• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve seen in the castboolits forum people have been using 15-16 grains of h-110 in .357 with 158 grain lead bullets. I’ve also seen a load in the Lyman manual for up to 18.3 grns with a LSWC bullet velocity is stated at 1460. These seem to be a little too hot for lead to me and may run the risk of leading. Anybody have experience pushing lead bullets this quick? Really I’m just wanting to come up with a hot load with some 158 grn LRNFP of unknown hardness I got for a deal. Just want to avoid leading.

fla kid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    2400 powder about 10- 12 gr have worked for me ymmv
    I think h110 may be too hot for lead

Last edited:

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hodgdons sight doesn’t have any data but my Lyman manuals do. Not concerned about finding more published load data. The loads will be well within the saami maximum allowable pressures. Just wanting to know if anybody has ran lead bullets this quick? And if they have has there been any leading issues?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    "Hot load" WHY, because it says MAGNUM ?? , that's called "magnumnittis
    if it weren't for gravity most suffering from this condition couldn't hit the ground . Looks good on a Chronograph but that's it.
    of unknown hardness I got for a deal. A deal is a deal till it isn't.

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow thank you for that. Maybe I can start the curing process of a disease I did not know existed. Anybody have any actual experience with this?

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Wow thank you for that. Maybe I can start the curing process of a disease I did not know existed. Anybody have any actual experience with this?

Acknowledging is the first step to recovery!!! LOL!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

At that speed...you are going to have problems with leading for sure. Even at 1000 fps, leading can occur.

Do you have any other cast bullet to compare to for hardness?

I would use your deal and run them slow., just my opinion.

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Acknowledging is the first step to recovery!!! LOL!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

At that speed...you are going to have problems with leading for sure. Even at 1000 fps, leading can occur.

Do you have any other cast bullet to compare to for hardness?

I would use your deal and run them slow., just my opinion.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I do have some to compare. They seek to be around 15 bhn. Even still pushing a lead bullet upwards of 1400 seemed a little too hot for lead without a gas check. I may just start low and work up slow. I’ve read one of elmers favorite heavy .38 loads was pushing his 158 grn bullet at 1325 FPS. Maybe he was using ultra hard cast bullets?

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Primary concern is do the bullets fit your gun ? I'll assume it's a revolver . If so what do cylinder throats measure ? Easily correctible if undersize ream / hone throats as needed . You want larger than bore diameter , if not flame cutting of bullet base / hot gas blowby will lead . If sized correctly & a good lube used leading will be nominal . Fit is king with cast & good lube or coating second . 357 is a good cartridge for cast . Gaschecked will make life easier , but with a little more work so will plain based . My favorites include the Keith designed LY 358429 ( 170gr PB SWC ) , Thompson designed LY 358156 ( 158gr GCSWC ) & LBT / NOE 180WFN . H110 / W296 I use a mag primer . Max loads with these are 16.0grs with Thompson GC bullet , 15.0grs with the Keith & 14.0grs with 180WFN . Do not reduce by more than 10% & use a mag primer .
    FWIW I've shot the plain based Keith bullet cast of 50/50 Wheelweights/ Pure lead , White Label Carnuba Red & LBT Blue lubes BHN 11 - 12 at 1400fps ( 357 ) & 1250fps from my 38 special Outdoorsman ( 38/44 level ) with minor leading . Easily removed when cleaning .
    FWIW Ol' Uncle Elmer thought 20 to 1 was hard enough ( BHN 8 ) Great cast hollowpoint alloy for 1000fps ala 38+P , 44 special , 45acp .

Last edited:

Chuck9703

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Primary concern is do the bullets fit your gun ? I'll assume it's a revolver . If so what do cylinder throats measure ? Easily correctible if undersize ream / hone throats as needed . You want larger than bore diameter , if not flame cutting of bullet base / hot gas blowby will lead . If sized correctly & a good lube used leading will be nominal . Fit is king with cast & good lube or coating second . 357 is a good cartridge for cast . Gaschecked will make life easier , but with a little more work so will plain based . My favorites include the Keith designed LY 358429 ( 170gr PB SWC ) , Thompson designed LY 358156 ( 158gr GCSWC ) & LBT / NOE 180WFN . H110 / W296 I use a mag primer . Max loads with these are 16.0grs with Thompson GC bullet , 15.0grs with the Keith & 14.0grs with 180WFN . Do not reduce by more than 10% & use a mag primer .
    FWIW I've shot the plain based Keith bullet cast of 50/50 Wheelweights/ Pure lead , White Label Carnuba Red & LBT Blue lubes BHN 11 - 12 at 1400fps ( 357 ) & 1250fps from my 38 special Outdoorsman ( 38/44 level ) with minor leading . Easily removed when cleaning .
    FWIW Ol' Uncle Elmer thought 20 to 1 was hard enough ( BHN 8 ) Great cast hollowpoint alloy for 1000fps ala 38+P , 44 special , 45acp .
    Good stuff. Thanks for all the info. Looks like I need to measure my cylinder throats.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    And there’s some commercial chemical compounds I’ve used with limited results. In the case of a lead bullet stuck in the barrel. I’ve heard of heating the barrel red hot with a torch and letting the lead run out. And from a reliable source not hurting the barrel or the bluing.

Top Bottom