Target Sports

Any Home Electrical Experts - Help Needed Please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking for advice and or someone who would like to help with a small electrical job- I do not mind paying someone either.... I am installing a new AC unit in my home and I have to intall a 240v /60amp breaker into my main (there is room on the board) and then run a wire in conduit up the side of my house about 6 feet, through the soffit, across the attic about 15 feet and drop into the ac closet to hook up a disconnect box. I'm not very efficient in electrical by any means...
    A few questions I have:

1. I was told the wire from the main that runs outside into the attic must be in conduit but does NOT need to be in conduit in the attic and down the wall to hook up the disconnect. (I know I need #6 Wire)
    But... What kind of wire do I need????

2. On the breaker (I need 240v/60amp)
    Do I need a 2 pole or 3 pole?

3. If anyone has any of the above equipment and or wire for sale, how much ?

Lastly,
    Anyone in the field like to make some cash to give me a hand? If so, I need it done on Wednesday.
    I'm free all day... Just shoot me a price.

Thanks!

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Romex wiring with a 2 pole breaker. I used to do electrical small work when I worked at Verizon. Let me know if u need more help. Use silicone caulking for the hole you have to drill I think it works best.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you!
    On the #6 romex, how many cords are in side of it?
    Or does it vary? If so, any idea how any I will need?

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It should all be 3 a hot a neutral and ground. I would grab about 100ft so you have enough. Then if you have any left over you can use it in the future. You want to leave a little slack in it so its not being bent at any weird angles. If you were closer I would come out and run it for free.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is PVC conduit fine to run outside up the side on my house into the Attic? (Its about 7 foot high)

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Super easy job. If you get in a bind yell at me. Will be free after 430 Wednesday. Don't mind helping you a bit or checking your work. For free of course. :)

graepaep

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your unit is 240VAC then you're going to have 2 hots (hence the double pole breaker). Stranded aluminum will work but I prefer stranded copper (just safer). You can probably get away with a 3 conductor wire but go ahead and run the 4 (2 hots, ground and nuetral).

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If your unit is 240VAC then you're going to have 2 hots (hence the double pole breaker). Stranded aluminum will work but I prefer stranded copper (just safer). You can probably get away with a 3 conductor wire but go ahead and run the 4 (2 hots, ground and nuetral).

It is code to have the 4 conductors now. Aluminum should not be used for anything other than your service wire coming into your house.

If your AC unit is 30 amps you can run #10 wire, no need for #6. #10 THHN wire is good up to 30 amps, #8 is good up to 50 amps. #6 is good up to 65 amps. Most AC units are 30 amps. What makes you think that you need a 60 amp breaker? The disconnect at the AC unit is usually rated for 60 amps if that is what you are refering to. But the breaker inside the panel is usually a 30 amp breaker. The disconnect that most electricians use for the AC disconnect is used for multiple applications beyond AC installation and is simply there as a way for the AC technician to disconnect power without having to enter your home if a repair is needed. I am a former commercial electrician and current electrical engineer if you have any questions, just let me know.

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is code to have the 4 conductors now. Aluminum should not be used for anything other than your service wire coming into your house.

If your AC unit is 30 amps you can run #8 wire, no need for #6 unless the unit is 50 amps. Most AC units are 30 amps. What makes you think that you need a 60 amp breaker? The disconnect at the AC unit is usually rated for 60 amps if that is what you are refering to. But the breaker inside the panel is usually a 30 amp breaker. The disconnect that most electricians use for the AC disconnect is used for multiple applications beyond AC installation and is simply there as a way for the AC technician to disconnect power without having to enter your home if a repair is needed. I am a former commercial electrician and current electrical engineer if you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks for the input TP, I am not current in code. I appreciate your telling him that. Didnt want to be responsible for fire or code violation. Saw many house fires due to aluminum wiring in the past. I did at least know not to use that crap in a house! But thanks again!

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll divulge all my electrical knowledge to you:

1. If you mess with it, it will kill you

2. If you don't pay your bill they'll shut it off

Happy to help !

Rick

graepaep

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aluminum should not be used for anything other than your service wire coming into your house.

Edit: nevermind, I was going to argue for the validity of using aluminum wiring for certain applications but it's a moot point

Top Bottom