• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppa6

40 Watt Phased Plasma Rifle
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never really had a handgun of my own. But I have shot a plethora of them. So, what do you all think about what I have narrowed my choices down to.

1. XD-M
    2. Glock 23
    3. your Shooty

Thanks!

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like Glocks and I like the XD/XDMs. I personally chose 9mm & 45 ACP and sold off all of my 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 10mm pistols...
    G23s have the highest incidence of Ka-Booms.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never really had a handgun of my own. But I have shot a plethora of them. So, what do you all think about what I have narrowed my choices down to.

1. XD-M
    2. Glock 23
    3. your Shooty

Thanks!

I have a Glock 23 and love it. Have you also looked at the M&Ps, they feel and shoot nice also.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just picked up my first M&P, fits my hand GREAT but the trigger leaves something to be desired. The XDM is very nice too, not as ergonomically friendly, but a fantastic trigger. You can't really go wrong given your narrowed options.

If you haven't tried a Sig 226, I'd recommend it, my blackwater 226 is arguably my favorite pistol.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's all personal preference they both are great pistols you can't go wrong with either one, go handle both of them which one feels best in your hand and also dry fire it a few times to get a feel for which trigger you like better. I have owned a full size XD 45acp traded it in on a Glock 17, I like the Glock better but some people don't like the grip angle. Like I said most of the determining factor is how it feels in your hand. Keep us posted on which one you choose.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing people say is they like the XDM grip better & I thought I did to.

It feels better when I hold the gun in one hand but I pretty much never shoot one handed and I prefer the way my clock feels when I shoot with both hands.

I think the glock is simpler to clean & do a complete breakdown on. The xdm is not much more difficult but the clock is easier.

Metal finish on glock is much more scratch resistant then XDM.

Looks go to XDM but for me clock wins out overall.

Never had a sig but I prefer striker fire with no safeties.

Last edited:

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never been a fan of the plastic fantastic. The old school part of me likes the 1911 because it just works and it fits like a glove. The new school part of me loves my Witness, because it just works and fits like a custom made glove. It's also single/double action with a safety that'll click on in any condition and a firing pin block. It's also the most accurate .45 I've ever handled.
    The practical side of me carries a Keltec P-11.. No safety, accurate enough at self defense distances, not as bulky as a Glock or the Witness and it has last round hold open, which a lot of the smaller 9's seem to be missing for some odd reason.
    The geek side of me prefers a phased plasma rifle in the 10 megawatt range.... But they're expensive and hard to find.

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

1. XD-M
    2. Glock 23
    3. your Shooty

Thanks!

Are you military, law enforcement or have family that is ? If so, you can get a deal with the discounts they offer on Glock or M&P.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll tell you this much, I had a long list of pistols to buy, and I bought about 2/3 of them. When I got to buying my glock, I scratched the rest of the list and penciled in more glocks. I love everything about them, for me the g22 feels like a dream in my hand. Not to mention the reliability is probably going to be the best you'll ever get out of an auto pistol

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll tell you this much, I had a long list of pistols to buy, and I bought about 2/3 of them. When I got to buying my glock, I scratched the rest of the list and penciled in more glocks. I love everything about them, for me the g22 feels like a dream in my hand. Not to mention the reliability is probably going to be the best you'll ever get out of an auto pistol

I agree I finally got my first Glock (G17) after much resistance now I want Glock 26 for my next pistol.

steponapoptop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have the G22 and loved it so much I grabbed the G27 the other day. My wife got the G19 as her first gun and shot it yesterday. She's hooked too. I recently got the 9mm conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm through my 40. That's a nice option to have in my opinion. Good luck to you!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One more thing the to consider is the finish on the slide, glock's finish is superior to the m&p and xdm

From some brief reading, it seems that the tennifer treatment process is similar to the melonite treatment process, I don't speak chemistry-ese though so I might be wrong on that.

Tennifer and Melonite are trade names for firearm finishing processes that involve salt bath nitriding. The heart of the matter is probably licensing rights rather than technology. I do not have any special inside information, but I believe that Glock will not let the supplier license the Tennifer name to any other firearms manufacturer; therefore, other firearms manufacturers are using a similar finish but from other chemical suppliers or under different tradenames.

Historically, firearm parts were black oxided, which is an oxidation process which is only a few millionths of an inch thick, does not offer much corrosion resistance, and doesn't alter the underlying steel. Salt bath nitriding is a case hardening process that leaves a fairly thick, corrosion resistant, hard surface.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All I know is my 3 week old XDM had two marks one a scratch on the slide, while my 15 year old glock has no scratches. (not a carry gun) It does have some color change light vs dark from wear but no where does metal show threw.

XDMs are real nice though & alot of this is just personal preference.

I will add my little Kahar impresses me but I have yet to shoot it so that is just from the feel of it.

Last edited:

Choppa6

40 Watt Phased Plasma Rifle
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Terminator reference is frikkin awesome! I have a few weeks before the $$ is in order, but I am leanin toward the Glock. But it is still early.

Top Bottom