Who Has Shot Hard Cast in Their Glock 20?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Yeh, I’m really pondering the leather holster.
    Diamond D said it’s fine around water but this is not a cheap holster.
    I will be wading in chest waders but I wouldn’t think I would be in water much about my knees.
    All the casting though is bound to get some drips, drops and splashing on it.
    You will sweat in those waders, trust me!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    You will sweat in those waders, trust me!

I’ve never worn waders. The two guys I’m going with are taking their own and that was initially what I was planning and was told to buy the neoprene ones because the river is very cold.
    Then I went and looked at some at Academy. My gosh, they would take up half my suitcase as well as half the weight restriction.
    Heck, I figure a handgun, case and ammo will add 10 lbs and the limit is 50 lbs.
    In fact I was just comparing the weight of different cases. I really like the Pelican Vault but it’s heavy. There’s one called an Eylar that’s over a pound lighter. Now, whether that translates into less quality, I don’t know.
    I can rent waders for $10 a day so that’s what I’m going to do.

Papa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve never worn waders. The two guys I’m going with are taking their own and that was initially what I was planning and was told to buy the neoprene ones because the river is very cold.
    Then I went and looked at some at Academy. My gosh, they would take up half my suitcase as well as half the weight restriction.
    Heck, I figure a handgun, case and ammo will add 10 lbs and the limit is 50 lbs.
    In fact I was just comparing the weight of different cases. I really like the Pelican Vault but it’s heavy. There’s one called an Eylar that’s over a pound lighter. Now, whether that translates into less quality, I don’t know.
    I can rent waders for $10 a day so that’s what I’m going to do.
    Neoprene is hard to get into and out of, I have used Simms G3 waders for 10 years just wear a base layer of under armor or thermal underwear and wool socks. as long as they don't leak you will be ok. I do not know where you will be fishing, but we fish about 450 miles north of Anchorage in the Yukon drainage and the water is in the mid to high 30's in some of the areas we fish.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Neoprene is hard to get into and out of, I have used Simms G3 waders for 10 years just wear a base layer of under armor or thermal underwear and wool socks. as long as they don't leak you will be ok. I do not know where you will be fishing, but we fish about 450 miles north of Anchorage in the Yukon drainage and the water is in the mid to high 30's in some of the areas we fish.

You fish a lot further north. We will be at Yakutat, which is kinda between Juneau and Anchorage.

Papa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You fish a lot further north. We will be at Yakutat, which is kinda between Juneau and Anchorage.
    We stopped in Yakutat one time on a return trip on Alaska Ferry. Left in July drove to Anchorage spent several weeks in fishing lodges, left Septtember 11, put the truck on the ferry and sailed to Bellingham Washington and drove back to Florida Kind of a Retirement/Vacation.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No matter how you try, your waders are going to end up taking in water. It's going to settle at your feet, and while wool socks help, pick up a couple of pairs of knee high nylons to go under those wool socks. Cold wet feet, just like a pebble in a hikers shoe, tend to be one of the unhappiest memories of such excursions. JMHO. YMMV. Of course those with deep pockets can afford: https://www.sealskinzusa.com/products/waterproof-cold-weather-mid-length-sock 3 pair, one pair on your feet, 1 drying, 1 for tommarrow mourning. Gives the socks two days off for every one worked. It's an Old Military Dogma. Works with undergarments also. JMHO YMMV.

Last edited:

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It doesn't help. When lead builds up it fills the grooves first then the pressure rises. If it's to high..boom.
    It is very rare and requires a lot of buildup that comes from soft lead and no cleaning.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    All the info out there is so confusing, I just fired off an email to Glock.
    I just read the paragraph that I posted below. Does that mean hardcast is fine to use in a Gen 5?
    Also the short frame (SF) designation is confusing. I read one thing that said the Gen 5 has the same grip dimensions as the pre-gen5 SF models.
    We will see what Glock says.

Now, if you plan on shooting a lot, you may eventually want to reload your own ammo and use cast lead bullets to save money. In this case, go with the gen 5 because Glock puts their new Marksman barrel in the gen 5 and it is safe to use with cast lead bullets. The gen 4 uses the traditional polygonal rifling barrel which can have pressure problems if lead is fired through it. The new marksman barrel is also slightly more accurate but not enough for the average shooter to notice.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Owning one of the Original Glock 21SF I can shed a little light. The distance from back strap to trigger (aka LOP on a sidearm) was decreased to allow shooters with smaller hands a better grasp. When latter models were made the shorter back strap to trigger distance was incorporated and grip extensions became available to increase the back strap to trigger distance for those with larger hands. The SF (Short Frame) or shorter back strap to trigger distance allowed more folks to fit Glocks, and it was far more appealing to add back strap extensions to fit more customers more readily. Goggle the results from the Smyrna GA PD Glock 21SF Initial Issue. No need to take my word. YMMV. Or not!

Last edited:

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The main problem I see with using FMJ for bear lies in factory ammo. The companies who make hardcast “bear loads” for 10mm load to full power. You’d be hard pressed to find factory FMJ loaded for anything but target shooting, in which case you’re not getting that Grizzly power you’re looking at the ten for in the first place. IMO your best bet is going to be a different brand 10 with traditional rifling (M&P, XDM, 1911, Tanfoglio Witness) or a nice 3” 44 Mag. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Good point, plus I’ve read that FMJ are actually soft lead on the inside while hardcast is hard all the way through.
    I hope to get a reply to my email from Glock tomorrow concerning the new barrels on the Gen 5 and if they are indeed hard cast friendly.
    I’m also interested in learning more about the Federal Premium clad ammo posted above.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Good point, plus I’ve read that FMJ are actually soft lead on the inside while hardcast is hard all the way through.
    I hope to get a reply to my email from Glock tomorrow concerning the new barrels on the Gen 5 and if they are indeed hard cast friendly.
    I’m also interested in learning more about the Federal Premium clad ammo posted above.
    I don't think the g5 barrels would work on g2->4??

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Also need a handgun/ rifle hunter to weigh in on this. Fmj business. I do know of a 2 deer kill using fmj by an idiot. 308. Went thru both.

Yeah obviously a .308 is a much different beast than a handgun. Harder to get in your fishing holster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sure am glad I have a couple of 4 inch 44 Mag revolvers for woods use. This seems like a lot of trouble to make a sidearm work for a purpose that it wasn't intended for. JMHO YMMV. It's a good thing I like S&W L-Frames, I've got no worries with a 5 shot Model 69 that fits into any L-Frame Rig. Wonder how fast an enraged Kodiak covers 15 yards? About 15 yards a second. It takes a lot of training to get off 6 well placed shots in 1 second. Missed shots don't make much difference. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/bear-defense-from-the-professionals/

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sure am glad I have a couple of 4 inch 44 Mag revolvers for woods use. This seems like a lot of trouble to make a sidearm work for a purpose that it wasn't intended for. JMHO YMMV. It's a good thing I like S&W L-Frames, I've got no worries with a 5 shot Model 69 that fits into any L-Frame Rig. Wonder how fast an enraged Kodiak covers 15 yards? About 15 yards a second. It takes a lot of training to get off 6 well placed shots in 1 second. Missed shots don't make much difference. https://www.americanhunter.org/content/bear-defense-from-the-professionals/

Just as a test, I took my S&W 629 .44 (6” barrel) and my Glock 19 to the range Friday.
    Yes, the 19 is a 9mm but it’s the closest comparison to a 10mm that I have.
    Everything I’ve read said that the majority of people can shoot a big auto faster and usually more accurately than a big revolver. I found that’s true. I was much faster getting the Glock back on target.
    A couple of years ago, the guy I’m going with noticed a bear coming up behind his buddy that his buddy did not see. He fired a shot into the ground and the bear took off.
    I would feel a lot more comfortable doing that knowing that I’ve got 15 more shots instead of 5.
    Hopefully this is just all a mental exercise and I won’t even see a bear.

Top Bottom