• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Barbers at Marine Bases finished a hair cut with a hot lather and a straight razor neck (back) shave. You could also get a full shave with it if desired. All that was terminated over decades ago due to health concerns. I went back (not tried) to a straight razor after years with multi blade razors. Takes a lot of practice so you don't removed pieces you didn't intend to. I shave my head during summer months with a multi blade but the face gets old school unless I'm pressed for time.

Want a hot shave? Get a mug and rinse a few times until water gets HOT. Fill mug. Take care of something else for a minute or two. Dip brush in mug, empty mug, squirt shave gel in and brush up a lather! A bit of heaven and a closer shave.

My pic won't load now will try later.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welldoya..Sure do,hadn't thought about that in years...Can't even remember the house it was in when I was a kid,but I bet the 2by4s are full by now.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the prep is the most important part of shaving. The hot water to soften your skin and the hair, and the lather worked in with a brush. Some razors will be more forgiving than others but all benefit from a good pre shave and prep routine.

If anyone has any vintage ever ready brushes or handles to get rid of pm me! I like restoring them.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wet Shaving aka Retro

So I walk into this store called " The Art of Shaving" and got a honest to God hot towel and soap lather, straight razor shave........man, that was the nicest, closest shave I've ever had,,,,,,, I'm hooked!

I walked out with a whole kit: badger hair shaving brush, Safety razor & blades, Soap & mug, Pre-shave oil and after shave balm.....I disposed of all disposable razors and will never go back....I've got it bad, I now have 4 different brushes and 5 razors, including a Gillette adjustable from 1967 and one from 1952,,,,,and 3 straight razors and a strop.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What happened to the other thread? I just got a big order of new soaps and stuff in. Proraso is becoming my new favorite!

Edit- that other thread became a bunch of people talking about shaving in the shower, not about actual "wet shaving" With the brush and soap and old school techniques.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What happened to the other thread? I just got a big order of new soaps and stuff in. Proraso is becoming my new favorite!

Edit- that other thread became a bunch of people talking about shaving in the shower, not about actual "wet shaving" With the brush and soap and old school techniques.

yeah, I'm collecting soaps like they're going out of style,,,those cheap ones at the grocer dry me out too much,,,Goat milk soap is a good one. I haven't found Paraso, but alot of barbers loves it. I haven't made the leap to cream. I've spent about 30 hrs on Youtube on wet shaving techniques. I've spent several hours trying to find the right brush/soap combo to make the best lather....you know , that thick, whipped cream lather,,,,,I even made my first batch of pre-shave oil from Glycerine, camphor oil, jojoba oil and lemon/gensing essential oil.

I shop here http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

This is a good deal $25 shipped; http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com/bahashbr.html

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wet Shaving aka Retro

I've been using the proraso pre shave cream. It's LOADED with menthol so it feels great on these hot days we are having! Making a good lather does take some practice, and every soap has it's unique qualities. I also like the col conk soaps, great prices and a very good soap for the money.

I prefer soaps but creams are easier to make a lather with. When you wet your brush, shake and squeeze mostly all of the water out, then load it with soap for a good 30 seconds or so. Then add about a teaspoon of water to a bowl (or the brush if you make a face lather) and swirl it for a good minute, then add more water in small amounts if you need until you get it to where you want it.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I definitely prefer the bowl to make lather. I found a nice little round ceramic bowl. Yeah, making lather with soap is definitely an art. You disposable shavers are missing out. They seem to think that razor burn and pulling and nicks are all part of it. Folks, it doesn't have to be that way! You get none of that with wet shaving. This way has taught me to slow down and enjoy an otherwise mundane experience. Now, it's like a ritual that I look forward to,,,,,oh yeah, I make all the stands for the razors and brushes, too.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also have a gilette travel double edge razor to sell if anyone is interested. The case sucks but the razor is good. Check out Walmart for the van der hagen deluxe soap they sell. A couple bucks and it's one of my favorites. The oil that art of shaving sells will gum up your brush something fierce!! Order some proraso pre/post shave, tons of menthol for summer!

I'll pick it up when I get back in town( I'm in KC, Mo right now),,,,,I'll check out the van der hagen

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the prep is the most important part of shaving. The hot water to soften your skin and the hair, and the lather worked in with a brush. Some razors will be more forgiving than others but all benefit from a good pre shave and prep routine......

The single most revolutionary thing, that's been missing in all my years of shaving, is the pre shave oil. I put that on before the lather and man, that blade glides. Alcohol is the worst thing to put on your face,,,,,,

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The single most revolutionary thing, that's been missing in all my years of shaving, is the pre shave oil. I put that on before the lather and man, that blade glides. Alcohol is the worst thing to put on your face,,,,,,

I need to try that. I've got a couple different samples of pre shave oil from Maggard, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love using a pre shave routine. I used to just wet my face and lather up, then put a hot washcloth on my face for a minute or two then wipe it off and relather before shaving. The proraso pre shave is excellent. I have some art of shaving oil but it's very thick and doesn't work nearly as well. I never touch it anymore! The sandalwood scent is nice though.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love using a pre shave routine. I used to just wet my face and lather up, then put a hot washcloth on my face for a minute or two then wipe it off and relather before shaving. The proraso pre shave is excellent. I have some art of shaving oil but it's very thick and doesn't work nearly as well. I never touch it anymore! The sandalwood scent is nice though.

Yeah the AoS oil is thick, but I canned it since I made my own, with glycerine, castor and tea tree oil. I found a nice goat's milk soap in sandlewood, but I prefer citrus spice,,,,,,,I'm looking for Patouli(sp) oil soap.

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Share some pics of your stands?

Aww, they're really nuthin' fancy,,,,I found some chrome wire and just bent a triangle base and then a single line up to a loop for the razors and a "C" shape for the brushes. It's cool seeing them all standing up on the table, essential to dry the brushes.

DragonSlayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shave my head, usually in the shower. Was thinking about the old school blades, but nervous about cutting my head. Any thoughts on how to do this and not bleed out in the shower?

Top Bottom