Target Sports

What 12g shells are yall running for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just curious what you folks are using for home defense shells.
    Slugs, buck, bird...

Im aware of most fo the advantages and disadvantages with using the different shells... just curious about wut other people use.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    00 Buck! I want the SOB dead before EMS gets there. Im going to jail either way till I prove it was self defence. The old man always told me "Dead me tell no tales".

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed!!! Still it would amaze me that someone could still be arrested if they shoot someone that was in their home... WTF!!!

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im running 00 Winchester 2 3/4 shells right now. I'm liking the sounds of the "Flitecontrol wads". Seems everyone is outta stock though! go Figure!!! Just new to the shotgun world and though id get some input! Thanks fellas

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm running 2 3/4" 12 ga. #1 Buck. Remington through "Marine Magnum" I'm not sure if they're 2 3/4" mag.. but it doesn't matter, I won't be firing at targets beyond 60' anyway.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I guess I don't believe in warnings, especially inside my house. My No Tresspassing and Beware of Dog signs are they warning that they get. All they are going to hear is the click of the safety going to FIRE. Buckshot travels a little faster than the speed of sound at close range so I don't think they will hear the gun go bang.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Flachetes here I come!!! My damn. I thought they were illegal also! Damn Geneva Convention or something.

The 2012 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
    CRIMES

Chapter 790
    WEAPONS AND FIREARMS

View Entire Chapter
    790.31 Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon’s breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.
    (1) As used in this section, the term:
    (a) “Armor-piercing bullet” means any bullet which has a steel inner core or core of equivalent hardness and a truncated cone and which is designed for use in a handgun as an armor-piercing or metal-piercing bullet.
    (b) “Exploding bullet” means any bullet that can be fired from any firearm, if such bullet is designed or altered so as to detonate or forcibly break up through the use of an explosive or deflagrant contained wholly or partially within or attached to such bullet. The term does not include any bullet designed to expand or break up through the mechanical forces of impact alone or any signaling device or pest control device not designed to impact on any target.
    (c) “Handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver.
    (d) “Dragon’s breath shotgun shell” means any shotgun shell that contains exothermic pyrophoric misch metal as the projectile and that is designed for the sole purpose of throwing or spewing a flame or fireball to simulate a flamethrower.
    (e) “Bolo shell” means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels as projectiles two or more metal balls connected by solid metal wire.
    (f) “Flechette shell” means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels two or more pieces of fin-stabilized solid metal wire or two or more solid dart-type projectiles.
    (2)(a) Any person who manufactures, sells, offers for sale, or delivers any armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet, or dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (b) Any person who possesses an armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet with knowledge of its armor-piercing or exploding capabilities loaded in a handgun, or who possesses a dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell with knowledge of its capabilities loaded in a firearm, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (c) Any person who possesses with intent to use an armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet or dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell to assist in the commission of a criminal act is guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I load 3" magnum #6 shot for home defense. I think it makes more sense than buck shot inside the house. 300+ pellets vs around 10 for buckshot. A lot more spead and I'm not going to kill my neighbor sleeping next door. At close range inside the house, the bad guy is dead.

Top Bottom