• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    another case of not stopping for police, escalating higher when finally pulled over.

over 90 shots, 60 struck...drt, look for akron to burn down

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Where did you see the shot count? Article says he was unarmed. How's this one going to turn out?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah yes, facts. Those pesky, pesky facts.

Yeah--but "found in the car" doesn't equate to justification for firing 90 rounds (or, maybe, shooting at all). From reports thus far, the optics sure aren't good on this. And I'd not want to have been an Akron resident anywhere near that (apparently) one sided "firefight".

In general, case law is not good for anyone on the use of deadly force on a fleeing subject. And, with good reason.

Coomer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I asked my army buddy who became a deputy in arizona if he ever had to shoot someone on the job. He said that if he had to, he’d make sure to shoot to kill so they didn’t come back to sue later. I’m assuming those Akron cops had the same thoughts in mind.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I asked my army buddy who became a deputy in arizona if he ever had to shoot someone on the job. He said that if he had to, he’d make sure to shoot to kill so they didn’t come back to sue later. I’m assuming those Akron cops had the same thoughts in mind.
    Family will still sue. Wrongful death, white devils, etc...

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Yeah--but "found in the car" doesn't equate to justification for firing 90 rounds (or, maybe, shooting at all). From reports thus far, the optics sure aren't good on this. And I'd not want to have been an Akron resident anywhere near that (apparently) one sided "firefight".

In general, case law is not good for anyone on the use of deadly force on a fleeing subject. And, with good reason.
    I read he shot at police during the car chase.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Even the Chief was walking back his earlier pre-video release comments he made to the family and their lawyers reference what he saw on the video was "concerning". The Chief points out exactly why officers fired. The Chief should be shamed out of his department for opening his mouth and sticking his foot in it. He was ready to sacrifice his officers. Screw that guy. Even the press called him out on his earlier comment.

The optics in this case are excellent and the community has one less violent felon running around committing Armed Robberies. You have seen the still pics of him robbing a place correct?

This criminal shot at police, bailed out of the car wearing a ski mask, and after running, turned towards officers with a body posture that makes it look like he's intentionally reaching for something. Those are undisputed facts, and taking in totality of the incident, is a text book "good shoot".

If you're referring to TN v. Garner, this case is apples to oranges.

Last edited:

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The optics in this case are excellent

I only saw a short video clip early and what was said here. Gotta say, if I was an Akron resident, I'd wonder why it took 90 shots expended to subdue one guy. Kinda like a recent high speed chase in, I think, Houston, where multiple officers fired on the subject at fairly close range and didn't cut a hair on the guy.

I think we'll have to disagree on the optics. The "shoot" may well end up being justified. But, I can't agree with good optics on a shootout approaching Heat proportions.

Errybody got an opinion.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I only saw a short video clip early and what was said here. Gotta say, if I was an Akron resident, I'd wonder why it took 90 shots expended to subdue one guy. Kinda like a recent high speed chase in, I think, Houston, where multiple officers fired on the subject at fairly close range and didn't cut a hair on the guy.

I think we'll have to disagree on the optics. The "shoot" may well end up being justified. But, I can't agree with good optics on a shootout approaching Heat proportions.

Errybody got an opinion.

90 rounds? Have they released an official round count?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    90 rounds? Have they released an official round count?

An early report said that, and that he had been hit in the area of 60 times. I doubt seriously anything much "official" has been released on this. Clearly, us flapping our gums on early reports is just that--us flapping our gums.

If you'd like to pick this back up when the official report comes out in weeks/months, I'll be happy to do that.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    An early report said that, and that he had been hit in the area of 60 times. I doubt seriously anything much "official" has been released on this. Clearly, us flapping our gums on early reports is just that--us flapping our gums.

If you'd like to pick this back up when the official report comes out in weeks/months, I'll be happy to do that.

Will be interesting to see not only the final/official results, I'm sure some will be pass-throughs, as well as if any collateral damage or injuries surface.

Personally, other than the possibility of the above mentioned concerns, I'm good with what ever the results end up being.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My only real concern (from what little I heard--4th shooting overshadowed this one) is that some of these incidents are starting to resemble issues that pretty consistently were arising with high speed chase crashes a few years ago. A common theme on some of these we're seeing now is a high speed chase which ends with an immediate shooting/shootout. I'd think your adrenaline, naturally, would be through the roof to transition from high speed pursuit to firing at a suspect (armed or not). The clip of the Houston cops I mentioned sure would seem to suggest that. But, I'd also not expect most line officers to be practicing at that level. The scenario just seems to create a recipe for a poor ending extending beyond the suspect.

I did see that it's "reported" he was unarmed "at the time of the shooting". That "could" make all the difference in the world to the outcome for the officers. Or not.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Plus it was "8" officers. Less than 8 rounds each. Some bullets may have went thru arms and a torso etc. So it may wind up being like 5 or 6 rounds each. So when considering cops are trained to unleash a good 5 or 6 rounds each to neutralize a suspect that's high on God knows what... just to be safe, it begins to make a good bit more sense than they're making it out to be. Plus the report I saw said 60 "wounds". So that could be anything really. The media will twist it all up. We all know that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Plus it was "8" officers. Less than 8 rounds each. Some bullets may have went thru arms and a torso etc. So it may wind up being like 5 or 6 rounds each. So when considering cops are trained to unleash a good 5 or 6 rounds each to neutralize a suspect that's high on God knows what... just to be safe, it begins to make a good bit more sense than they're making it out to be. Plus the report I saw said 60 "wounds". So that could be anything really. The media will twist it all up. We all know that.

Get out of here with that rational nonsense...lol.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Get out of here with that rational nonsense...lol.
    Lol, ikr. And you're a pro. So in your professional opinion, would the officers have been within thier rights and training if they opened fire as soon as the chase ended since he proved he was a clear danger with the vehicle and possibly could injure the police or the public with the car or gun? Or even been legal to shoot them mid pursuit due to the wreckless nature and the fact he was shooting at them and the public? I've seen some get shot legally for for less, and this guy is a double threat so to speak. So if the cops were simply hell bent on killing him, couldn't they have done it earlier? To me the simple fact they was willing to go hands on, despite knowing he was possibly armed tells me they wanted him alive and willing to risk their own safety to do so. I don't see the point in a long foot chase if you secretly plan to shoot them anyways. I've seen cases where a chase is stopped by just shooting the fleeing car once the suspect starts shooting. Heck I don't even think they sent a dog after him. Which many do. That would really suck lol.

Top Bottom