• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iwb4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. I can put more shots quickly on target with the 9mm. That's why I choose to carry a 9mm. Not for everyone, but it fits my ability as a shooter.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not surprising. The .357 SIG isn't a particularly pleasant handgun to shoot. Recoil is snappy and muzzle blast would deafen you without hearing protection especially indoors.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The .357 SIG is a devastating round but I agree, hard to handle. A ported barrel makes it manageable but still very loud.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always enjoyed shooting the 9mm & I assumed I would shoot it much better then I would the 40. I recently got a G27 in 40 to compare to my G26.

I have to say the result have been surprising. I even bought a shot timer to have some numbers to aid in my testing.

So far the 40 is winning out in every Self defense type situational shooting I have tried. The only thing I know I am better at with the 9mm is shooting small groups at 20 yards. I am not really sure how much that means in a gun battle.

My split time between shots while actual reacquiring the front sight for the 9mm at 8yrds is .73 while the 40 is .68. I also have the data for the same situation at 12 yards. I require that both shots fall on an 8" bullseye or the times do not count.

Compare those to shooting a CCO sized 1911 45 with split time of .82. (In the 45 I do not have near the same amount of data to make a good conclusion.) Will do more on it at a later date.

I need a few more shooting sessions to have enough data to make up my mind.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Loaded hot with a good hollow point, 9mm is good to go. I like Barnes Tax-XPD. They do get snappy though.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend had an accidental discharge with a 9mm several months back. The round went through the heal of his fat paw and then through 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, then spun another 3 feet between the plywood and the concrete floor. Since round discharged so close to his hand, the wound took over month to heal. The 9mm is badass, I don't care what the naysayers say. The sights on 9mm carbines in ww2 were calibrated for 300 meters.... nearly 1000 feet.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The sights on 9mm carbines in ww2 were calibrated for 300 meters.... nearly 1000 feet.

Which carbines are you talking about? The M31 has an effective range of 200 meters, the Sten is 100 meters, and the MP40 was 100 meters. A little after WWII but the Uzi is 200 meters.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which carbines are you talking about? The M31 has an effective range of 200 meters, the Sten is 100 meters, and the MP40 was 100 meters. A little after WWII but the Uzi is 200 meters.

It was something I read in a magazine a long time ago... I stand corrected.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend had an accidental discharge with a 9mm several months back. The round went through the heal of his fat paw and then through 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, then spun another 3 feet between the plywood and the concrete floor.

This is my problem with 9mm and 40S&W -- over penetration. In a self-defense situation, I do not want to have to worry about the possibility of hitting a civilian behind the bad guy if I pull the trigger. For this reason, I carry a 45ACP that is handloaded to 700-750 fps with soft lead 230gr HPs. Large wound channel and if it goes all the way through, the possibility of serious injury to a bystander is significantly reduced. The general rule in a self defense situation is 3-3-3: 3 shots, 3 seconds, 3 feet. A 9mm or 40 at that range will blow right through and potentially create more problems than just the perp.

My 2 cents.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mr talented probably shot himself with fmj. All fmj will over penetrate, kinda what it was made to do. Having said that, in a defense situation , over penetration is the least of my concerns, but I do keep fast moving, rapidly expanding hollow points in 308 and 45 loaded for such an occasion.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is the first time I have heard someone say they choose a 45 because they where concerned about over penetration.:twitch: Just giving you a hard time.

I go with the motto of caring the largest caliber I can shoot effectively but I have to be willing to carry it. For me the 45 is too heavy for EDC. My comfort out weighs my fear of needing a 45 to defend my life.

As most here know the professionals suggest a minimum of 12" of penetration in ballistic gel. I will not argue who is right or who is wrong. Below or some links to good research that has gone into the study of projectile performance.

I think all of the big 3 with the proper bullet choice are effective for SD. IMO I think their is less difference between their performance then we think.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/AR15_Ammo_FAQnRules/index.htm

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Se...om/ammo/project/AR15_Ammo_FAQnRules/index.htm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom