• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious what brought everyone to get into firearms. My dad worked at Hornady when we lived in Nebraska and I worked at the local gun range there starting at 12-13 years old. Went to numerous regional shooting competitions and went along hunting too. :)

I've always wondered if there were competitions (handguns) around here...are there?

Your turn!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Back in the 60's we hunted alot, from the time we could hold a weapon, we were shooting. Kinda instilled/grew in me and my brothers I guess.
    But a good indoor and outdoor competition range would be great. Don't know if the economy could sustain one right now tho. :(

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up a $149.00 mossberg 12 ga for home defense after Ivan for peace of mind.

I am not exactly sure of what happened after that, but another 50 guns later and I am and have been completely hooked :D

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember shooting a 22 w/ my grandpaw in VA when I went up there to visit. My ole man had a few guns but never took the time to show me and shoot w/ me. When I got to be 14-15 I had a few friends hunt and went with them w/ an old 870. My 1st gun I ever bought was a Moss. 500 at a gun show at the Shrine Temple. Funny story that it was a Sunday and I wanted to go hunting but my ole man wouldn't let me since it was Sunday!!! I was like WHAT???? You can hunt on Sunday but he said nope, it's illegal!!! We are from VA and I reckon it was illegal there. He finally said I could go hunting but I was not using the 870 I had been using!!! So just happened that there was a gun show at the Shrine Temple and I went and bought the 500 and hunted that day. To this day he still thinks it's illegal to hunt on Sundays!!! Been collecting ever since!!!

Rebuilt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hunting with my grand father as a kid/teen. Then in high school i joined in with the Explorer program with the Penscola Police (think rotc). Then turned 21 and bought first .45. Went from there.

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooting with my dad. Then as I got older I got my first 10/22. After that I was hooked.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My first "gun" was a Daisy 99 lever action BB rifle. The birds in the backyard were never safe with me around. That was when I was probably about 5 or so. That moved on to squirrel hunting with a H&R single barrel 20 gauge, then dove hunting, then on the deer and so on. I shot IMSA for several years at Hurlburt with the Eglin Rod and Gun Club when I was a teenager. Then I became old enough to start buying my own guns and went absolutely crazy. It was something that my Dad and I always had to talk about. It has been a great bonding experience for my Dad and I and I wouldn't change it for anything.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It sounds like everyone got an early start, I didn't even fire a gun until I was 24, good thing, I would probably be buried in them by now :D.

I did have a 10 pump daisy with a primitive red dot scope on it that I chopped the barrel down on when I was about 13 though... Thinking about it I guess that was a precursor for my NFA addiction..

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I actually didn't get into guns until I was 25. I wanted to get one for personal protection, and then I think in a matter of 12 months, I had 12 more guns. It got out of control way too quickly.

T

tinman

6 months ago. Decided that we needed something in the house, also have (had) some odd tenants, and some guys looked at me funny one evening whilst I was out photographing something. But of course, gun comes out most weekends now for a bit of time at the range! Thoroughly enjoying the new interest.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6 months ago. Decided that we needed something in the house, also have (had) some odd tenants, and some guys looked at me funny one evening whilst I was out photographing something. But of course, gun comes out most weekends now for a bit of time at the range! Thoroughly enjoying the new interest.

That is how it starts... beware it is a sickness.

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I used to go target shooting with my uncle Bud at 8 with an old Remington Scoremaster and that was it. I still have the Remington and a few others now.

Ted

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right now is the least I have ever had,been selling alot,tring to consolodate calibers,and took an unexpected financial hit recently....down to five on hand,a couple more on their way to me..

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It is amazing how the guns accumulate before your very eyes. Some call it strange, but nobody ever went in the woods and brought back dinner with a stamp or a baseball card. Of course, I have seen some stamps and baseball cards go for a million or so dollars, but still not worth it to me. Guns just serve too many purposes in my book. It is a great way to teach a young one responsibility and I wouldn't have changed the way I grew up with them for anything. It is something that my wife and I can share now and my Dad and I still enjoy showing off our latest acquisition and project. I have an M1 carbine that I have been working on for about 3 months now. I am bringing it home with me this weekend to show off to the old man. Can't wait for him to see it and what I have done to it.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is amazing how the guns accumulate before your very eyes. Some call it strange, but nobody ever went in the woods and brought back dinner with a stamp or a baseball card. Of course, I have seen some stamps and baseball cards go for a million or so dollars, but still not worth it to me. Guns just serve too many purposes in my book. It is a great way to teach a young one responsibility and I wouldn't have changed the way I grew up with them for anything. It is something that my wife and I can share now and my Dad and I still enjoy showing off our latest acquisition and project. I have an M1 carbine that I have been working on for about 3 months now. I am bringing it home with me this weekend to show off to the old man. Can't wait for him to see it and what I have done to it.

I would love to have a project like that one day :) My dad would be so proud!

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Grew up in Pa. Everyone in the mountains learned very early in life to shoot. Went to a 1,000 yd range and was hooked. Then into reloading. Switched to bow, pistol and black powder hunting long before it became popular and never looked back.

RJ

mOOSE007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Dad introduced me to hunting when I was 10 years old. I started out my son and daughter at 2 years old. I know that's young but I held the rifle and they pulled the trigger. Now my 20 year old son always wants me to buy him a gun everytime we go to the gun show.

God Bless

Moose

Top Bottom