• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    finished up another holster for Ryan. Red carbon fiber for a 1911....
    IMG_20150417_164751127.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150417_164751127.jpg
      IMG_20150417_164751127.jpg
      320.5 KB · Views: 252

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The rain cleared up this afternoon, so I swung by the range on the way home and ran a couple magazines through the shadow. 100% function, so I'll probably shoot it tomorrow at the USPSA match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The rain cleared up this afternoon, so I swung by the range on the way home and ran a couple magazines through the shadow. 100% function, so I'll probably shoot it tomorrow at the USPSA match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well the match just got postponed until next weekend, which means I won't be able to make it. At least now I know the Shadow functions. Now I need to take it back apart and polish the internals.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up some 223 for tomorrow..and remembered why I don't shoot rifles as I checked out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Picked up another Colt AR this evening. It is a Colt AR15 A2 Sporter II (circa 1986-89).

This makes a great addition to the Colt part of my AR collection.

Damn man! How many now? Like 300!!!

Also didn't forget about the rubber duck pics. I ended up having to go to vortex springs Friday to privide medical support for hard hat diving. Will get them hopefully Monday!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Damn man! How many now? Like 300!!!

Also didn't forget about the rubber duck pics. I ended up having to go to vortex springs Friday to privide medical support for hard hat diving. Will get them hopefully Monday!

No worries Doc. Just whenever you can. BTW, I only have 35 ARs of which 34 are AR15s.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got my Savage FV-SR installed in my Boyd's Tacticool stock w/ DIP bottom metal and Minox ZV-3 3-9x50 scope installed. I have yet to shoot it, but it looks good and should make a fantastic suppressor host.

IMG_7256_zpsyrjnh6q4.jpg

I've also been spending way too much quality time with the "Jungle Ready" Rem 700. I got the barreled action all stripped down to the bluing (which is in surprisingly good shape) and now I'm working on the stock. It's a shame that someone painted over such a pretty Monte Carlo stock. Once I get it stripped completely down, I'm going to spray a few coats of glossy clear back on it.

IMG_7273_zps3kc3i4rn.jpg

IMG_7300_zpshy7qeara.jpg

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I do not know that I would clear it. You may want to just rub some oil into it. That will protect it and allow the natural sheen of the wood to remain. Just my thoughts.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I do not know that I would clear it. You may want to just rub some oil into it. That will protect it and allow the natural sheen of the wood to remain. Just my thoughts.

Is there a reason for oil instead of clear? Once I get it done, it's going up for sale and I figured that clear would be more durable than anything else. I'm a fan of matte finishes, but I think the gloss clear would match the bluing of the barrel and action better.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Is there a reason for oil instead of clear? Once I get it done, it's going up for sale and I figured that clear would be more durable than anything else. I'm a fan of matte finishes, but I think the gloss clear would match the bluing of the barrel and action better.

The oil gives the wood a rich and natural finish and protects it as well. Anything you spray on the wood can eventually begin to wear off and/or discolor. When I cleaned up the stock on my Garand a few years back, I rubbed wood oil into the stock and handguards to keep the wood's natural look and to keep the wood moisturized. To me, it is a better choice.

You have to remember that rifles with high gloss finished had them applied by the factory. It takes properly applying the right kind of clear acrylic, lacquer, or varnish to get that look. Since you are going to be selling it, I would not bother spraying a clear on it. Just give it a good rubbed-in coat of oil and sell it. The buyer can always have it professionally finished if they choose.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom