• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/12/9mm-Prices-Climb-As-Scarcity-Of-Ammo-Continues

As the run on ammunition continues, prices for popular rounds like 9mm continue to rise.
    On Feb. 10 I was buying a 50 round box of 9mm ammo online for 17 to 18 dollars. By mid-March that same ammo was $34.97. On May 10 it was over $40.

And this is the cheap 9mm ammo--imported from the former Soviet bloc. All the prices go far north of $40 as you get into other ammo brands.

As Breitbart News reported in April, ammo manufacturers are producing 24 hours a day to meet demand. According to those makers, the scarcity of ammo isn't due to any one cause. Rather, private buyers and government orders, combined with the rhetoric of gun control, has brought about "politically-induced panic buying" that creates long lines at the ammo counters of retailers like Wal-Mart--where customers line up to buy a box of one caliber of ammo or another as soon as supply trucks are unloaded.

National Shooting Sports Spokesman Mike Bazinet explained the buying panic best when he said, "People buy ammunition when they see it even if they don't need it." Thus, the ammo shortages many feared months ago have "[become] self-fulfilling over time."

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    they had .223 at walmart today, didnt see the price but I didnt buy any 'cause i am trying to do my part at slowing down the panic buying, I got plenty , let someone else have it. I know, how very noble of me . LOL!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My point of this too. I have plenty and have stopped buying unless it is stupid cheap, or my flavor of 6.8 plinking ammo.

Exactly!!!!!! Quit buying it people. Quit posting it on all the forums feeding the crazy folks that rush out and buy it up just because. You didn't need it before the caziness. You don't need it now. If everyone will just quit buying the crap, prices might go back down where you can again go buy one box a week to build up your supply.

I can't get my dang kids out practicing on a .22 rifle because of this mess.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have heard so many people say they bought a new gun but could not get any ammo for it. I'm glad that I have not been shopping for new because a dealer that was trying to sell me a new gun and did not have at least one box of ammo for it, I would laugh my way right out the door.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bet this is slowing down gun sales if you cannot buy ammo for the gun you just bought!

I wanted to purchase .22 for my daughter's birthday a few months ago. But even then it was getting crazy and I knew that I was going to hold off on that purchase. Didn't want to get her something that she wouldn't be able to use due to no ammo.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    True John, at the start of this I was already consolidating, now I am at 22, 380, 9mm and 6.8, 12 & 20 gauge, I have more than I will ever shoot at this time all bought reasonably (low if bought today) so I am set. I feel for people that were not prepared. Maybe some good deals on guns when they can't buy ammo for them??

Yeah TP I understand, pellet gun maybe an alternative?? It is so bad I am bartering 22 ammo for A/C work...LOL

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The last 9mm ammo I bought was at the Crestview Walmart (on my way to Tallahassee) back in January and the Federal FMJ was $22 for 100 rounds. Has it really gone up that much or are these just on-line opportunists selling it for the prices you mention ?

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was at Walmart one morning waiting in line for the ammo to be brought out. Discussing ammo needs with the folks around me I stated that I needed .223. The guy in line 2 behind me say that he will sell me up to 500 rounds of .223 for ? ( I can't remember but more than Walmart retail). I wouldn't buy from him. He and his wife were frequently there buying. Obviously, he was buying at retail and reselling at a handsome profit.

Another time I was pretty far back in line. When they brought out the ammo they had 3 boxes of Federal .223 in the 100 round box. The first guy in line bought the 3 boxes. It just so happens I see 3 boxes of Federal .223 100 round box on the Panhandle Gun Trader the next day for $100 per box. More than double the retail Walmart price. Coincidence? May-be, however, you won't make me believe that.

This is one reason there is a shortage: black market personified. I can make it and wait in line to fulfill my ammo needs but I feel for those folks that can't get down there to wait in line. I don't know what the solution is. I know folks want to shoot so they just pay the black market price and it continues to fuel the black marketeers.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, nobody I knew just went and burned 500 rounds of ammo in a day shooting at targets. We might go shoot a box of 50 .22 which was less than a dollar. If I have to, I can return to those days. And that's what I would do before I paid stupid prices for ammo. If everybody would just calm down and realize they aren't going to die if they don't shoot on Saturdays, this will pass, just like it did in '08.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think I will go pop off a bx of 325 today, just because I can...LOL Before the scare I kept little 22 on hand as i just never shot the damn things, now I have thousands of rds and 3 or 4 22's, oh well, maybe I should start selling the guns with ammo?? I guess I need to inventory the guns and ammo. I do have an older Marlin 60 as a project gun where the tube needs to be replaced and or brazed back, I think there are a couple of stocks for it too if anyone is interested

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, maybe you should just sell the .22 ammo and throw in the gun as a bonus. You would probably have better luck. :bounce:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    LOL, I doubt it my Marlin 60 is a beauty w the wood stock and a tactical one too. OH you be the project gun...no it is worth at least $50 in parts alone

Last edited:

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    they had .223 at walmart today, didnt see the price but I didnt buy any 'cause i am trying to do my part at slowing down the panic buying, I got plenty , let someone else have it. I know, how very noble of me . LOL!

Yep...doing the same.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Guess it's time to give mine(9mm) another bump. Probably should upgrade to an "honest" gouger's price also in a week or so. --- SAWMAN

wareagle50

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Walked into a shop in Lafayette Louisiana today, and they just got in 10000 rounds of 22lr and 5000 rounds of 9mm, 45, and 380. Owner said he is starting to get it in a lot more regular. Still limited to 2 boxes of each.

Top Bottom