• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got an opportunity to go on a 5 day Elk hunt up in Washington State. Doubt my suppressed 300blk is gonna handle to long range shots!lol I had a bolt gun in 30-06. Also had one in 270. Should I go with another 30-06? Keep in mind, if it ain't a handgun for competition or a 5.56 AR, I don't know shit about hunting calibers! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am not much of a hunter but have quite a few friends that do. If he is buying a rifle just for this trip I would not look past some of the other "magnum" calibers. Just say 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 300 short mag etc. Especially if a deal on a used one comes along. What do you guys think about that? I know the ammo cost more but for just one trip it would not phase me in the least.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    06 will take anything in north America with the proper loads and bullet weights....and cheaper to shoot

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got an opportunity to go on a 5 day Elk hunt up in Washington State. Doubt my suppressed 300blk is gonna handle to long range shots!lol I had a bolt gun in 30-06. Also had one in 270. Should I go with another 30-06? Keep in mind, if it ain't a handgun for competition or a 5.56 AR, I don't know shit about hunting calibers! Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a 700 sendaro in 300 RUM/ brake/Timney / night force nsx. 5.5 x 22 x 50. some 200 grain burgers are real nasty medium to large north American game out to plus / 1000yrds. draw backs , heavy as hell. what ranges and terrain are your hunt? the 06 will do the deed out to 400 easily.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What caliber ?? Just like chamberings,there are quite a few to choose from.
    As asked above,what will your suspected ranges be. Could be,a 45-70 might do.
    Will the elk be called to you in the thick conifer ?? Will you have a tag for any other animal ??
    You can borrow my 416Rigby. ---SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having hunted Wapiti (Ghost Deer) in Idaho for a few decades and seen ant talked guns in camp and trail, I'll toss this out. There are three considerations:

A. Terrain. If the area has been scouted you will know if your going to be in the Wood or open. This in turn drives caliber and sights.
    B. In the Woods, its hard to beat a Short, handy rifle with Iron sights though red dots with zero magnification are becoming popular but they are not seemless during transition to the sight and do cut some peripheral vision. 45.70, .308 and 30.06 have more then adequate Elk terminal ballistics at Woods Range.
    C. On the open Plain, mountain/valley your dealing with distance: ballistically and optically restricted by shooting ability and the firearm/optics accuracy. Realistically, if a persons shooting ability is maxed out at 400 yards they don't meed a mega magnification scope 3X9 or 4X12 will work fine. A flat shooting cartridge is always desired but you MUST have enough bullet and velocity at distance to do the job.
    You still see the occasional .308 on the hillThe .270 is popular but light bullet, 30.06 and 7mm Mag were the most popular for decades but the 30 magnum trend in all variants has edge them out. 30 mags are superior if you can shoot them well (no flinch & quick follow up shots). 30 mags are harder to find ammo for in a pinch. I always took 60 rounds to camp and carried 25. Loose your only box of ammo and your done! The magnums can also destroy a lot of meat at close ranges. Carry a range finder or bino's. Scanning with rifle/scope will wear you out and other hunters don't like getting spotted that way.

Elk is a tough animal. Hide is thick, as is muscle mass. Bullet needs to stay together, choose wisely. Study Elk anatomy. Many hunters take neck shots but I don't care for them. They can still move fast and far with a broken shoulder buy not broken hip/flank. Pack out will take 4-6 deer game bags. Take orange trail marker ribbon, also wrap the rack as you come out so YOU don't get targeted! Ax and hammer to split spine if you quarter not de-bone.

If your going to be in a mixed bag of terrain, two rifes setups may be desired but may not be practical. On one gun: too much gun is better then too little, on optics less is better then too much. Look at the "Safari Sling". Supports rifle in low ready position. If you get it, go to auto parts store and get a fleece sholder belt pad. If you decide to go the magnum route, send me a PM, I might be able to help you out. Happy hunting!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right now it is six in one hand half dozen in the other. I know my father has shot all his elk with a .270 from remington corelockts to trophy bonded bear claws. .270 I would use a 140gr bonded bullet like Accubond, Partition, Interbond, Swift Scirocco. In 30-06 a good 165gr or 180gr in the same choices will do just fine. Just practice on your part.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right now it is six in one hand half dozen in the other. I know my father has shot all his elk with a .270 from remington corelockts to trophy bonded bear claws. .270 I would use a 140gr bonded bullet like Accubond, Partition, Interbond, Swift Scirocco. In 30-06 a good 165gr or 180gr in the same choices will do just fine. Just practice on your part.
    Ever shot with john ? ....he's a jedi master.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Elk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a Remington 700 7mag that has taken a couple Elk that I don't need. If you would like to go that route I'll throw in a couple boxes of ammo for you.

How are you getting to your hunt spots? Vehicle drop off, horse back, hiking...

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remington 870 with a slug from a helicopter.

I have been on several hunts. Same as deer hunting- if you're not use to long-range shots then kinda pissing in the wind. I pefer dogs and a shotgun.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the strain is to much for you, I would be willing to fill in for you and bring you back a detail report,

Always looking at bigger is better, but your 30-06 is an ok weapon to take for your hunt :rockon:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for more input, guys. As of now, I know very little about the hunt. Not sure of the terrain. Not sure of the distances we'll encounter. Don't know how we're getting to the hunting area. I just know I ain't gonna pass up an opportunity like this.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    While -06 will work, 300 WinMag or WSM is better. Your can might even be rated for one of those. If so, that's what I'd go with. Just take your time (as challenging as that is), and don't flinch. Congrats! Sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for more input, guys. As of now, I know very little about the hunt. Not sure of the terrain. Not sure of the distances we'll encounter. Don't know how we're getting to the hunting area. I just know I ain't gonna pass up an opportunity like this.

What part of Washington state?

If you have never been hiking them mountains it will SUCK if you are not in shape.... SUCK!!!! And I am not talking about the average gym goer shape that lifts weights here and there and stays on their phone in the gym. You are going from sea level probably to at least 5,000 feet. This summer I went from sea level to 11,000 feet in 4 days and the hike was 6 miles started at 7,000 feet give or take a few hundred and top at 11,000 feet just to go trout fishing and I had a 65 lb pack. It would be safe to assume that you will be walking at least through hill country and putting some miles on your feet. Also get a nice pair of boots and start walking in them NOW!!!

(Don't know you just speaking in general)
    I'm getting ready for an archery elk hunt next year and I am a gym rat but having a few experiences in those mountains, I will would stick to the barbell and stair master. Do compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, over head press (military press), bent rows, upright rows, and bench.... and yes I said squats lots and lots of squats... You will thank me. Then get on the stair master. Do like 50 flights of stairs then the following week work up another 10 flights....

Deadlifts, bent rows, over head press and upright rows will help when you have to pick up the elk meat to pack it out and will help with carrying a pack all day, and stabilizing yourself walking up a mountain.
    Squats front and back squats (high reps) and stair master will help with building leg endurance, lower back, hip flexors, core, and lung endurance.
    Bench press will help you to be able to push off stuff as you are packing out the animal if you have to push yourself off a rock etc.

Get some high altitude pills to it will help so you do not get high altitude sickness.... I used them when I went skiing in CO.
    Here is some:
    http://wildernessathlete.com/products/altitude-advantage
    https://getmtnops.com/product/ascent/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom