• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tiberius

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to want to do an SBR conversion on an AK sometime in the next year or so. I'm wondering which would be easier and more cost effective: getting one of the many available AK pistols and installing a folding stock on it or buying a rifle and then having the barrel chopped. This would be my first NFA item and I want to do it as painlessly as possible (minus the 350 year wait for the tax stamp, of course). I'm leaning toward the first option but I wanted to see who might have experience with this and what advice you have. Thanks!

BamaFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Imo buying an Ak with 16" barrel and adding a folding stock is nice which i have but is still not pistol length. Buying and chopping and getting a stamp is a waste when you can just purchase an Ak pistol ive seen them as low as $425 on sale. Thats just my opinion if a pistol is what you want just buy the pistol. Hope this helps

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pistol would be best - unless you want a longer barrel.
    A true AMD-65 would be awesome - but most of them have a longer barrel installed now instead of the extended pinned muzzle break......so you would still have work to do.
    Chopping a barrel will probably cause problems with cycling since pistol length rifles have the gas system moved back and the port opened wider.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Don't chop the barrel.
    I've seen some sweet SBRs made from M92s and Dracos. The M92 appears to be easier though.
    AMD-65 would be as easy as removing the MD, but the barrel is not very short at 12" IIRC, and the stock is atrocious.
    Jmo. Ymmv. Good luck.

tiberius

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AMD65 would be an easy conversion

I used to have an AMD65 and I think I'd pass on getting another one. It was very difficult to find accessories that would work for it without significant modification. Based on the feedback I'm getting so far, it seems like the pistol option is the best way to go. I'd want a 10 inch barrel or so. I'll probably get either a Zastava or Arsenal AK pistol, probably the former, since if I'm going to pay for an Arsenal, I'd rather have a longer barrel.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Zastava has some of the best tolerances in production as far as AKs.
    This matters because a poorly made barrel in sorter lengths will fail to stabilize the projectile and result in keyholes, and re barreling an AK is an involved process.
    Having said that, Arsenals sure are pretty and the fit and finish is fantastic.

Top Bottom