• ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    SAWMAN takes a big hog

DSCN2674.JPG
    DSCN2679.JPG

I'll let SAWMAN tell his story, but about 1am today, SAWMAN got this large boar. SAWMAN phoned for help so Chaps was going to come to the field to help load, but SAWMAN said both of us were needed. Indeed it took all 3 of us to drag and load him. It's been dressed and cut up and distributed to a family that can use the meat. I had a cloth tape measure with me, 46" long. With effort, snugging up on the tape, he read 46" which calculates to 262 pounds, and I believe it. It looks sorta gray in the top pic, but was actually black. Lots of fat in that porker. The bullet didn't make it through to the other side. Its "shield" felt like you were hitting a rock.

Attachments

• DSCN2674.JPG
      DSCN2674.JPG
      171.2 KB · Views: 169
    • DSCN2679.JPG
      DSCN2679.JPG
      178.3 KB · Views: 161

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Went out for a late PM hunt with DAEZEE and another forum member. We decided to split up this time. Two took the fields that we slayed 'em in about a week ago and they decided to put me over in the field that we started in a week ago.

I parked my truck about 12:30AM and walked into "THE" spot that gives a view of the entire field of probably 50+ acres. The peanuts have been harvested but there are still some in the sandy soil which makes for some fine rootin'.

After about an hour of deer,coons,armadillo's,and possums I noticed some heat signatures over on the far side of the field. I abandoned my chair and backpack,grabbed my Primos Trigger Stick(bi-pod),and started across the field. The width of the field is about 300yds and I moved slowly. I was dressed in all black with a black knit hat.

The hogs(4) were feeding from right to left so I basically had to cut them off by not walking directly at them. I finally set myself up so that I would intercept them about 150yds to my left. I was determined to see how close I could get to them. The night was dark with not allot of ambient light. No moon but bright stars.

When I finally got to where I wanted to be they fed across in front of me in the open field,at about 30-40yds. I could tell that they were all boar by the way they acted,moved,and interacted with each other. Three were the same size with one being just a little bigger. All were "big". With my gun(6.8 pistol)now on the sticks I picked the biggest but he was constantly being covered by another hog. I settled on the "smaller" hog and sent a 120gr Hornady SST on it's way,aiming for just in back the visibly massive shoulder plate.

I could hear the impact. The hog staggered to the side and damn near fell over. I could see thru my thermal, blood spurting out of the hole,provided by the heart and lungs which had been severely fragged. He was dead,he just didn't know it yet. But his brain was telling him that his BP was dropping to zero. But ..... he started to run. I have seen this before in hogs. You can almost tell just when they will fall. My thermal could make out the hog,spurting globs of blood,enter the open pines. Then he crashed. He kicked a couple of times and was still.

I easily found him about 25yds in and called DAEZEE to let him know that I had a hog down. He wanted to know if it would take all three of us to load him as he wanted to stay to watch the other field. Looking down at the hog with my 1200L light,I said ..."nope,it's gonna take all three of us".

After pics,DAEZEE put the tape around him and came up with 262lbs. He had started to get some nice cutters. He had not been barred. Another great hunt with some great guys.

DAEZEE should be along with some pics shortly. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    SAWMAN got this large boar. SAWMAN phoned for help so Chaps was going to come to the field to help load, but SAWMAN said both of us were needed. Indeed it took all 3 of us to drag and load him. It's been dressed and cut up and distributed to a family that can use the meat. I had a cloth tape measure with me, 46" long. With effort, snugging up on the tape, he read 46" which calculates to 262 pounds, and I believe it. It looks sorta gray in the top pic, but was actually black. Lots of fat in that porker. The bullet didn't make it through to the other side. Its "shield" felt like you were tapping a rock. I'm not posting any pics of SAWMAN with the hog, as both were wearing black, and we don't want anyone confused as to which is SAWMAN and which is the hog!

DSCN2674.JPG
    DSCN2679.JPG
    IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg

Interesting in that I found an older post from SAWMAN saying he someday wanted to be in the situation where he could look over a field, see hogs at a longer distance, and stalk them at night...well, he got his wish.

Attachments

• DSCN2674.JPG
      DSCN2674.JPG
      171.2 KB · Views: 149
    • DSCN2679.JPG
      DSCN2679.JPG
      178.3 KB · Views: 151
    • IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
      IMG_20141122_021040_133.jpg
      675.8 KB · Views: 157
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Firstly .... lets be clear .... I am extremely jealous of the hog as far as the looks go.

The stalking part is the way the Texas boys do it. I have never done it before unless it is down a small woods road. This is waaaaaaay mo-bedda/mo-fun'er.

For the people that like to discuss the hogs plate and weather this or that is enough gun. You should have felt this guys. Last night I made the statement that if knowing I had to hit this guy square on the plate,using a 223/5.56,I would opt for a M855. OR ... a Barnes solid copper designed bullet. My 120gr Hornady SST slipped in just in back of the plate. Had it struck the plate square ........ who knows. (??????)

As far as the 6.8 goes,a Barnes 95gr TTSX or the Barnes 110gr TSX would be a good choice. As probably would be a Accubond.

For those of you that use a 300BLK ..........?......... well ....... it would probably just bounce off. :laugh: --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    IMG_9568.jpg
    Got a text msg that the bullet was found in the opposite side shoulder as the hog was being butchered. I don't have the bullet, so the weight of it is unknown at this time. It was a 6.8 120gr Hornady SST bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_9568.jpg
      IMG_9568.jpg
      259.1 KB · Views: 111

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To add to the pic that Daezee most kindly posted and that Chaps diligently dug around for -->The Bullet started out as a Hornady 120gr SST in 6.8(.277")caliber. After it disappointingly came apart(thanks Hornady for a great "varmint" bullet) it now weighs 91.5grs. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Top Bottom