• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've never owned a suppressor but I'm thinking about getting one for a 22lr pistol. I currently have a Ruger MK III 22/45 with a standard barrel that is about as perfect as a .22 can be. Was thinking about getting another 22lr pistol to suppress. Any suggestions on which suppressor you prefer and where to buy? I've been looking at the Warlock 2.....but I really haven't checked them out enough to know anything.

I know about the tax stamp and length of time it takes....other than that I'm fairly clueless and just looking for your educated input.

Best Regards,
    Jerry

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Silencerco SS Sparrow is really nice. It has internal half tubes that protect the outer tube from getting leaded up and makes cleaning much easier.

I have an AAC element, and it is quiet, but I have to use a tool to get the baffles out after 1000 rounds and it is hard to get the tube clean.

Whatever you choose it should be stainless steel (so you can use "the dip" to clean) and easily disassemble. I know that SWR has a good reputation, but I don't think they make the absolute quietest.

The dealer I got my cans through started a free review and testing site a while back. Lots of info there.

http://www.silencerforum.com/sound-testing-reviews.html

Hope that helps.

nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I checked out this youtube video on the sparrow, element and warlock II. The element seems to be the quietest as you said but if it's a pain to clean that's a definate detractor. The sparrow and warlock II are almost the same in sound suppression. I believe that the warlock II is aluminum and has a lifetime warranty not sure about the sparrow. I have to check out the difference in price, warranty and cleaning of all three yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKJRDungfg

Best Regards,
    Jerry

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't think any are exactly easy to clean, molten lead tends to stick pretty good. The sparrows half tube feature is just unique as far as I have seen and protects the registered part (the tube) from getting leaded up or damaged.

I clean my element baffles in an ultrasonic cleaner with a 50/50 vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mix, it makes a nasty hazardous substance that eats up the lead but doesn't damage the stainless. I scrub the inside of the tube with a metal brush and break free as best a I can, but its never 100 percent clean.

You won't believe how much lead build up in these things. I put several thousand rounds through mine without cleaning and when I cleaned it there were literally chunks of lead coming out with the baffles.

glockandar15

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just go see Larry down at Ammunition Sales. I ended up with a hunters town stainless 22. Half the cost and just as quiet.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't make my purchase based on price, I read all of the reviews, saw all of the sound reduction data, and bought the best that was available at the time. There isn't much of a market for used suppressors, so I figured do it once, do it right. I have no doubt that the hunters town suppressors work well, but do your research.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In addition to the suppressor you may want to do a modification to add a slide lock selector so the action will not cycle if you don't want it to. The less those rats hear the better.

Last edited:

nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks much everyone! I'm definately going with the stainless baffles over aluminum. I'm stuck between the Guardian SS and Sparrow SS. I don't plan on putting thousands of rounds through it (but I don't plan on a lot of things)...and doubt I'd spend the money on an ultrasonic cleaner. I'd probably be more tempted to buy another gun or ammo instead, unless I could get one under a couple hundred dollars.

If I go with the Guardian SS I'd probably go through Larry at Ammo sales. If I go with Sparrow, the best price I can find is with the silencer shop......not sure if Larry would price match or order it from them for me? I'd prefer the Sparrow since it's all stainless (if I can get it at a reasonable price)....if not I'll go with the Guardian.

Thanks again for all the great advice. If you see anything I'm missing please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jerry

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    " the dip" works effectively with or without the ultrasonic cleaner. The cleaner just helps to speed the process! FYI I picked mine up at harbor freight for somewhere in the 20 dollar range. It had a 90 second auto shut off, but using a small piece of tape to stick down the button made it always on.

It sounds as if you're really on the right track, but I will say, you will be really shocked at how much you shoot when you are able to go right out in the back yard and knock down a few cans with your .22.

nvyguy1985

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oh heck I was looking at ultrasonic cleaners costing $700.....If I had to spend that kind of money I'd be to tempted to buy another pistol or ammo. That makes the decision very easy....I'll go with the sparrow. Thanks again!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think that is a great choice... now the worst part. WAITING!

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone tried out the adapter that allows you to attach an automotive oil filter as a suppressor. The adapter is registered instead of the can. I tried one the other day and it was "scary" quiet. The first time I ever heard a suppressor that actually sounds like the ones in the movies. Since the first shot makes the exit hole, its adaptable to whatever caliber you want to suppress. The one I shot was on a .22, but the owner told me that he has used it on 9mm and .45 pistols with excellent results. You just have to buy a new oil filter for each different caliber. The only disadvantages I noticed were the weight and the inability to use the sights. Rudimentary sights can be made using cardboard and tape, though.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still 200. The adaptor is the silencer, the registered and serialized component.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Certainly wont look good hanging off of the end of a rifle.... haha

Major Weapons

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gents, I am a class III dealer, and have an AAC element and prodigy on hand. I am impressed with the Prodigy with the gen III core. It is so much easier to clean than the element. The noise difference might be different on a dosimeter, but to the ear virtually identical. This last weekend we were out at Santa Rosa Shooting center with a .22 AR with the Element and it was not much louder than a pellet gun.

Bar none the quietest .22 pistol I have ever heard was the AWC amphibian with a bolt catch. Check out TBA suppressors for integral .22 suppressors, as he is a little cheaper than AWC and does custom work.

http://tbasuppressors.com/suppressors-2/integral-pistol/integral-qas-mk-ii-mk-iii-2245/

Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom