• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to purchase a suppressor for either an 8.5" or 10.5" .300BLK SBR. Any recommendations, and what is the price spectrum? Going to use primarily for pigs. I have an NFA trust, just unsure of which can provides the best value for what I need. All input is appreciated.

Zeke
    SW Pensacola

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Plan on subs only or supers too?
    Blackout use only?
    Jacketed bullets only?

Many 9mm suppressors can be used. May be limited to subs. Cheapest way to go if you can live with some limitations. I've got an older YHM with break attach.
    AAC Cyclone. Heavy, stainless & inconel, rated up to. 308. Can be had in the $600 range.
    Templar Tactical ARK30. Light, Titanium, rated for .223 in semi auto and .300 WinMag. Basically their .223 opened to .30. $1000ish.
    These are what I have. There are a few more amongst the folks I shoot with.
    Might be able to come out see them in action some time.

There are MANY good suppressors on the market. Can be hard to choose.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you decide to pull the trigger, let me know. i can sell direct or do a transfer for you. Love my SDN-6

Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would like the option of shooting supers and subs. This can will be used just on the dedicated .300BLK host. I plan on shooting jacketed ammo only, 125-147 supers & 220 subs. With a good .300BLK can, what other caliber options can be used? Can I suppress 5.56 and .308 with a .300BLK can? what about pistol calibers? Sorry about all the questions, but this is a new vector for me.

Zeke

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious and only a little off topic...

Did u do the trust urself or get it done in town somewhere???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeanBry

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did a online trust form that was slightly modified, so far so good, just waiting on stamp for AAC SDN6

This space intentionally left blank

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just a few supressor companies.
    I'm sure I've missed someones favorite.
    Take a look. Some make Blackout specific but look at all the .30cal cans so you'll have an idea of cost vs features.
    Shooting supers may eliminate most 9mm cans. For sure if you'd like the option for shooting .223 or .308.
    If you have no plans to shoot cast bullets, a sealed can would be fine tho I like the idea of user serviceable.
    Prices are MSRP and a dealer may get better prices from some companies.
    Add in the cost of mounts if you look at quick attach, that can add up fast.

In no particular order.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/Silencers_c_16.html
    http://libertycans.net/
    http://thunderbeastarms.com/
    http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/home.asp
    http://www.silencerco.com/products/
    http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14
    http://www.templartacticalfirearms.com/
    http://www.eliteiron.net/suppressors.html

Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did my own trust based on a template that was sent to me by a Class 3 dealer. Pretty straight forward ;)

Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the list of manufacturers. Anyone to definitely stay away from?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I would like the option of shooting supers and subs. This can will be used just on the dedicated .300BLK host. I plan on shooting jacketed ammo only, 125-147 supers & 220 subs. With a good .300BLK can, what other caliber options can be used? Can I suppress 5.56 and .308 with a .300BLK can? what about pistol calibers? Sorry about all the questions, but this is a new vector for me.

Zeke

If the ".300BLK can" is rated by the maker to also handle 5.56, .308, and 6.8SPC with the bbl length you will be using, then it will handle it (not all 300BLK capable cans are also 5.56 and .308 rated). My current one (Gemtech Quicksand) is rated for .308, and I thus use it for 5.56 and 300BLK, and hope to use it with the 6.8SPC in the future. My new can (ARK30) (waiting on approval) is also so rated. Shooting them both side-by-side, everyone agreed the Quicksand was a touch quieter than the ARK30, but is 2" longer than the ARK30 and weighs about 6 ounces more. For the weight and length savings, I think it's a good trade-off. Besides that, when shot by its self, they all sound fine.

A factor you maybe hadn't considered is the weight of the can. Titanium will weigh less, but generally costs more. My Quicksand is titanium and so is the ARK30. If your hunting style involves stalking/walking vs sitting in a stand, maybe titanium would be a good choice.

You certainly can shoot .22 rimfire through a 300BLK can, but rimfires leave lead deposits inside the can which may be difficult to impossible to remove unless the can be taken apart.

My "hog" setup is a 9.5" Core15 300BLK upper with Leupold 1.25-4x Hog Plex scope, a UTAC-32M thermal clip-on sight, and Quicksand suppressor using Nosler 125gr BT reloads at 2076fps. It gives me enough velocity for about 150yd. I've yet to get a hog or even shoot at one, but it sure is fun trying...I get to see lots of deer, rabbits, and some coyotes at night, all who have no idea I'm watching them.

You may be too far to come to my place just north of Milton, but if you ever do, you are welcome to shoot and listen to mine being shot subsonic and supersonic, close by and maybe from a ways away so you can get some live experience. We can shoot the 30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 too.

Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Daezee,
    Thank you for the info. I had not considered the weight angle yet, and Titanium makes sense. I also like the option of user serviceability. How important is cleaning the can if you use multiple calibers? The .300 seems quite a bit dirtier than my 5.56. I apologize for my steep learning curve.

Zeke

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Daezee,
    Thank you for the info. I had not considered the weight angle yet, and Titanium makes sense. I also like the option of user serviceability. How important is cleaning the can if you use multiple calibers? The .300 seems quite a bit dirtier than my 5.56. I apologize for my steep learning curve.

Zeke

My Quicksand cannot be taken completely apart for cleaning (most 30 cal cans cannot be taken apart either). The rear of it can be taken apart for cleaning of the mounting system and brushing out of the expansion chamber (the first chamber, normally the largest, in which the gasses expand outward before hitting the "blast" or first baffle). I shoot a lot of subsonic, low pressure, 108gr frangible bullets (compressed lead and bakelite, GI surplus from WWII) using Unique powder (estimate 1600 of them through this suppressor). I was unable to get a good pic to post, but with a light shining into the rear of the suppressor, I can see areas of about 1mm buildup of gray on the inside walls around the blast baffle of the expansion chamber that a brush does not remove. It doesn't seem to adversely affect performance, and after shooting some supersonic jacketed bullets you will see where some of the buildup has broken off and disappears, especially after firing some 5.56 (5.56 in a short bbl has higher exit pressure than 300BLK). I cannot see better into the rest of the can to see if any appreciable buildup is there. HOLD EVERYTHING...I just had a brain storm....

I just asked a friend to bring his bore scope to the range the next time. Using it, maybe I can look for buildup inside the suppressor. Don't know if I'll be able to focus on the suppressor walls, but I'll give it a try.

Back to the discussion. Using jacketed or plated bullets (not cast), I wouldn't worry about buildup inside a centerfire suppressor. After all, how often do you clean your car muffler? Now my ARK30 can be completely taken apart, but the main reason I got it was the price (half price from a group buy on Snipers Hide; group buy is over). That it can be taken apart was a bonus, and I intend to shoot some suppressed cast bullets in it and take it apart to see what leading, if any, is there. Follow any cleaning instructions given by the maker (typical instructions would be there is no need to clean, but you can fill with kroil or bore solvent, shake and drain and dry thoroughly before firing), but in my opinion, cleaning the inside of a centerfire rifle suppressor in which you do not shoot cast bullets or .22 rimfire ammo is a non-issue...just follow the same schedule as you do for cleaning your car muffler. Other than a few shots, I would NEVER shoot a lot of .22 rimfire ammo in a non-take-apart centerfire suppressor. .22 rimfire does leave lead deposits which buildup inside a suppressor. Visit the various suppressor forums and do a lot of reading there.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ah, the budget. 1 - List the features you want. 2 - List the models that meet most of the features you want. 3 - List of those that then meet your budget. 4 - Buy what is available within the #3 list. 5 - Wait. 6 - Enjoy.

Zeke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have decided, without a doubt, that what I want and what I can afford do not appear to be on the same list ;(
    What do you guys think about the AAC Cyclone? Where is the cutoff $$ for a solid, reputable, functional can? I was hoping to do both a dedicated .300 and .22 and stay around $1000-1100........ The search continues. Need to find a great deal on a group buy

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have decided, without a doubt, that what I want and what I can afford do not appear to be on the same list ;(
    What do you guys think about the AAC Cyclone? Where is the cutoff $$ for a solid, reputable, functional can? I was hoping to do both a dedicated .300 and .22 and stay around $1000-1100........ The search continues. Need to find a great deal on a group buy

I've got a Cyclone if you'd like to check it out.

Top Bottom