• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Alright 1911 junkies I need some advice. I recently bought a colt rail gun & need to buy some new grips as my hands are on the small side. I was thinking about getting some with big thumb cut outs so I can reach the mag release.

The problem is no one I know of sells them locally. They seem to come in standard width & slim. How much thinner are the slims?

I was going to buy some VZ Custom grips & I wanted to know if the slim would make a big enough difference that I would not need the big cut vs the normal mag cut out.

While no one can tell me 100% that ether will work for me any help would be nice as I do not want to waste $70. I guess the safest bet would be to buy the ones with the larger cut.

Pictures of the different cuts. Figure 1 & figure 2 in the link below.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911

Thanks Joe

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Might wanna check out RAASCO grips. I have a set and like em.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Slim is about 50% slimmer, but it's about the shooting grip, not getting to the mag release. I never thought that getting to the mag release as a top priority. The design of it is to have to change your grip to release the mag. Otherwise, you'll likely, under stress, inadvertently, in the heat of a firefight, release a mag and drop it on the floor and be empty. Even with training, a tap-rack, it won't get you a bang( if you don't realize that you've dropped the mag)..Or you could release the mag and it not drop, which you'll get a bang slide lock, where a tap-rack will give you more bangs. Either way, you're having to do manipulations in the middle of a firefight, which is not good at all.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have felt slims, as I once bought them on accident, it makes a big difference. VZ makes a nice grip, but if you've never handled them, they are VERY rough. In my opinion, the rougher patterns are hard to carry, as they will chew through your clothes as well as your skin. If that's not a consideration, they are awesome. I used to keep them on my car gun. VZ Operator II, to be exact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just as CCHGN said it's more about the grip, then easily accessing the mag release. Slim grips will make for a more comfortable grip if you have smaller hands, but will not make much difference in reaching the mag release. Also if you go to the slim grips you will need to change out the bushings.

If all you are going for is easier transition to the mag release then just install an extended mag release.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have felt slims, as I once bought them on accident, it makes a big difference. VZ makes a nice grip, but if you've never handled them, they are VERY rough. In my opinion, the rougher patterns are hard to carry, as they will chew through your clothes as well as your skin. If that's not a consideration, they are awesome. I used to keep them on my car gun. VZ Operator II, to be exact.

I love their grips, but always get 320s, they are "grippy" but not rough on the skin or clothing.

I didn't notice a huge difference with the slims when I had them on a Para Ordnance P13, but I did like them. I'm a lefty so I can't comment on the thumb cuts they do.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info guys.

For me the mag release is a way too far away. I usually can not reach the release on my other pistols but it is only a small adjustment away. My fingers are just not long enough for the long frame of the 1911.

Even if I take the left grip panel off I can not operate the release with out some grip adjustment, so no worry about accidentally pushing it.

Joe

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info guys.

For me the mag release is a way too far away. I usually can not reach the release on my other pistols but it is only a small adjustment away. My fingers are just not long enough for the long frame of the 1911.

Even if I take the left grip panel off I can not operate the release with out some grip adjustment, so no worry about accidentally pushing it.

Joe

Well, the "grip adjustment" is exactly what the design is. What are you looking for? Being able to hit the mag release without a "grip adjustment"?
    So you can reach the mag release on a double stack pistol? I own double stacks( BHP, M&P9) and a single(1911) and find the same "grip adjustment" to release a mag.

No offense, but have you been shooting much? I've been shooting IDPA for over 10 yrs and feel that's a pretty good test of stress( timed competition) and releasing the mag has never been an issue. You just reach around and hit the thing and go on. Seriously, the bigger stress is getting the new mag out, indexing it( is it forward or backwards?) and hitting the magwell( without taking your eyes off your target or the cover you're moving to, what's on the ground in front of you, etc), all on the move.

Btw, this is another reason why I'm in the NYC reload (BUG) camp,,,IMO, you can very easily drop a mag during a reload and be SOL.

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used their:
    320s-Very fine and soft
    Aliens- A good happy medium that is grippy yet isn't abrasive on softer hands
    Double Diamonds- A classic look with a sharper grip than Aliens. I prefer these over all else.
    Gunner- Very sharp with large golf ball size holes in the grip. These have made my rough hands bleed shooting over 500 rounds in a day once.

The slims are a nice upgrade. It definitely helps a little with concealability while sacrificing little in terms of perceived grip.
    As for the mag relief, I've never used them since I'm a lefty.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CCHGN if you want to get in a debate go back to your Syrian thread. If you have some helpful advice thats great.

You are missing the point the frame is too long for Me not too wide. I understand your point about gun design but if a weapons design causes me undue struggle I get a different platform or adjust the platform for easier operation. You seem to think I don't get it. I got it. It seems you are trying to convince me a gun designer who built a weapon over 100 years ago knows what works better for me then I do.

Every pistol I own is a double stack glock besides one XDS 9mm. I can reach the mag release with only a minor adjustment on all of them.

On the 1991 frame I have to adjust my hand twice as far & it is still awkward to operate the mag release. Part of that is because the release on most modern weapons is at the same hight or protrudes a little past the grip. On the 1911 my thumb has to go around the grip to reach the mag release. Hence why I wanted a thumb cut out.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Extended mag release with properly cut slim grips should definitely make it easier for you. Assuming your MSH is flat, though I think it's arched on the 1991's I've seen. Good luck!

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Extended mag release with properly cut slim grips should definitely make it easier for you. Assuming your MSH is flat, though I think it's arched on the 1991's I've seen. Good luck!

Good point, a flat MSH will make a world of difference for 1911 grip size feel.

Top Bottom