• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdcujo

Master
    So got a Springfield xd tactical in 45 gap, and know where others back in the day were converting 308 brass to 45 acp. Looking at the dimensions it shouldn't be too difficult to trim to 45 gap , inside ream etc and load to fireform etc.
    Yes I'm aware brass and even can be found but the fees, taxes etc via gb (only place I can consistently find ammo in stock as somehow brass is actually more per round it seems).

Has anyone tried this or even 45 acp trimmed down with spp sized brass?

And no I don't need people telling me just buy the correct brass ammo etc. I want people who have tried this and can either give me suggestions or whatnot as to the process.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Depends on how much you value your time . Admit aint looked at cartridge prints , but sounds doable in theory . Starline if you buy directly runs between 22 to 25 cents a case , min of 500 / $123 . 1000 / $ 220 shipped . I personally use nothing but Starline on all my handguns in 8 different calibers & it has gave me outstanding service . If you load on a Dillon deburr case mouths prior to loading first time , as the Dillon powder drop expander likes to hang on case mouths . Just looked at case prints , the exractor groove / case bevel foward of it are shorter on the GAP case .512" vs .650" on 45acp , & of course oal is also shorter . That being the case IMHO , buy some GAP cases . Not what you want to hear , but if you've ever had / seen a case failure in a handgun I honestly believe you'd agree .
    Every piece of reloading information on the GAP will tell you not to convert .45 ACP cases to GAP. Compared to the ACP, the GAP has a rebated rim, uses small pistol primers, and has a completely different internal taper. The first two factors don’t scare me. The third should scare everyone. As GAP is loaded to 45acp +P pressure & with more unsupported case ( with 45acp brass cut down ) .

You can reload .45 ACP “mixed” or “range pickup” brass until it cracks or it is so worn out one cannot read the headstamp. With GAP, it gets a little trickier. Run questionable brass and one may discover a new definition for “GLOCK bulge.” You’ll get fewer reloads from GAP brass.

Last edited:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Too bad this thread didn’t kick off earlier. I used to be able to source a bunch GAP brass through my teaching contacts with FHP but they have followed the feebs back to 9mm.

Jdcujo

Master
    Depends on how much you value your time . Admit aint looked at cartridge prints , but sounds doable in theory . Starline if you buy directly runs between 22 to 25 cents a case , min of 500 / $123 . 1000 / $ 220 shipped . I personally use nothing but Starline on all my handguns in 8 different calibers & it has gave me outstanding service . If you load on a Dillon deburr case mouths prior to loading first time , as the Dillon powder drop expander likes to hang on case mouths . Just looked at case prints , the exractor groove / case bevel foward of it are shorter on the GAP case .512" vs .650" on 45acp , & of course oal is also shorter . That being the case IMHO , buy some GAP cases . Not what you want to hear , but if you've ever had / seen a case failure in a handgun I honestly believe you'd agree .
    Every piece of reloading information on the GAP will tell you not to convert .45 ACP cases to GAP. Compared to the ACP, the GAP has a rebated rim, uses small pistol primers, and has a completely different internal taper. The first two factors don’t scare me. The third should scare everyone. As GAP is loaded to 45acp +P pressure & with more unsupported case ( with 45acp brass cut down ) .

You can reload .45 ACP “mixed” or “range pickup” brass until it cracks or it is so worn out one cannot read the headstamp. With GAP, it gets a little trickier. Run questionable brass and one may discover a new definition for “GLOCK bulge.” You’ll get fewer reloads from GAP brass.
    So that exact thing I said I didn't need. Cus I've already read plenty of people saying this exact stuff. Was looking if someone's actually tried it.

And it's not in a glock so the glock bulge crap generally referring to 40 s&w isn't relevant anyways. Nor am I trying to hotrod the cartridge.

Top Bottom