• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So...Just after one of the -15 days here I developed a pop/ping in the engine after a minute or two of start up. I'm getting Error Codes P0300/P0302. Tonight, I should get time to pull the plugs and check the coils.

Anyone else have any hints?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I guess you did this? a mis fire on #2 cylinder. First thing to do is reset and see if it happens again

P0300 Diagnostic Code - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    Basically this means that the the car's computer has detected that not all of the engine's cylinders are firing properly.

A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

Symptoms may include:
    the engine may be harder to start
    the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
    other symptoms may also be present

Causes: A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
    Faulty spark plugs or wires
    Faulty coil (pack)
    Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    Faulty fuel injector(s)
    Burned exhaust valve
    Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
    Faulty camshaft position sensor
    Defective computer

Possible Solutions:
    * If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeep are notorious about vacuum leaks. Check all vacuum hoses for cracks, even check the one under the vehicle that run from the engine to the fuel tank. P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire check coils and spark plugs before you go to vacuum leaks. I am an ASE certified mechanic so I am not guessing, just trying to help.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jeep are notorious about vacuum leaks. Check all vacuum hoses for cracks, even check the one under the vehicle that run from the engine to the fuel tank. P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire check coils and spark plugs before you go to vacuum leaks. I am an ASE certified mechanic so I am not guessing, just trying to help.

If you're trying to help, what exactly is the storm trooper in your sig trying to do?

BeanBry

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely change your plugs, look at cylinder #2 plug. I had a P0302 for my 12 JKUR, but that is for a faulty head (TSB). After you change plugs and check hoses/connections, disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset codes or if you have a handheld tuner reset them. If code comes back move on to bigger stuff.

This space intentionally left blank

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

No issues brother...that is why I posted up for discussion. Any help counts. It dried up a little today. I was gonna pull the plugs and then swap the coil to another cylnder to see the code follows. I Wish I was driving when it happened, but it was my wife. It was cold as heck that day and she called me and said as she left the store she noticed it.

I am going to be relieved and pissed at the same time if it is the plugs...Before I swapped Jeeps with my Daughter (I gave her the wrangler..I know...) She took it in and got the plugs, fuel fliter, Fuel pump, and water pump replaced. I trust the guy that did the fuel and water pumps....I dunno who she had do the plugs and filter. It made the drive from Athens, ga to Alaska without issue.

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Okay...So. I disconnected the battery, pulled the coil, pulled the plug. The plug was a bit fouled. I cleaned it up, made sure the pack was clean on the inside, reassembled everything, and connected the battery.

Started the Jeep

It smells a little rich, but. At idle, the tick/pop has gone away. The CEL cleared. When I rev the engine while in park, the sound appears, gets real fast, and then goes away quickly at 2500 RPM. I didn't take it over 27500.

When the sound came on while giving gas, I could feel it in the pedal...I could have imaged it, but I swear I did.

The CEL is still off, and there are no codes....I am gonna change all six plugs for SnG.

Does anyone know if I should replace the packs too?

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hope you are not having some of the oiling issues associated with the liberty's I have heard of, can't remember the year model but they had issues with oil draing from the heads

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is what feared looking at the plug....

I am hoping to convince the wife to trade this bad boy in before we leave here. It has had some good years, Leaving it with my dad while I was stationed in Europe might have been a bad thing. For a guy that worked through high school as a mechanic, and part of his adult life, he takes crappy care of cars.

Hindsight is I am glad I decided to give my daughter the Wrangler...Though it hurt...hurt a lot...I know she has something reliable until she gets out of school...

Latest posts

Top Bottom