• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up an old Wards .22 bolt gun over the weekend. It is a model 46, which seems to be a mossberg 42 from 1935-1937 from what I gather. It did not come with a magazine and after looking for replacements I realized the magazine catch on the weapon did not come with it... so an original mag would be no help. The mag release reads "national lock co. Rockford Illinois" and seems to have been filed on a bit.

The dilemma: I have no clue who reworked this gun and what magazine they made work in it. I would love to hear some opinions on what this might have been set up to take. If I can't find what this was made to work with I will likely try to modify it to take a common magazine. What do you guys think? I will take some more pictures when I get home, but these are all I have at the moment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yea, saw that one for sale...... Looked modified so that kept me & possibly others away..... Wish you luck....find a reputable gunsmith and see if they can recognize the assembly to determine the mag needed... looks like a great gun, hope it works out...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea, saw that one for sale...... Looked modified so that kept me & possibly others away..... Wish you luck....find a reputable gunsmith and see if they can recognize the assembly to determine the mag needed... looks like a great gun, hope it works out...

Yeah, I figured it had been tinkered with, but it shoots great as a single shot as is. For the price I figured it would end up as a project anyway. Being built between 1935 and 1937, this is one of the simplest actions I've ever seen... certainly can't be too hard to get a magazine to where it will pull rounds off of it is what I'm thinking...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just a thought....

If the original magazines for the Mossber 42 are available, why not try to return the thing to original?

They seem to be of very limited availability. $50+ for originals and aftermarkets are back-ordered with no estimated delivery date everywhere I've found them.

What concerns me more is the tooling marks on the receiver that don't look to be from the factory.. I think it was filed/ground when that magazine release was installed. I am guessing the original magazine will be of no use without a machine shop.

Try Wideners.com. They may have the part you need.

The problem is I don't know what part I need..

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that isn't going to laugh at my questions? haha! Thanks -Josh

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    If you want to take it back to OEM get on Numrich they carry a ton of parts for our vintage firearms and all parts are the cheapest around I just redid the trigger system on a very old colt and ordered 4 parts only cost me 8.40 + 4.80 shipping

Top Bottom