30 years ago, the Clinton AWB was signed and enacted into law. 20 years ago, it expired.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    https://www.shootingnewsweekly.com/...-the-clinton-assault-weapons-ban-was-enacted/

Man, I remember it like it was yesterday. The ups and down that happened in that ten-year period was absolutely insane and incredible at the same time. How the market and industry changed, but more importantly how the political landscape changed.

Update:

Part two is now out

1000010443_png-3322073.JPG

Last edited:

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Yep.... I remember $75 dollar G17 mags and bought lots of stuff because of it. For fun I collect the mags.View attachment 504296
    Prior to the AWB, long-guns like AR-15s while in stores. Weren't flying off store shelves. I recall after the ban was enacted. The popularity of guns like AR-15s, AKs, etc... exploded and people purchased 'em by the pallet. When the government tells the people they can't do or own something. The people do exactly what they're told by government they can't do.

Also, the ban completely ushered in the concealed carry movement. When the ban was enacted, over half the country was No/May issue when it came to carry permits. Well, by the end of the ban, that changed. And even the market changed too. All the advances we have today in concealed carry firearms, that was spurred by the ban.

Manufacturers prior to the ban were making large, full-size duty pistols for Police and Military markets. Well, the ban changed that. Suddenly, a GLOCK 17 post-ban had a lot of empty space in its mag-well. So, GLOCK got rid of the empty space and created the GLOCK 26.

I remember the media towards the end of the ban was furious that there were concealable pistols chambered in 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

And of course, the ban reshaped the entire political landscape and made gun rights a key issue.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    I was 14 in 94 and really didn't know much about it back then but as I got older and wanted to own one they were way to expensive for my budget. I stuck with revolvers and shotguns. How times have changed.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Prior to the AWB, long-guns like AR-15s while in stores. Weren't flying off store shelves. I recall after the ban was enacted. The popularity of guns like AR-15s, AKs, etc... exploded and people purchased 'em by the pallet. When the government tells the people they can't do or own something. The people do exactly what they're told by government they can't do.

Also, the ban completely ushered in the concealed carry movement. When the ban was enacted, over half the country was No/May issue when it came to carry permits. Well, by the end of the ban, that changed. And even the market changed too. All the advances we have today in concealed carry firearms, that was spurred by the ban.

Manufacturers prior to the ban were making large, full-size duty pistols for Police and Military markets. Well, the ban changed that. Suddenly, a GLOCK 17 post-ban had a lot of empty space in its mag-well. So, GLOCK got rid of the empty space and created the GLOCK 26.

I remember the media towards the end of the ban was furious that there were concealable pistols chambered in 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

And of course, the ban reshaped the entire political landscape and made gun rights a key issue.

Yep... AR15 rifles were hard sells as was FMJ ammo... you couldn't hardly give FMJ ammo away in the mid 80's.

Firearms and shooting has really exploded in the past twenty years.

850guns

Master
    Yeah, my first firearms purchases were during the ban. I bought inexpensive .380 and 9mm single stack pistols to protect my family. Then in 2005, Ed's in Pace showed me a Sub-2000.
    S2k, big stick glock mag, hard case, box of ammo, $400 OTD.

I've been hooked ever since.

Top Bottom