• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Any type of moisture product or just lock and store?
    All like new 50 cal cans. Seals are still chalky from the factory

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any type of moisture product or just lock and store?
    All like new 50 cal cans. Seals are still chalky from the factory
    The desiccant packs on Amazon arent bad. They're cheap too. I also hang onto the little silica packets that come in a bunch of other things as well. A pack of 300 desiccant things are like less than 10.00 on Amazon. I change them out every now and then, just when I happen to think about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    some of my relatives names end in eaux...they might consider that sacrilege :cool:

Reactions: FLT

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Here's a little experiment I tried with the vacuum sealer. Fail. Didn't seem like there was a hole in the bag, wondering if it pulled air from the shells?? American eagle 50gr hp.

Attachments

• 20200623_162509.jpg
      20200623_162509.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 261
    • 20200623_162734.jpg
      20200623_162734.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 263
    • 20200624_130852.jpg
      20200624_130852.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 270

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It did. Also probably pulled some powder thru the empty primer pocket after pulling the primer.
    YOUR SO SILLY !! --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's a little experiment I tried with the vacuum sealer. Fail. Didn't seem like there was a hole in the bag, wondering if it pulled air from the shells?? American eagle 50gr hp.
    Rifle powders often contain solvents. Maybe if the bullet and primers are not well sealed during the reloading process some off-gassing might occur. That is a guess on my part.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Y’all are way over thinking this , there’s a very small hole in the bag somewhere. ;) :)

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I always fill mine inside the house and let them sit inside open for a couple days before closing them. My thought is that is the most conditioned air and then I can store them where ever I want

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I've often wondered if a man could make a business out of storing guns and ammo aka private armory offering
    cleaning and safely storing weapons and ammo.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've often wondered if a man could make a business out of storing guns and ammo aka private armory offering
    cleaning and safely storing weapons and ammo.

The type of people who would pay for that "service" probably don't like guns AND live in places that don't have a bunch of gun-owners AND the unfortunate souls who do live there with guns would never trust anyone else to store (or be able to report to Auntie Pelosi the existence of) their weapons.

In the free states, I can't imagine you'd have enough regular gun owners who would pay rent for storing their weapons off-site, entrusted to someone else's access (think parking garage attendants in Ferris Bueller's Day Off), AND I doubt you'd make enough money to cover the massive insurance bill, security system requirements, and local/state/federal regulations since it's a public business.

Here's one data point for you: personally, I would never be a customer at a place like that.

As for the OP's question, I have rechargeable desiccant packs in my ammo cans. The tyvek bag type that are slightly bigger than the size of a deck of cards. Cook in an oven on low heat for a few hours to recharge (details are on the bag; can't remember).

I doubt my exact ones are sold anymore, but I'm sure you could find a bunch of options for your needs with some Google-fu.

One similar example:

Amazon product ASIN B0781BN1BZ
    They are rechargeable in a microwave apparently, but one reviewer thinks it killed his microwave, so he uses an oven. (?) Again, its not exactly what I use, but similar.

If/when mine feel less like a new dollar bill and more like a dollar bill that was washed in your clothes, then it's time to recharge. Stored inside in the a/c, I haven't had to recharge some in a very long time, depending on how often you open the can. I keep some in the safes, too.

Whatever you do, and this is SUPER IMPORTANT:
    Keep these AWAY from ANY pets.

As in, lock them away like you'd lock up drugs from kids.

Desiccant will cause a horrible death, and there's not much a vet can do to "reverse" the effects. This stuff is horrible if ingested. Whenever we buy something we check it for desiccant packs like a prison guard searching for contraband. The packs I put in a safe are in another bag (like a laundry "delicates" bag or a Crown bag), something to make it obvious if it falls to the ground, so it doesn't get overlooked and available for the dogs to find.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The type of people who would pay for that "service" probably don't like guns AND live in places that don't have a bunch of gun-owners AND the unfortunate souls who do live there with guns would never trust anyone else to store (or be able to report to Auntie Pelosi the existence of) their weapons.

In the free states, I can't imagine you'd have enough regular gun owners who would pay rent for storing their weapons off-site, entrusted to someone else's access (think parking garage attendants in Ferris Bueller's Day Off), AND I doubt you'd make enough money to cover the massive insurance bill, security system requirements, and local/state/federal regulations since it's a public business.

Here's one data point for you: personally, I would never be a customer at a place like that.

As for the OP's question, I have rechargeable desiccant packs in my ammo cans. The tyvek bag type that are slightly bigger than the size of a deck of cards. Cook in an oven on low heat for a few hours to recharge (details are on the bag; can't remember).

I doubt my exact ones are sold anymore, but I'm sure you could find a bunch of options for your needs with some Google-fu.

One similar example:

Amazon product ASIN B0781BN1BZ
    They are rechargeable in a microwave apparently, but one reviewer thinks it killed his microwave, so he uses an oven. (?) Again, its not exactly what I use, but similar.

If/when mine feel less like a new dollar bill and more like a dollar bill that was washed in your clothes, then it's time to recharge. Stored inside in the a/c, I haven't had to recharge some in a very long time, depending on how often you open the can. I keep some in the safes, too.

Whatever you do, and this is SUPER IMPORTANT:
    Keep these AWAY from ANY pets.

As in, lock them away like you'd lock up drugs from kids.

Desiccant will cause a horrible death, and there's not much a vet can do to "reverse" the effects. This stuff is horrible if ingested. Whenever we buy something we check it for desiccant packs like a prison guard searching for contraband. The packs I put in a safe are in another bag (like a laundry "delicates" bag or a Crown bag), something to make it obvious if it falls to the ground, so it doesn't get overlooked and available for the dogs to find.
    The bit on toxicity of desiccant, the most valuable thing in the whole thread and I will keep my eyes open for any that I have left around. Thanks for that advice.
    The knuckle head below will swallow any thing and has the vet operation abdominal scars to prove it.

1597765903872.png

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't put any type of dehumidifier product in ammo boxes.

A company to store your guns and ammo? For ammo, this concept floated a few years back. I can't see buying ammo and letting a company store it till I want it. SHTF You would be SOOL! Some people must have liked it, same people ones who buy gold/silver but don't physically get it. Lol

This ws the concept:

This is the current Web site:

Top Bottom