• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kent22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's how I started. 7 years old with my grandfather. Stalks and runnin dogs. It worked pretty well but I never shot anything over about 25 yards. But back then 25 yards felt like 200 yards so I might be exaggeratin. Haha. Those were my most memorable hunts though

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I guess it could kill a deer, but that’s one of those “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” things. I am 56 and only a few times in my life have I not dropped them where they stood. I am not a fan of a gun that might not dispatch an animal quickly and humanely.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    I guess it could kill a deer, but that’s one of those “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” things. I am 56 and only a few times in my life have I not dropped them where they stood. I am not a fan of a gun that might not dispatch an animal quickly and humanely.

I agree with ccc 100%. A few operative words that are used do not belong in the vocabulary of a meat hunter are "I guess" and "might not". Why would you risk what would be a kill shot with the appropriate ammo for the most expensive shot gun shell that may not get the job done. You have to blood track an animal that isn't dispatched with the first shot. Not a fan.

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you keep it at bowhunting range you should be OK...if you do your part! Many years ago while hunting on Eglin a buddy's 11 yoa daughter shot a 4 point with a .410 slug at about 20 paces. It didn't go more than about 30 ft. Paul Harrell on You-Tube did some interesting tests on .410 suitability for HD.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    I'm not beating any one up. Unlike our oldest and most prestigest universities (UPenn, Harvard, MIT) every ones opinion should be heard without duress. I think a .410 slug is approximately 110 grains. About the weight of a .30 M1 carbine without the velocity 2200 fps = (energy). I would be more comfortable with a 9 MM PCC with 147 grain Gold Dot bullet at approx. 1800 fps than a 5/8 ounce .410 slug at 1200 fps. IMO

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not beating any one up. Unlike our oldest and most prestigest universities (UPenn, Harvard, MIT) every ones opinion should be heard without duress. I think a .410 slug is approximately 110 grains. About the weight of a .30 M1 carbine without the velocity 2200 fps = (energy). I would be more comfortable with a 9 MM PCC with 147 grain Gold Dot bullet at approx. 1800 fps than a 5/8 ounce .410 slug at 1200 fps. IMO
    According to Hornady their 410 FTX is 210 grain, I"m still trying to find the ballistics on it, weird Hornady doesn't list it that I can see.

Top Bottom