• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    We are moving into a new house soon and I need to move my 800 lb Liberty safe.
    I moved it myself with the help of 2 friends when I bought it from an estate sale 11 years ago but things change in 11 years. Not sure I’m up to it now.
    Anybody move one lately?
    Who did you use? What’s the going rate these days?
    Moving it about 2 miles and almost no stairs, like two 6” ones.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Usually the folks that sell safes have a person or outfit locally to move the safes they sell. Mayflower in FT Walton moves them, or used to move them, stairs, steps, or rooms off the main entrance can be a problem. Of course, the floor must be built to support the small square inch surface, heavy weight.

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    I moved (700lbs. empty weight) one last year from Tennessee last year, had help getting on the trailer (enclosed) and help getting it off.
    Used a dolly to get to the door then once in the house, hardwood floors, used sliders under it to move into position.
    Hardest part was getting off the trailer. I had help from some friends in the area as I didn't just want anybody knowing about the safe.

If you don't have a few friends with strong backs I'd get a safe mover.

I don't know your particular safe but if I had to move mine 2 miles, I'd attempt this.
    1. Remove Door( mine comes off).
    2. Take main body to back of Pickup and lift and lay on back in bed of truck. (lay movers blankets in bed of truck first)
    When at new location, push off truck slowly and let it right itself. Move into house and place.
    3. Load door on truck and transport. Move into house, put door back on safe.

A dolly that's rated for 700 lbs. is only $80 bucks at Harbour Freight.

When I moved mine from TN it was on the second floor of the house, took several of us to get it upstairs when we moved in that house back in 2001. I had a walk-in closet reinforced and that's where it sat until we moved it in 2023. A few friends and I discussed just leaving it and buying a new one and or moving it. I wanted to keep it because it was Browning and it cost me $1500 in 1994. It is
    a well-built safe.
    What we ended up doing was moving it to the top of the stairs, laying it on its back, placing a strap around the bottom of it and lower it down the stairs, then standing it back upright.

Top Bottom