• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm looking to purchase an inexpensive, 20 gauge home defense shotgun with an 18"-20" barrel. I am not interested in replacing the stock with a pistol grip.
    The Mossberg/Maverick stocks are too long for me.
    I'm very happy with my Winchester 1300 Youth model for hunting, but they have long stopped making 18", after-market barrels.
    I have been looking at Winchester SPX Defenders, and Stevens 320 Security models, but don't know the stock dimensions.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Several manufacturers make youth stocks for the Mossberg 500/590 series. I know it's an added expense of $40-100, but is an option. There's also just taking a saw and cutting the stock down, as long as you keep it over 26 inches, you're fine.

mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The youth models are perfect, except for the 22"-28" barrel.
    I think a youth stock (if available) on a regular model would be best.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I changed all mine to 12 inch LoP stock and foregrip from Hogue, then put a slip on recoils pad. Got a decent deal through optics planet. Easier to handle and also nice with body armor. You’ll find what works.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look at the bullpup shotguns....short and fun to shoot. I picked one up at PSA fer about 3 bills! It shoots everything I have fed it and hasn't missed a lick yet!

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me start by saying I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another gun. And that's exactly what I would do in your case. start watching your local pawnshops For a good quality shotgun with a polychoke of some kind on the end of the barrel. These are generally older guns and the polychoke hurts Resale value so you should be able to get a good deal. Never cut a Gunbarrel shorter than 18 1/2",( Remember 17.9999" inches is illegal And if the ATF is involved in the measuring Well you get my point)

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Downside to collapsible stocks come with shotguns that have tang safeties (Mossberg 500/590 for example). You have to take your hand off the grip or do some other awkward movement to get to the safety. I personally prefer a tang safety in most situations as to me it's easier and faster to manipulate than a cross-bar safety in front of the trigger, a quick push of the thumb while in shooting position and it's ready to fire, but they are horrible when combined with a pistol grip.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The stevens 320 mentioned by the op was a great shotgun for me. Took it apart next to my 1300 and the action/bolt is identical. During the plandemic a friend came to me as he had nothing for home protection and I could not refuse him the gun for exactly what I paid for it. I ask him all the time to sell it back to me.

mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Look at the bullpup shotguns....short and fun to shoot. I picked one up at PSA fer about 3 bills! It shoots everything I have fed it and hasn't missed a lick yet!
    I would love a good bullpup, at a decent price. Thanks.

mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the tip. Palmetto has some excellent sales

mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The stevens 320 mentioned by the op was a great shotgun for me. Took it apart next to my 1300 and the action/bolt is identical. During the plandemic a friend came to me as he had nothing for home protection and I could not refuse him the gun for exactly what I paid for it. I ask him all the time to sell it back to me.
    I have been looking at the stevens in 20 gauge very closely.

Top Bottom