going on with these older guns, Re, black powder vs modern powder. Now seeing possible issue with air space in the cartridge causing problems as well. FFFG black powder might be the best route or maybe the modern fffg powder. Looks like lots of reading is required.
    Agreed , I like to use a bit lower velocity powder in my 1930's handguns . My .32 S&W handgun is also double action and a stronger construction due to design . When I get my
    camera working again I'll load a few pic's of them .I would strongly suggest to load with caution in any of these older guns .

big jon

Marksman
    Yes indeed they did , only you must've meant *semi wads . Full wad cutters are identical on both ends . The Semi wads turned backwards , had no advantage , as they stll had the flat side now leading out front . I know kind of confusing even to me
    not so much confused just not adding all th details you of course are correct we also used to cut an X on lead nose bullets

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Never heard of 200gr .38 s&w curious to how it compares with the 145gr lead nose rounds i have. Another caliber i enjoy is the .32 s&w long round shoots like a dream

Attachments

• 20240919_074114.jpg
      20240919_074114.jpg
      3.1 MB · Views: 4

big jon

Marksman
    those old rounds and even 380 are fine for plinking and such but they are not powerful enough for dependable self defense .25 is also not very good ,to slow and low velocity .22 would be a better choice unless you go to a magnum 32 or other special built round .No I dont want to get shot with one and they can kill but penetration and survival rates are to low used to be it was the best you could get better than a rock

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    those old rounds and even 380 are fine for plinking and such but they are not powerful enough for dependable self defense .25 is also not very good ,to slow and low velocity .22 would be a better choice unless you go to a magnum 32 or other special built round .No I dont want to get shot with one and they can kill but penetration and survival rates are to low used to be it was the best you could get better than a rock
    From reading * the internet * a 160 gr lrn 724 fps. ( a bit * warm) 16 inchs in gel thru 4 denim, ended backwards. 1.5 inch sw. Dosent sound too anemic to me?? I'd carry it.
    I think the poly rounds might be the "E" ticket ride in one of these old "obsolete" guns.

Last edited:

Patriot1776

Shooter
    Well like I stated before it's a yard snake / chair gun to me. That's why I choose the .327 federal magnum if I'm going carry a revolver for self defense.

Patriot1776

Shooter
    From reading * the internet * a 160 gr lrn 724 fps. ( a bit * warm) 16 inchs in gel thru 4 denim, ended backwards. 1.5 inch sw. Dosent sound too anemic to me?? I'd carry it.
    I think the poly rounds might be the "E" ticket ride in one of these old "obsolete" guns.
    I think it deffently work if it was all you had or could get too at that moment. But 16" that better then some rounds we got today. If you find some testing on 145gr please post, would like see what it traveling at sir.

Recondo 101

Expert
    My roommate in the 101st carried a Model 10 in 38 S&W with a 2" bbl. He preferred the 38 S&W VS the 38 Spl. He was a professional shooter from Chicago with four custom suits hanging, made for the horizontal carry shoulder holster. We used to get into shoot offs, cans on a log, speed , from both ends to the middle, third person shoots in the air, he could keep up with me with I using double 1911s in shoulder rigs and I was pretty quick. The 10 in an 38 S&W are fast handling, in double action, in close contact. Very good house gun, big heavy bullet at low velocity for very fast follow up shots that are accurate.
    Nothing like shooting against one in a speed contest to see how quick they really are or can be. All fairness, I have never owned one, simply because I reload and can make up anything I may need in 38, 357, 40, 45, etc.
    Were I to reload for one I would use the 200s with WST for a push recoil.

Top Bottom