• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I go into this store called "The Art of Shaving" and get a honest to GOD hot towel, rich lather, straight razor shave.......I'm hooked. Best shave I ever had..so I walk out with a whole kit: DE razor, Badger hair brush, soap and mug, oil and balm. Disposed of the disposables, I'll never look back. Now I have 2 Gillettes dated 1952 and 1967 adjustable and a Parker in gun metal.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's funny that you posted this. I just recently got into traditional wet shaving with a DE razor. I found my first one at a flea market for $6. It turned out to be a 1954 Gillette TV Super Speed in the original case, worth at least $50.

Yfkwn00.jpg

Then I went on to order a sample pack of 10 or 12 types of blades, a boar brush, bowl, a few different types of shaving soaps, creams and aftershaves and one of these stands: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96637703/wood-shaving-stand-for-safety-razors

I find it to be a much closer shave than using a cartridge razor, it just takes a little more time.

BTW, I ordered most of my stuff from Maggard Razors and I was extremely pleased with their prices, very quick shipping and personalized customer service.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shower for me too....can't hardly shave in front of a mirror. Never gave the older style a chance though, may have to one of these days. I do like it when I go to a barber that uses a straight razor to do the edges.

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to have one of those when I was a kid. It was so I could play shave while dad was really shaving. Ive only had a barber shop shave once, and it was nice. However, I dont think I could do a DE shave though. Id cut myself. Also, I dont grow facial hair fast or full enough to worry about anything outside of a cartridge razor.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I used to shave in the shower with cartridge razors and I even did this morning with my DE because I was running short on time. You can still shave in the shower with a DE if you get a face-lathering shaving cream. This morning I used Lucky Tiger with my Maggard MR10 razor with an Astra Stainless Steel blade. Worked wonderfully with no cuts. Made 2 passes, so it took an extra minute or so more than it would have taken with a cartridge razor.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't buy anything at art of shaving, you greatly overpay for their products. Stick to sites like westcoastshaving.com and similar. A great forum is badger and blade. Buy razors and stuff through the members and supplies from site sponsored vendors. That tv super speed would fetch about 25 bucks in absolute mint condition.

I have been traditional wet shaving for seven years now. I have 6 gilette double edge razors and many different soaps, shave creams, aftershaves and balms. My wife thinks I'm nuts! I only have one brush, a Rooney 1/1 in silver tip. I have a straight razor as well, a dovo 6/8 in tortoise shell. I don't use it much as the learning curve is steep!

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also have a gilette travel double edge razor to sell if anyone is interested. The case sucks but the razor is good. Check out Walmart for the van der hagen deluxe soap they sell. A couple bucks and it's one of my favorites. The oil that art of shaving sells will gum up your brush something fierce!! Order some proraso pre/post shave, tons of menthol for summer!

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haven bought shaving cream in 35 years. When I shave where the beard isn't I just wait untill the end of the shower and they are soft . Unless you like the smell of the shaving cream it is a waste of money.

Milesvdustin

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The best part of shaving with a double edge razor is the blades are so cheap. Buy in bulk they cost about a nickel each and last 3-4 days. So even with a coarse beard it's not expensive to change blades every few shaves or even every shave. There are some extremely sharp blades out there (feather) and many more gentle blades. Get a sampler pack and try them out to see what works best before you buy a bunch.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the shower also, for the last 30 years. I had no idea that was so popular, but it just makes good sense...and less mess. :lol:

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Add me to me the shower camp! Since I'm bald, I just shave head and face while showering!

Yepper....same here, except I'm bald on purpose not by choice hahaha! I found out that regular hair conditioner works wayyyyy better then soap or shaving cream!!!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    You guys can have those old double-edged razors. I grew up shaving with them and experienced way too many nicks. I'll take the safety disposables.
    On a side note, anybody remember back when all the medicine cabinets had blade disposable slots in them ? I guess they dropped down between the 2x4s and stayed there forever.

Top Bottom