• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Why do people continue to post firearms for sale with the Serial Number plainly displayed for public view?

That in my opinion should be something kept between buyer and seller.

Just my 2 cents......

Because firearm serial numbers in many cases are not unique.

Having a serial number visible is no big deal, if it were, gun shops would cover them.

With that said... cover em if you want.

ETA- in other words, what are you going to do with a SN?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Because firearm serial numbers in many cases are not unique.

Having a serial number visible is no big deal, if it were, gun shops would cover them.

With that said... cover em if you want.

ETA- in other words, what are you going to do with a SN?
    I have personally entered a serial number in the past in Google to confirm a rumor. It went to a picture of the thread of the gun for sale. There were threads elsewhere saying Google and/or the government were building a database based on photos.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I have personally entered a serial number in the past in Google to confirm a rumor. It went to a picture of the thread of the gun for sale. There were threads elsewhere saying Google and/or the government were building a database based on photos.

LOL tin foil hat crap. But you believe what you want.

ETA- you have all kinds of high level folks in the .gov selling their souls for cash in exchange for secret info. Military included.

If the .gov really wanted serial numbers to match with owners, I'm quite sure plenty of shady gun store clerks and wannabe gunsmiths would sell that info under the table... to think people are scouring the internet writing down serial numbers and then attempting to create a data base is outright laughable.

tros6t

Marksman
    They have been tracking everything for years now! But if you want to believe otherwise, they prefer that!

Rational Mind

Expert
    LOL tin foil hat crap. But you believe what you want.

ETA- you have all kinds of high level folks in the .gov selling their souls for cash in exchange for secret info. Military included.

If the .gov really wanted serial numbers to match with owners, I'm quite sure plenty of shady gun store clerks and wannabe gunsmiths would sell that info under the table... to think people are scouring the internet writing down serial numbers and then attempting to create a data base is outright laughable.
    Hmmmmm ?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    And...

Around 2:50 it's noted why, not an attempt to make a data base of Joe Q. Public and what he owns.. I'm not a felon posing with my crap... I do see that a lot in my job on social media posts but I won't get into that on a public forum. 6:45 also mentions other ways data could be harvested, so a guy proudly showing off his new toy that has a pic of the SN is really a nonissue.

Afterall, It's a YT video... all about clicks and views. Lots of speculative hype in that video IMO.

Like another member here already posted in another thread... would be nice to have intelligent dialogue on a gun board... this ain't it.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Less that's out there, less to have problems with is how I look at it.
    But then again, Im a little more tinfoil hat than most.

I dont think it hurts anything, but Im all about not making it easy.

I remember reading about the ATF getting caught making a registry a few years ago.
    First they claimed it wasn't a registry because it wasn't searchable. Now it is searchable...
    Now we get a National Red Flag Center - Things are becoming more Noticeable

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom